BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Donegal-BMW
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible E88

DIY - Brake Pad wear indicator Reset

Wanted to start a separate thread on this topic, if any one knows of a similar thread - please point me to it.

I'm looking to reset my Front and Back Brake Pad wear mileage service intervals. Currently they read "mls ------ ". I have attached photos of the indicators/ alarms I'm getting (3). I have also tried the procedure in the following youtube video with no success.
The front pads/ disks were replaced ~6k, rear pads have about 20% left on them.
Any advice on how to reset the two brake pad service interval would be appreciated.

2008 BMW 128i E88 Conv.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

The brake pad wear sensor is a "consumable" item and will need to be replaced once it is worn down. It is not just something you can reset through the computer. The computer reset is only when you install a new sensor.

Have you replaced your wear sensors?

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Donegal-BMW
Rep

Sam:
The front sensor would have been replaced when the front brakes were done 6 k Miles ago, the rear sensor would not have been replaced since new is my guess.
So I would have expected the Front to show some millage, unless if one sensor goes it triggers both - which does not seem right.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

From the picture it looks like there are separate resets for front and rear. You would be resetting the front only. Here's what another search link said:

If you reset the brake pad sensor, the sensor has to be replaced. The system checks for difference in ohms, between the old sensor and the new one. What I did when I replaced mine was buy one front sensor, and installed it. Then I made my own reset tool out of the old one, and keep it in my toolbox. Just cut the wire short and loop the 2 wires together, and to use it, plug it into the front or rear sensor socket and reset the warning lights in the car. Unplug then then reinstall your old one. Now you don't have to replace them ever if they are not worn down.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Donegal-BMW
Rep

Sam:
Thanks for the note. This is helpful.
Went back my local garage this morning, long story short they want $640 to replace rear pads, rotors and sensor. They would also repair / replace the front sensor if found to be faulty under warranty.
So I held of on committing to all of that, as the car has only 46K on original rotors and I find it hard to believe they are that far gone that they need replacing.
When I got back home I removed the rear passenger wheel, snipped the two wires going to the sensor and shorted them. Put car in diagnostics mode, Front now reads 22K Miles and back reads 5K Miles after a reset. NO ALARMS now being displayed. :-).
Plan is to drop in a new set of pads in back and a new sensor this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

Just FYI; Brake wear sensors are about $13-$14 from FCPEuro. These also have lifetime warranty so you can get them replaced indefinitely if you want.

Good luck!

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Donegal-BMW
Rep

All: Just to close out this thread. I procured a new set of rear pads and a new sensor. Installed on Saturday morning, did not change the rotors at this time, took me probably best part of 2 hours, no real issues once I sources the correct tools. No more alarms, brakes work perfectly. Thanks for all the support.
Appreciate 0