BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #45
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

holy crap that sounds awesome!!!!! do the neighbors hate you or what? If i had that exhaust in my neighborhood, i KNOW my car would get stolen, haha.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #46
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW View Post
Those are sexy videos....who took them??? :-)
I don't know his name, but supposedly he was born in a mental institution and he sleeps only one hour a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
holy crap that sounds awesome!!!!! do the neighbors hate you or what? If i had that exhaust in my neighborhood, i KNOW my car would get stolen, haha.
Thanks!

And no, tearing through the neighborhood like that isn't a normal occurence. Generally I don't obey the 15 mph speed limit, but definitely don't do 50 mph rips either!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #47
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Ok, well I did a little research on Stainless Steel prices... and the guy isn't bullshitting. I had no idea the stuff was so expensive.

Anyways, I won't be able to justify the purchase just yet, but it looks good and sounds great, so I'll keep it in mind when it's time to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #48
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Ok, well I did a little research on Stainless Steel prices... and the guy isn't bullshitting. I had no idea the stuff was so expensive.

Anyways, I won't be able to justify the purchase just yet, but it looks good and sounds great, so I'll keep it in mind when it's time to upgrade.
It's definitely pricey stuff... And keep in mind that some of the tools used during R&D of this system aren't cheap either (in fact, the word "cheap" shouldn't even be used in this sentence) - a lot of time and $$ went in to the design of this system and I feel it's worth the purchase price (obviously! :biggrin.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #49
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Well guys I got mine on this weekend in a solo effort. I can't even begin to describe the sounds as eloquently and succinctly as JT has done but believe me the sound is awesome...It rocks at high rpm's and has a nice mellow bellow at cruising speeds...I really like the sound...Great sound not overpowering...You will know you don't have the BMW performance exhaust...trust me...This is what the twin turbos were made for...let them sing their wonderful song.

I did the install myself, which I would not recommend from a purely logistical viewpoint.. The OE exhaust is heavvvvvvy...Have some extra jack stands or a scissors jack or two to support it while removing the hookups...It amazed me as to the weight differential between the stock and CPe ...gots to be at least 30 pounds...Read JT's recommendations on raising the car and placing jacks and stands..They were extremely valuable..Also pay close attention to the long screwriver to remove the muffler hangers... Use a little dishwash detergent..better than KY ... and makes a world of difference..Also consider removing the rear diffuser to make access and visibility better..The hard part is getting the old exhaust off. The CPe is a snap, in large part due to fact that it is so much lighter, yet the materials feel and look somuch more substantial. That 3" collector looks like a freakin' sewer pipe and could easily hide small animals...The fit and ease of connection is amazing even for somebody like me. Also the construction and sturdiness of all the parts is something to behold...You know you've made the right decision even before you fire it up....

Would I recommend this system...You better believe it...I've been waiting a little while to get it but it was certainly worth the wait. I defer to JT for any more comments...Just ask if you have any questions...:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #50
Papito135
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjockey View Post
Well guys I got mine on this weekend in a solo effort. I can't even begin to describe the sounds as eloquently and succinctly as JT has done but believe me the sound is awesome...It rocks at high rpm's and has a nice mellow bellow at cruising speeds...I really like the sound...Great sound not overpowering...You will know you don't have the BMW performance exhaust...trust me...This is what the twin turbos were made for...let them sing their wonderful song.

I did the install myself, which I would not recommend from a purely logistical viewpoint.. The OE exhaust is heavvvvvvy...Have some extra jack stands or a scissors jack or two to support it while removing the hookups...It amazed me as to the weight differential between the stock and CPe ...gots to be at least 30 pounds...Read JT's recommendations on raising the car and placing jacks and stands..They were extremely valuable..Also pay close attention to the long screwriver to remove the muffler support rings... Use a little dishwash detergent..better than KY ... and makes a world of difference..Also consider removing the rear diffuser to make access and visibility better..The hard part is getting the old exhaust off. The CPe is a snap, in large part due to fact that it is so much lighter, yet the materials feel and look somuch more substantial. That 3" collector looks like a freakin' sewer pipe and could easily hide small animals...The fit and ease of connection is amazing even for somebody like me. Also the construction and sturdiness of all the parts is something to behold...You know you've made the right decision even before you fire it up....

Would I recommend this system...You better believe it...I've been waiting a little while to get it but it was certainly worth the wait. I defer to JT for any more comments...Just ask if you have any questions...:thumbup:
What did you do with the sensor that controls the valve that closes and open depending on rpm or cold starts.

US Army 11C 1983-1993
09 Sedona Red Metallic 135i
09 Ford F-150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #51
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

You just close it off with the screw and zip tie included in the exhaust hardware...They thought of everything it seems..That is you close off the vacuum hose leading to it
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #52
Papito135
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
You just close it off with the screw and zip tie included in the exhaust hardware...They thought of everything it seems..That is you close off the vacuum hose leading to it
Great that will work.

US Army 11C 1983-1993
09 Ford F-150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #53
Papito135
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TRIX View Post
You should hear it with DPs... WOOOOOOW!!!
I would imagine it sound awesome. Just like having headers.

