BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MonsterNtheMaking View Post
Wow that's nice work...but I don't think I could handle it haha. The crackle and pop on over run drives me a little nuts. I'm after that smooth, refined power sound. Slightly exotic but at the same time quiet when I'm not on it. Its hard to explain...but I know it when I hear it
Yeah probably not the right set up for you then, I love the snap crackle and pop
But it is suprisingly quiet when driven sedately. Cold start is loud though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Brandonn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z06 | 13 S4

Just installed 3" BMS catless downpipes and full street performance exhaust from Berk. At cruise you can barely hear the exhaust 5/6 gear. 1-4 shifting at 3-4k it sounds good, not quiet, but not obnoxious, no rasp whatsoever. WOT it sounds high pitched/growl that goes with the car very well.

I didn't want something over bearing with a straight pipe/no resonator/no mufflers as I have a customer with that setup and it's just TOO loud. When he pulls up to the shop I think it's a GTR at first.

If I had to change anything on the exhaust, I'd like full 3" mid pipes or I may possible keep the Berk mid pipes and do their race axle back without the muffler to see how that sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon@VinnyTenRacing View Post
Just installed 3" BMS catless downpipes and full street performance exhaust from Berk. At cruise you can barely hear the exhaust 5/6 gear. 1-4 shifting at 3-4k it sounds good, not quiet, but not obnoxious, no rasp whatsoever. WOT it sounds high pitched/growl that goes with the car very well.

I didn't want something over bearing with a straight pipe/no resonator/no mufflers as I have a customer with that setup and it's just TOO loud. When he pulls up to the shop I think it's a GTR at first.

If I had to change anything on the exhaust, I'd like full 3" mid pipes or I may possible keep the Berk mid pipes and do their race axle back without the muffler to see how that sounds.
the DP I have on now is 4" and the midpipe should be here Tues. If I like the difference, down the road when it's no longer a daily driver I will more than likely finish it. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Berk so I'm more than likely going with their axle back eventually... other mods I'd rather put on first.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great set up you have
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #26
guru_method
Eating M3s for breakfast
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 09 135i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
I'm sorry but there is no such thing as too much gargle. Impossible.

And I'll throw in a "That's what she said" for free
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Berk Mids Installed!

What a difference! I'm thoroughly pleased with the set up. I recommend it to anyone who is buying an exhaust (although starting with mids may be smarter option sound wise)

It's an excellent combination having AR DP and berk mids and stock axle back. I may upgrade axle back as time goes on but as for the time being--this is one happy one owner!

Thanks for the responses and advice to those who responded to the thread and gave input!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
What a difference! I'm thoroughly pleased with the set up. I recommend it to anyone who is buying an exhaust (although starting with mids may be smarter option sound wise)
It's an excellent combination having AR DP and berk mids and stock axle back. I may upgrade axle back as time goes on but as for the time being--this is one happy one owner!
Thanks for the responses and advice to those who responded to the thread and gave input!
How is the drone? My AA axleback (everything else stock) resonates so damn much in most of the 2k range that I can barely stand it.

I'd love to have an exhaust that drones the least amount but also has the pops and gurgles- don't care if it has to be a frankenexhaust of different brands from the turbo back.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
How is the drone? My AA axleback (everything else stock) resonates so damn much in most of the 2k range that I can barely stand it.

I'd love to have an exhaust that drones the least amount but also has the pops and gurgles- don't care if it has to be a frankenexhaust of different brands from the turbo back.
The exhaust is smooth and deep, no drone noticed on my way to work this morning (2 main highways, one @ 65 mph and the other at 75-80 mph)

The initial start up it popped pretty hard the first few revs but settled way down comparatively. I haven't romped on it or really gotten on it yet though. I plan on GoPro-ing a video as soon as my cousin gets back from the bahama's with it. For whatever reason I've pretty much always had a frankenexhaust on everything. I tend to not look at manufacturers that go together but more of what yields the best sound/performance/quality/price point for each piece of the exhaust. My note is basically always unique and gets attention everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #30
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
The exhaust is smooth and deep, no drone noticed on my way to work this morning (2 main highways, one @ 65 mph and the other at 75-80 mph)
The initial start up it popped pretty hard the first few revs but settled way down comparatively. I haven't romped on it or really gotten on it yet though. I plan on GoPro-ing a video as soon as my cousin gets back from the bahama's with it. For whatever reason I've pretty much always had a frankenexhaust on everything. I tend to not look at manufacturers that go together but more of what yields the best sound/performance/quality/price point for each piece of the exhaust. My note is basically always unique and gets attention everywhere.
Great, thanks for the info. Looking forward to that video
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #31
mattE82
-
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Sedona Red

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
heres a quick flyby, i have berk resonated mids and an afe axelback