BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
tridens
Delivered :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Mounting the iPhone

My 135i is on the way To keep myself from going crazy with anticipation, I'm having fun working out the little details of the car. Anyhow ...

I use my iPhone quite a bit while driving and connect it to the stereo for audio/power. I also use it as a navigation device ... so it needs to be mounted where I can touch the screen, look at it safely while I drive, AND not have an ugly cable out in the open.

Anyone done any custom installs or have any recommended solutions? I've designed some gear, but I'd love to save myself the hassle of custom making a bunch of parts ...

Thank you.

Last edited by tridens; 04-19-2009 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have one of those vent clips, but is is pretty ugly and the vents are precious in the 135.
      04-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Try talking to Panavise. They don't have a mount for the 1er yet, but they do for every other car out there.

http://www.panavise.com/index.html
      04-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
cmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't have one yet, but I think I'm going to pick up a Pro Fit VSM G3. I like this one because it uses a vehicle-specific mount with a ball head that can fit any device-specific holder. I'm not sure how you'd get power to it cleanly, but I'm also not sure I need power.

Here is another mount option. This one isn't as attractive, but there's a wider range of holder's available and some of them have integrated power, like this one. The location of this mount makes power cables a bit easier to deal with, too.

Last edited by cmd; 04-20-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
tridens
Delivered :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
I don't have one yet, but I think I'm going to pick up a Pro Fit VSM G3. I like this one because it uses a vehicle-specific mount with a ball head that can fit any device-specific holder. I'm not sure how you'd get power to it cleanly, but I'm also not sure I need power.
Thank you for the info; I'll look into the Pro Fit ... might be able to modify it a little to deal with the cables. The ProClip one, however, on looks alone.

I really wish companies would put more thought into how their mounts are really going to look/function in the real world ... a lot of people run cables to their devices. If I had my own plastic injection molding machine, I'd make stuff that would eat these product alive. I've been e-mailing some of these companies ... hope they bite on my simple design tweaks.

Last edited by tridens; 04-20-2009 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

have you seen these?

http://www.kudausa.com/kuda_mount_an...08-3-588.html#
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
arsenyc
www.BottleneckGallery.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C / F87 M2C

proclipusa.com i think also has some
      09-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I have the Kuda that fits next to the glove compartment, but it does not come in any colors other than black, which does not go with my interior. I also had problems fitting it properly, but it is easy to put in and take out when I go on longer trips.

I have ordered the proclip mount with the line out (it is on backorder). It doesn't have the leather look of the Kuda, but it is in a much better position for hiding cables. I think it is the best solution for me now, but I have not seen it in person, so I could be wrong. I will post some pics if I ever get the thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
I have the Kuda that fits next to the glove compartment, but it does not come in any colors other than black, which does not go with my interior. I also had problems fitting it properly, but it is easy to put in and take out when I go on longer trips.

I have ordered the proclip mount with the line out (it is on backorder). It doesn't have the leather look of the Kuda, but it is in a much better position for hiding cables. I think it is the best solution for me now, but I have not seen it in person, so I could be wrong. I will post some pics if I ever get the thing.
I am getting a G3 next week and have been trying to figure out how I want my car set-up. I have an 09 and don't have the handsfree / bluetooth option so I can't retro fit.

I was considering the kuda and it wasn't clear how it deals with the wiring. Could you post some pics? How is it for the passenger seating?

If you go proclip - drop me a note if you want to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd View Post
Here is another mount option. This one isn't as attractive, but there's a wider range of holder's available and some of them have integrated power, like this one. The location of this mount makes power cables a bit easier to deal with, too.
I have the ProClip USA mount with the iPhone bracket that has the pass-through dock connector so I can hook it into the AUX input (no 6FL for me)

I think it's a great little solution, if a little on the spendy side - I can rest my hand on the gear shift to steady my input on the iPhone whilst driving and I think it'll be in a great spot for when I decide to do the iPhone nav thing.

The only thing I'd say is that some passengers will knock the mount with their knee, depending on their height/seat position
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBart View Post
I am getting a G3 next week and have been trying to figure out how I want my car set-up. I have an 09 and don't have the handsfree / bluetooth option so I can't retro fit.

I was considering the kuda and it wasn't clear how it deals with the wiring. Could you post some pics? How is it for the passenger seating?

If you go proclip - drop me a note if you want to sell it.
The Kuda is up high enough to not be in the way of the passenger. That being said, I had a Kuda mount in my 330i and it was a much better looking solution than this one. However, they don't make one similar for the one series.

I am sure my gf will not be happy about the proclip taking up some of her space, but I will just ask her to ride in the backseat if she complains.

I usually put the Kuda in for trips because it hooks up to my XM radio. I do not currently have it installed, but I will get it hooked up and get you a picture sometime this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
The Kuda is up high enough to not be in the way of the passenger. That being said, I had a Kuda mount in my 330i and it was a much better looking solution than this one. However, they don't make one similar for the one series.

I am sure my gf will not be happy about the proclip taking up some of her space, but I will just ask her to ride in the backseat if she complains.