US Army 11C 1983-1993
09 Ford F-150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #54
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
The OE exhaust is heavvvvvvy...It amazed me as to the weight differential between the stock and CPe ...gots to be at least 30 pounds...
Same here. I couldn't believe the weight of the OEM exhaust. When I helped change mine out for an aftermarket one I was a caught a bit off guard. That rubber counter weight that comes with the OEM doesn't help any either. It does make for a great paper weight though.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #55
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Quote:
You will know you don't have the BMW performance exhaust...trust me...This is what the twin turbos were made for...let them sing their wonderful song.
Because its louder or what?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:36 AM   #56
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Because its louder or what?
From what I've heard in videos the BMW performance exhaust just doesn't seem to open up like this one does... It's too hard to explain because the videos I posted above don't even do it full justice; however, they give you a good idea.

Quite literally the car still has its I6 BMW sound (think deeper now though... like E46 M3), but then you need to add a mixture of MKIV Supra, a very small note of sport bike and one friend even said F1 car (mind you, this friend shot pictures of these cars up-close and personal at MIS so he knows better than many what an F1 car sounds like). This is no exaggeration. Also, during start-up and idle you hear A LOT more of the cool "engine noises" that the stock exhaust hides completely. When the car is started cold I sit in my garage for at least 30 seconds to let it idle/smooth out AND because it sounds so sweet! :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #57
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
From what I've heard in videos the BMW
performance exhaust just doesn't seem to open up like this one does... It's too hard to explain because the videos I posted above don't even do it full justice; however, they give you a good idea.

Quite literally the car still has its I6 BMW sound (think deeper now though... like E46 M3), but then you need to add a mixture of MKIV Supra, a very small note of sport bike and one friend even said F1 car (mind you, this friend shot pictures of these cars up-close and personal at MIS so he knows better than many what an F1 car sounds like). This is no exaggeration. Also, during start-up and idle you hear A LOT more of the cool "engine noises" that the stock exhaust hides completely. When the car is started cold I sit in my garage for at least 30 seconds to let it idle/smooth out AND because it sounds so sweet! :wink:

Exactly...I won't have to go into therapy after all...:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #58
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Exactly...I won't have to go into therapy after all...:biggrin:
I'm actually starting a group that meets on Sunday nights. You should should join our club. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #59
GQ 135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Car sounds good, nice setup cp-e.
      08-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #60
chrisyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I want one of these...in the near future.

Can they be bought/delivered in the uk?:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #61
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisyc View Post
I want one of these...in the near future.

Can they be bought/delivered in the uk?:biggrin:
Obviously you'll wanna call and ask them for yourself, but the cp-e crew is very accomodating and I can't imagine that they'd have any issue with shipping one of these bad boys to the UK provided you're willing to pay extra for shipping... And I can definitely say that it'll be worth the $$! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:46 PM   #62
Chicago1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

jtsherri... so, the setup that you purchased was the full cat-back system, yes? $1423? No resonator (that would just make it quieter, right??)

Say yes, and I'm ordering this tomorrow

Would you also mind short-listing the tools that you used? I have a decent collection of tools, but don't think I have "reverse" torx?

Thanks for your help!! This sounds great.. I posted a while back on the official exhaust thread... over Corsa, Meisterschaft, BMW Performance, etc... cp-e clearly sounds the best! (And I'm sure that video sounds do NOT even come close to what it sounds like in person..) Well done cp-e!
      08-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #63
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I wish there were some clips of what it sounds like with a Manual car and a few more video clips using a different recorder!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #64
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Chicago,

I live about 20 mins from Jason (jtsherri) I am the one that took the videos he posted.You are correct....Full cat back NO resonator. A resonator will make the exhaust quiter.

simple hand tools are all that is needed....

floor jack or ramps
jack stands
12mm socket
E8 reversed star socket
14mm socket
windex or like (helps with the rubber hangers)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #65
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago1 View Post
jtsherri... so, the setup that you purchased was the full cat-back system, yes? $1423? No resonator (that would just make it quieter, right??)

Say yes, and I'm ordering this tomorrow

Would you also mind short-listing the tools that you used? I have a decent collection of tools, but don't think I have "reverse" torx?

Thanks for your help!! This sounds great.. I posted a while back on the official exhaust thread... over Corsa, Meisterschaft, BMW Performance, etc... cp-e clearly sounds the best! (And I'm sure that video sounds do NOT even come close to what it sounds like in person..) Well done cp-e!
Full cat-back, yes.

It's a pretty simple install and shouldn't take long at all. I didn't have the exact tool name, but "E8 reserved star socket" (per Clayton's list below) is the correct name. I actually used an "easy out" from Sears to get it loose and then used an adjustable wrench to tighten it back up. I haven't had any issues with it coming loose using this method. Also, add some Red RTV to the list as you'll need it at the slip joints to avoid any potential leaks.

I 100% agree that the sound AND design of the cp-e™ exhaust is superior to the others. I've noticed there aren't good pics of some of them as well, which has me concerned (especially those with quad tips).

Be expecting a PM from cp-e™ - I called them up and put in the good word for you and the interest you have in the exhaust. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I wish there were some clips of what it sounds like with a Manual car and a few more video clips using a different recorder!
cp-e™ posted their own vids with the exhaust on their shop car, which is a manual. Sounds great!

http://www.cp-e.com/2116.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBMW View Post
Chicago,

I live about 20 mins from Jason (jtsherri) I am the one that took the videos he posted.You are correct....Full cat back NO resonator. A resonator will make the exhaust quiter.

simple hand tools are all that is needed....

floor jack or ramps
jack stands
12mm socket
E8 reserved star socket
14mm socket
windex or like (helps with the rubber hangers)
Thanks, man!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #66
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Sweet vids.. hmm sounds good!
Appreciate 0