BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Advan performance "135i Stage 1 & Stage 2, Oil Cooler Kits"

Hey Gents,

I would like to introduce to you all, the oil cooler kits we have developed for the BMW N54/N55 1'er.

Here is a link to a thread on the 1Addicts Australian forum, that has all the relevant info pertaining to our kits, if anyone is interested I suggest you start reading from post #188.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=610395&page=9

FYI,

whilst there are a number of kits on the market, we feel our kits are very attractive in lieu of the quality of the components used and their ease of installation.

Here are a few pics illustrating the "Stage 1" system and its components, prior to being packed up for delivery to a customer.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-20-2012 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Looks like a very pro kit!
Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi guys,

here are a just a few pics illustrating the comparative size of our Stage 1 (15 row) oil cooler and the Stage 2 (20 row) cooler.

As you can see even the Stage 1 core has more frontal surface area than the BMW OE oil cooler and significantly more core volume.

Whilst the 20 row core is a monster in comparison to the tiny OE unit.

Cheers,

JD
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-20-2012 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I pulled the trigger on the Stage 2 last week. Peter said I should receive mine by Wednesday. Goodbye limp!

Justin, can you confirm what parts are now being used? Peter said you're using some new components. I forgot what they were.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Would you be able to fit these oil coolers on a 1M, if so would you go dual stage 1?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Very nice, agreed. Would love to see pics installed and a rough idea of the difficulty level.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
WOLF-PACK
Zero to Hero
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 Gallardo, 16 x5m, 17 330e

Very Nice Kit... IMO, a must have if you put your 1'er through the paces on the track
      05-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I pulled the trigger on the Stage 2 last week. Peter said I should receive mine by Wednesday. Goodbye limp!

Justin, can you confirm what parts are now being used? Peter said you're using some new components. I forgot what they were.
Hey Vinney,

we are now using Aeroflow 550 Series "Full-Flow" competition spec hose ends where possible.

The rest of the kit will be comprised of Aeroflow fittings, Aeroflow 450 Series black braided nylon hose, a Derale 180 degree Fahrenheit external thermostat and a few custom in-house components.

We should have some nice pics of your completed kit online soon.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Looks incredible
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
Would you be able to fit these oil coolers on a 1M, if so would you go dual stage 1?!?
Hey mate,

we are currently looking into fitment on the 1M.

The duct work on the front bar of the 1M is really quite good, so it would be a shame to not utilise that cleverly ducted high speed air.

As such we are thinking that the optimum setup would be two non-extra wide coolers that are 15 or possibly 20 rows in height.

That being said until we have had a good look at a 1M, with the splash liner and front bar removed, it's all speculation at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Very nice, agreed. Would love to see pics installed and a rough idea of the difficulty level.
Thank you,

here are some installation pics.

FYI,

the Stage 1 kit is very easy to install and does not require the removal of the front bar.

Lastly the mounting bracket visible in the pics was just the prototype made from aluminium, the finalised production bracket is made from laser cut 3 mm steel, that is subsequently powder coated.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF-PACK View Post
Very Nice Kit... IMO, a must have if you put your 1'er through the paces on the track
Cheers mate.

To be honest our Stage 1 kit is not intended for the track enthusiast.

It is designed around the needs of a tough street car and for the owner that wishes to aggresively drag race the vehicle.

Our Stage 2 kit with the Setrab (20 row) extra-wide cooler and 180 degree fahrenheit external thermostat, is our "track day kit".

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post
Looks incredible
Yep, it's a nice looking kit, but our Stage 2 kit is a more elaborate setup and features a cooler with 3.85 x the core volume of the BMW OE oil cooler.

We are just finishing up the test fitment of a Stage 2 kit with the improved Areoflow hose ends, prior to shipping it out to a local customer.

So I should have some pretty pics of the entire Stage 2 kit in all its glory, both on and off the vehicle posted up shortly.

In the mean time here are a few more pics of the oil filter housing -10 AN adapter we are using in our Stage 1 kit and a pic of the 20 row Setrab extra-wide cooler, behind the front bar of a 135i, following a Stage 2 installation.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-26-2012 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

here are a few pics of our revised Stage 2 kit, being test fitted to our shop-car prior to delivery to another local customer.

This kit incorporates our revised choice of hose ends, fittings and oil line from Aeroflow, as will all future Stage 1 or Stage 2 kits.

The hose ends pictured are competition spec 550 Series "Full-Flow" fittings from Aeroflow.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 05-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Maybe this has already been answered, so I apologize in advance, but...

1. How much more oil, if any, should be added to accomidate for the larger cooler and lines for the stage 1 and 2 kits?

2. Do these sit in the same locations as the stock cooler to give the appearance of a stock look?

3. How much are both kits shipped to the states? Florida more precise.. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Maybe this has already been answered, so I apologize in advance, but...

1. How much more oil, if any, should be added to accomidate for the larger cooler and lines for the stage 1 and 2 kits?

2. Do these sit in the same locations as the stock cooler to give the appearance of a stock look?

3. How much are both kits shipped to the states? Florida more precise.. thanks!
Hey mate,

in response to your questions.

1. No need to add additional engine oil in lieu of the kits, if your oil level indicator shows Max or close to, that is fine.