I usually put the Kuda in for trips because it hooks up to my XM radio. I do not currently have it installed, but I will get it hooked up and get you a picture sometime this week.
I checked the 330i - one version seems similar to the 1 series and then a smaller one for the upper dash - which did you have? you did see this option ?

http://www.kudausa.com/mount_popup.php?artikel_id=1345

thoughts/comments?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess i really need to wait until I get my hands on the G3.

One thought is just to put it in the armrest (w/ power) and add a blue ant handsfree. The other is to put it on the dash (w/power) and be able to use the gps funtionality (give up my TomTom).

Proclipo makes a vent attachment, from a GPS perspective it would be ideal, cable not so much.

I have one of those cigarette holder plug-ins for my TOMTOM and it places it where your proclip will mount. The spot is useless for a GPS for you have to overly divert your eyes.

Looking forward to the pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaBart View Post
I guess i really need to wait until I get my hands on the G3.

One thought is just to put it in the armrest (w/ power) and add a blue ant handsfree. The other is to put it on the dash (w/power) and be able to use the gps funtionality (give up my TomTom).

Proclipo makes a vent attachment, from a GPS perspective it would be ideal, cable not so much.

I have one of those cigarette holder plug-ins for my TOMTOM and it places it where your proclip will mount. The spot is useless for a GPS for you have to overly divert your eyes.

Looking forward to the pics.
I decided against the mount you linked above because the wires would be hanging from the dash, which I don't like.

Here is a pic from my 330. As you can see, it matched the interior, extended down to the console (which made it easy to hide the wires), and because it was longer, it looked more like part of the car.:

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I have a Garmin that we take on trips. I bought a friction mount so I can just toss it on the dash when we go out of town. Not sure if they make something similar for the Tom Tom.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Not ideal if you're using it for maps, but this works really well for me and is an out of the way, clean install. Note the iPod connection being close to the back of the holder.

Also, I never used my cupholders anyway.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridens View Post
I really wish companies would put more thought into how their mounts are really going to look/function in the real world ... a lot of people run cables to their devices. If I had my own plastic injection molding machine, I'd make stuff that would eat these product alive. I've been e-mailing some of these companies ... hope they bite on my simple design tweaks.

Totally agree!!!

The Jap companies always make nice brackets/holder/chargers that make the device look pretty OEM....

Where as all the western holders seem to look like they have been designed in kindergarten!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I got the last piece for my proclip last night, so I thought I would post a couple pics (sorry for the bad quality). I also put the Kuda mount in the car, so you could see how they sit in different spots.

For my proclip setup, I also added a mini-usb poketdock so that I could power the iPhone and use the line out to feed the aux input on the car. It works great. As you can see, the proclip also mounts near the dash. Unlike other proclip mounts, there is no way to tighten it into any spot you want. You slide it up until it is tight. They did include two sided tape to make sure it stays in place, but I am not sure you need it.

The proclip mount will send a message saying that it is not an Apple product (or something like that) when you put it on the mount. It asks you if you want airplane mode, but you just say no to that. I made a phone call with blutooth and it logged out of the application I was running and sent the call.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #19
jwardell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i, JCWMCS

Does anyone have any pictures of the Pro Fit mount on the 1? I'm wondering if it is any better or higher than the kuda dash mount. Still I'd prefer something just to the right of the instrument cluster, which I don't think really exists.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

UOFMTIGER,

thanks for the pics. I'm using the mophie extra battery/protective case so the phone is "thicker" so I need a slightly wider holder. Proclip makes one not sure if its enough.

I like the Kuda set-up (I have black interior).

So far I ran the cable into the armrest, down the back, pop out where the console meets the carpet and then into the socket under the armrest. Pretty clean looking w/ the exception of the cable - socket to console/carpet. The drivers seat covers it and all done without damaging the interior. I can leave the iphone in the car its not visible.

Step two blue tooth - either ear piece or handsfree. Blue Ant makes products of interest for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
[I'm using the mophie extra battery/protective case so the phone is "thicker" so I need a slightly wider holder. Proclip makes one not sure if its enough.
The proclip mount that I bought is adjustable. It has thumbscrews that will allow the holder to go a lot wider than what I need (with my regular RebelSerpant case). I do not have a Mophie case, but I would be very surpised if you had any problems fitting it.

Actually, if you go to this video, about 5:30-5:40 seconds in, he seems to think think the Mophie will work.

Quote:
I like the Kuda set-up (I have black interior).
With a black interior, I think it would look good. You can drill a hole into the mount and run the wires through it, so you could hide the wires fairly easily.

The proclip mount + pocketdock is pretty much the type of solution I was looking for. I can just pop it on the mount and listen to music and charge it without any problems. Since it uses the aux input, I still have my 160GB iPod hooked up to the ipod connector. That way when I want to listen to my music, I have the ipod or when I want Rhapsody/Pandora/XM, I have the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #22
mattYKZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for all of the pics. I started looking for a holder now too, my iphone 3gs doesn't seem to get a reliable GPS signal from the clip on cup holder.

BahamaBart did you end up trying the G3? I don't get where the G3 will be positioned, do you have any pics of yours?

I like the look of the Kuda too as I have black interior.

I saw Kuda has this mount too:
Appreciate 0