BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #67
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
(Apologies if this comes across as lecturing.)

Sounds very organised, and I think your approach to setting up the 135i is perfect (tyres-suspension-brakes-power-aesthetic). The tyres you have mentioned above are also excellent, particularly if one is compromising between daily and high performance use (due to having only one set of wheels). However, if one were to select any of these "intermediate" tyres, then would a second set of tyres be sufficiently different to warrant the effort, or to provide performance and safety under both favourable and adverse conditions?

The regular 1ers in Melbourne run with full competition tyres (eg TD221, V710) but resort to street tyres (eg PSS or equivalent) for cold and wet weather. Not that we have any particular expertise (in fact I am probably the least competent), but this offers the ideal combination of maximum performance and acceptable safety for our unpredictable Victorian weather.

If you believe there is sufficient difference between semi-slick tyres and RE-11, and that one of these can excel under cold and wet conditions, then this is excellent in principle.

If you do not believe there is sufficient difference, then will you be forced to retire prematurely as rain soaks the circuit?

Two tyres. All conditions.
No problem at all
That's why I'm wondering if commonsense in going to prevail... but really, to commonsense

Here's an alphabetical list of the semis I'm considering:
  • BFGoodrich g-Force R1
  • Bridgestone RE55S
  • Hankook Z214 (grooved) - only 225,245 available
  • Hankook Z221 (R-comp) - only 235,265 available - reports of average wear
  • Hoosier A6, R6
  • Kumho Ecsta V700, V710, V70A
  • Nitto NT01
  • Toyo R888, RA1, RR
  • Yoko A050

As you can see, a lot of options, a lot of research.

I was also considering Federal FZ201 / FZ202 but was recommended against them.

Just my opinion but I think there is a fair amount of difference between those semis and an RE-11 or equivalent - the semis really aren't suitable for wet weather road conditions and take time to get up to temp (but once they do, they can perform very well on the street). I tend to baby the car on the street in most conditions, especially in the wet, so an RE-11 is probably not as much of an issue for me. But I see your point.
If the track is wet, I'd be the first one in - no point in taking risks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #68
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
As you can see, a lot of options, a lot of research.

I was also considering Federal FZ201 / FZ202 but was recommended against them.

Just my opinion but I think there is a fair amount of difference between those semis and an RE-11 or equivalent - the semis really aren't suitable for wet weather road conditions and take time to get up to temp (but once they do, they can perform very well on the street). I tend to baby the car on the street in most conditions, especially in the wet, so an RE-11 is probably not as much of an issue for me. But I see your point.
If the track is wet, I'd be the first one in - no point in taking risks!
From the description of your conservative tendencies, your approach to set up, and your owning a second set of wheels ... actually how much circuit experience do you have? I suspect you must have quite some experience - either first hand, or from racing (or observing) other vehicles.

Regarding the choice of aggressive tyres, this has already been debated ad infinitum. Sorry that I cannot provide any further insights, although the 135i driver here uses V710 and will gladly hammer us 1M posers. You may find further perspectives from the Rennlist and M3 forums, or the track/autocross section of 1addicts. There is greater collective expertise overseas than in Australia alone

Something less commonly addressed is wet weather tyres. There are specifically designed wet weather slicks, but it is not practical to juggle three sets of tyres simply for club level events. Therefore, a premium street tyre is probably sufficient (and will not degrade as the track surface dries out) ie maximum performance summer.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

(I think you can safely disregard comments that certain premium street tyres will overheat or degenerate after X number of laps, because this is simply a matter of tyre management, and not relevant to wet weather usage.)

Would be fantastic if vans (Melbourne) or beemer (Sydney), etc provided some advice
Appreciate 0