2. Yes, both the Stage 1 & Stage 2 cooler mount to the one bracket, which is positioned in the RHS of the vehicle and approximately the same location as the OE oil cooler. However with regards it looking stock, it will obviously not pass for stock at a BMW dealership if that is your concern.

3. Unfortunately you missed out on a GB where our Stage 1 & Stage 2 kits were $650 and $1,000 respectively. I am yet to confirm the non-GB price of our Stage 1 kit, but will do so shortly for you. Our Stage 2 kit is now $1,295 and shipping to the US will be around $200. If you give me your zip code I can obtain an exact shipping estimate.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi guys,

here are some pics of our Stage 2 oil cooler kit assembled, in preparation for delivery to a customer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Sorry... I ment stock as in it appears stock becuase it is in the stock locations and dosnt look like an aftermarket part to the masses who dont know, not from a BMW warranty claims stand point. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sorry... I ment stock as in it appears stock becuase it is in the stock locations and dosnt look like an aftermarket part to the masses who dont know, not from a BMW warranty claims stand point. Thanks.
Oh ok, no problem.

Well in that case I think the quality of the components used and the workmanship of the kit speaks for itself.

When you pop the bonnet and look at the engine bay closely, our kits IMHO are every bit befitting of a luxury BMW vehicle.

Our kits are far from the cheapest on the market, but our aim was never to design an oil cooler kit to be the least expensive.

To put things into perspective the late 2009 135i in the pics, given the condition that it's in and its level of modification, would sell in Sydney for around $70,000.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #20
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Thanks. Yea, your kits look amazing with the quality of the parts, the fit and finish, and the overall performance it gives. I am in the market for one and, excuse my ignorance, do not really understand how much one gives over the other.

For instance, your kit vs the mishimoto universal kit at 19 rows for about a third the price. I mean, other than being a lot less than your kit and it being a universal cooler and having to fab it up, is you oil cooler kit going to out perform this kit or other similar kits on the race track to a noticeable difference? I am not trying to cheap out. I want the best kit money can buy, but I, just like many others, don't want to throw money away if it is not worth the extra money (If you know what I mean). I am maybe looking for a little knowledge on how your cooler is better than this one?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...All/ES2221127/

I am not trying to bash your product or anything. I would buy your kit just for the simple fact that it is P-n-P... But I also care about the function, too. If you want, just have the mods delete this post and reply to me via PM if you dont want to reposnd to everyone.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
SalemChiro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

To Justin@Advan:

Looking at the picture of your oil thermostat bypass plate....I've read that the left hose port (towards passenger side) flows out to the oil cooler and the right hose port (near drivers side) flows back into the oil filter housing. Is that correct?

I'm asking because in the picture you have the opposite flow going into and out of your external thermostat.?.?

Thanks,
S-
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Yea, your kits look amazing with the quality of the parts, the fit and finish, and the overall performance it gives. I am in the market for one and, excuse my ignorance, do not really understand how much one gives over the other.

For instance, your kit vs the mishimoto universal kit at 19 rows for about a third the price. I mean, other than being a lot less than your kit and it being a universal cooler and having to fab it up, is you oil cooler kit going to out perform this kit or other similar kits on the race track to a noticeable difference? I am not trying to cheap out. I want the best kit money can buy, but I, just like many others, don't want to throw money away if it is not worth the extra money (If you know what I mean). I am maybe looking for a little knowledge on how your cooler is better than this one?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...All/ES2221127/

I am not trying to bash your product or anything. I would buy your kit just for the simple fact that it is P-n-P... But I also care about the function, too. If you want, just have the mods delete this post and reply to me via PM if you dont want to reposnd to everyone.

Thanks for the help.

Hey mate,

thank you for your enquiry and no there is no need to have the mods delete your post.

I cannot argue that the kit you provided a link to is certainly cost effective and from what little information there is, the components appear to be ok but it's clear the kit is built around a limited budget.

Conversely we feel that the components used in our kits our the very best available regardless of price and provide a "fit and finish" far beyond the alternative you pointed out.

From the use of a Setrab (20 row) "Extra-wide" cooler that has 3.85 x the core volume of the BMW OE cooler, the choice of Aeroflow "Full-Flow" competition spec -10 AN fittings throughout, the installation of a 180 degree Fahrenheit external thermostat that can be dismantled for the purpose of cleaning, to both the custom mounting bracket and M22 to -10 AN (90 degree hose-ends) that places both the Stage 1 & Stage 2 cores in the ideal position to maximise the heat transfer potential, of the high efficiency Setrab core.

All of the above significantly adds to the cost of the kit, but it also ensures the ongoing reliability of the kit for the life of the vehicle.

What's more whilst the Stett Stage 2 kit was arguably the best performing kit on the market, based on the track data out of the US that is currently available, our design goal was to improve upon the deficiencies of the Stett kit, which IMHO we have succeded in doing.

One of our local customers that has a FBO N54 with an auto trans, just did a track day following the installation of our Stage 2 kit. Whilst I'm yet to see the oil temp data I know he had constant issues resulting in limp modes, due to excessive oil temps in the past, on this occasion he did not.

I will have some track data of our Stage kit shortly and I would be more than happy, to compare that to the oil temps achieved with the mishimoto kit, if there is data available.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0