BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #1167
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
To change maps must you return to stock or can you just switch directly between maps?

I just installed my Cobb. Top end seems good but low end power seems just okay. Havent even seen the traction control light come on yet, and im full bolt on stg 2...
u can change map as is.

Maybe you are on linear throttle instead of stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #1168
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
To change maps must you return to stock or can you just switch directly between maps?

I just installed my Cobb. Top end seems good but low end power seems just okay. Havent even seen the traction control light come on yet, and im full bolt on stg 2...
If you are full bolt ons, be sure to try out Stage 2+ and not regular Stage 2. Stage 2+ nets me 117mph trap speeds all day long at the dragstrip on RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #1169
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

When we can expect V401 comming out? Any news
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1170
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Okay i logged my stage 2 sport. I hit a peak of 12psi tapering to 8 psi above 6500rpms.

That seems kind of low for a stg 2 map?

Log is attached if anyone wants to check it out.

Thanks
Steven
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalog1.zip (9.7 KB, 122 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #1171
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
When we can expect V401 comming out? Any news
Very soon!

We are hoping within the next few weeks, but I don't want to over-promise anything. The guys are on the dyno right now fine-tuning!

Ian
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #1172
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

I may have missed it, but what is the prime difference between the Stage 2+ Aggressive and Stage 2+ Sport maps other than the octane requirement. Is it a difference in boost, timing? What exactly changes.

Thanks!
      03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #1173
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Very soon!

We are hoping within the next few weeks, but I don't want to over-promise anything. The guys are on the dyno right now fine-tuning!

Ian
Thank you for response
Also will they include some new features or they will be just finalised version of BETA maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #1174
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Hey guys, I think I know the answer to this, but I'd just like it verified please. I own an 08 135i, which is currently at the dealer for a warranty related issue. It's my personal feelings that BMW should not cover any damage to my car related to mods, so I always leave my mods on when taking the car in. If they deny warranty, fine. Anyway, they are honoring the warranty as the issue for my car is not related to any mods I've done, but they have told me that they need to recode the ECU to finish repairs. I never intended to revert my car back to stock, ECU that is, so I need to uninstall the AP before the dealer can recode the ECU.
My problem is, since COBB didn't give us enough memory in the device in order to run update while keeping your maps on the device, I removed all of my maps and placed them on my computer's desktop. Now, I cannot copy the maps from my desktop back to the COBB, it fails everytime. What the heck is going on here? I think I read somewhere that the stock tune is saved in the background, so I should still be able to plug it in and uninstall and revert to stock correct?

Here is the only file on my COBB right now:
datalog1.csv

The two files on my desktop, which I believe are my stock maps (though I could be completely wrong), are:

BMW_MSD81_0044CC0IJE0S_527_enc.rom
and
BMW_MSD80_0044DC0I8A0S_527_enc.rom

These are the two maps or whatever that I cannot copy back to my COBB from the desktop. I need to uninstall my AP for the dealer in the morning, so please let me know ASAP what you think. I'm mainly just concerned with being able to uninstall and revert to stock, and will worry about flashing back to Stage 2 later. Thanks!

*EDIT* Ok, I've at least got the above two maps now copied back to the AP. It would appear that my device was stuck in some sort of updating loop or something. So now I can transfer maps back and forth again. Very weird, that hasn't happened before. I think I'm OK now, but please let me know if you think otherwise. ;P

Last edited by NickyC; 03-20-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #1175
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

^^ Here's the scenario that keeps me from buying COBB (or any other flash tune)...
You said that BMW needed to recode the ECU to finish the repairs. Meaning, BMW couldn't just return the car to you without recoding the ECU, otherwise whatever repairs they did wouldn't be complete.

So, if you upload the COBB tune now, wouldn't it be the same as BMW not recoding your ECU?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #1176
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
^^ Here's the scenario that keeps me from buying COBB (or any other flash tune)...
You said that BMW needed to recode the ECU to finish the repairs. Meaning, BMW couldn't just return the car to you without recoding the ECU, otherwise whatever repairs they did wouldn't be complete.

So, if you upload the COBB tune now, wouldn't it be the same as BMW not recoding your ECU?
revert back to stock before going to the dealer???
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #1177
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

My car goes to the dealer today, uninstalled my Cobb last night. Took less then 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #1178
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
revert back to stock before going to the dealer???
Either I don't understand what you're saying or you didn't understand my question.

