02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #45
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
I think my rattles might be coming from the grey styrofoam tray under the trunk liner that holds the tools and mobility kit.

I think this is spot on, I have rattles, so I did move everything loose out of the trunk, but still rattles.
The only cause possible left is the styrofoam, indeed it has just enough space to move and cause rattle in the hard plastic cover.

Some rattle occurs with the armrest with the iPod Y cable, this is easily solved just by raising the armrest a few times, gone is the front rattle.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Some rattle occurs with the armrest with the iPod Y cable, this is easily solved just by raising the armrest a few times, gone is the front rattle.
Indeed, I also noticed that some rattles come from the armrest (although you first think that it's from the passenger seat or rear seats).

Lift and shake the armrest from time to time.

The hardest rattle I discovered in another car was related to the buckle. Drove me nuts not finding it. Buckled and unbuckled another seat belt and the rattle was gone.
      02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
1erlover
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

Im down is Australia so the cold isn't a problem for me, I have a really bad rattle or clunk coming from the rear left window, I sent it back to BMW but they didn't fix it only bringing it back worse. Now they have informed me that they might have to replace the convertible roof.. Does any one see this as a problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think of the armrest. I will try that, and double check the styrofoam in the trunk.
Cheers.
      02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #49
Meijo
BEASTIE
Rep
Drives: ///1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erlover View Post
Im down is Australia so the cold isn't a problem for me, I have a really bad rattle or clunk coming from the rear left window, I sent it back to BMW but they didn't fix it only bringing it back worse. Now they have informed me that they might have to replace the convertible roof.. Does any one see this as a problem?
You are better posting in the General 1 series forums, as the 1M does not come in convertible.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #50
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I checked the armrest and was hopefull that was the source, but alas, it was not.
However, I finally got around to taking the car into the dealership. I was advised that the sway bar bushings and aux dampers as well as
the rear shock mounts are being replaced and that parts are on order. Hopefully no more rattles soon.
      03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #51
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have the rattle when the base hits. Turns out to be the panel under the right rear quarter window that has plenty of play. Is there a fix?
      03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #52
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

^ I just had that area fixed. The BMW tech told me our cars come with less sound insulation then non-M cars for weight savings purposes. They essentially added some insulation and the rattle is now gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #53
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi again Gents, and Ladies. It's -30 out these days, and the rattle has returned. I had my wife in the car, and rattles drive her nuts. She insists that the noise is coming from the trunk, but I told her that I have checked every possible loose piece of trim, etc....Until I noticed the grey fur covered plastic attached to the inside of the trunk lid. It has to be something like that. Over the tiniest little bump, the rattle rattles at least 2-4 times. Like letting a drumstick rebound on a snare drum. The suspension components are too heavy to make this type of sound, in my opinion.
Stay tuned.
      01-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #54
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

3 trips to the dealer to fix a squeak coming somewhere from the rear shelf/side panel. They pretty much pulled every rear panel and foam taped it. Lasts for a day then returns. The SAs have heard it. Techs have heard it. Cold might make it worse. Now I'm at the point of stripping out the panels myself and drive it to see if it's trim panels or something else. I'm thinking a suspension bushing.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #55
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi everyone, finally have some good news. The rattles have left.

Pretty much the entire rear damper system has been replaced on my car now. Main dampers, aux dampers, upper (and lower, I think) shock mounts. When I finally took it in to the dealer again, the tech noticed that the dampers were leaking oil, so they ordered the parts.

Finally, some peace and quiet during the winter. On another note, I noticed that while spinning the tires in 1st gear on snow, as the wheels begin to grip normally, they would experience some "axle hopping" for lack of a better term. That phenomenon is also now fixed.

Cheers.