He paid for COBB. Obviously he wants to end up with COBB in the ECU.
It doesn't matter if he goes to dealer with or without COBB.
Dealer puts new software in his ECU as part of a fix for some component that failed.
If he uploads his COBB tune, he'd override dealer's software and the fixed component wouldn't work right.
If he keeps the dealer software, he just lost his money on COBB.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #1179
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Either I don't understand what you're saying or you didn't understand my question.

Dealer puts new software in his ECU as part of a fix for some component that failed.
If he uploads his COBB tune, he'd override dealer's software and the fixed component wouldn't work right.
right ic
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #1180
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

Quote:

He's not going to override the new software, he's going to put in the new boost parameters again overtop the new software install. The Cobb is pretty much fool proof, the hardest part is getting the cover off the odb2 port, and thats pretty easy

The only reason you uninstall it before the dealer visit is so their computers cant detect the tune. When you do the initial install it makes a copy of the current ecu on the Cobb which you can even back up to your PC through usb. When you uninstall it your original saved flash is restored to the car and it is completly stock again. After the dealer does the software updates you get your car back and load your tune back, it has nothing to do with any of the programming.

Last edited by WPG D33Z; 03-21-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #1181
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG D33Z View Post
He's not going to override the new software, he's going to put in the new boost parameters again overtop the new software install. The Cobb is pretty much fool proof, the hardest part is getting the cover off the odb2 port, and thats pretty easy

The only reason you uninstall it before the dealer visit is so their computers cant detect the tune. When you do the initial install it makes a copy of the current ecu on the Cobb which you can even back up to your PC through usb. When you uninstall it your original saved flash is restored to the car and it is completly stock again. After the dealer does the software updates you get your car back and load your tune back, it has nothing to do with any of the programming.
That make sense
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #1182
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That make sense
No, it doesn't.
You agreed with what I said.
You can't agree with him, because what he said is contradictory to what I said.

The COBB (and other flash tunes as well) override the BMW software completely.
The ECU only has room for one version.
You can't have both, the BMW software (with the fix you need) and the COBB software (which was created before the BMW fix).

What he said would apply to piggy-back type tunes, such as JB4.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #1183
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
You agreed with what I said.
You can't agree with him, because what he said is contradictory to what I said.

The COBB (and other flash tunes as well) override the BMW software completely.
The ECU only has room for one version.
You can't have both, the BMW software (with the fix you need) and the COBB software (which was created before the BMW fix).

What he said would apply to piggy-back type tunes, such as JB4.
From what I understand he is saying that the COBB can use the new BMW software and change all the parameters that needs to be changed to turn it into the COBB software?

he is not saying that there will be 2 version.

That is why I said that make sense, I don't know which one is true or false though, would be good if Rob/Ian chimes in.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #1184
Ihave1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

There is no way it overwrites everything otherwise the trim values for the injectors would be lost.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1185
SANTI21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012

Any news for N55 support ?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #1186
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I understand he is saying that the COBB can use the new BMW software and change all the parameters that needs to be changed to turn it into the COBB software?
Yes, but COBB would have to do that port, in their labs. The software doesn't self adjust in the car. Piggy-back software does that, not flash.
So he can't just go back home from the dealer and reinstall his COBB. He has to get an update from COBB first.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #1187
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:

FYI...my adaptive drivers side light was replaced and re-coded by the dealer during the Winter. I re-installed my Cobb AP Stage II last month. If what you are saying is correct, then the re-code of my adaptive light would not work. However, it does work and I am running Stage II.

The Access Port changes things like Ignition Timing, Fueling Curves, Boost Curves, etc., and by doing so, it will allow your motor to produce more power. Once it up-loads these new parameters to the ECU, they are saved so they will remain there until you choose to change them. It does not override the entire coding of the ECU.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 04-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1188
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
FYI...my adaptive drivers side light was replaced and re-coded by the dealer during the Winter. I re-installed my Cobb AP Stage II last month. If what you are saying is correct, then the re-code of my adaptive light would not work. However, it does work and I am running Stage II.
Is it possible that the code for your light resides else where, and not in the same ROM where the engine management software (which is what COBB software replaces) resides?

Last edited by MPBK; 04-01-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0