BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #67
swaite
High School Dropout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

So badass. I love that the ol' CSL gave you a run for your money.

I have to comment on the lack of safety equipment in your car, though. No helmet? I assumed it was mandatory...
      08-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #68
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

I was enjoying this thread for the shear pleasure of the scenic drive at high speed now its being totally over analysed to the max and nit picked apart, well I guess it is the done thing around here, personal insults is just the cherry on top

Off to read another thread .........
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #69
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I respond no problem.

The original 7.50 time of the CSL is not on video . There has been lots of discussion about that time for years. The new GTS was only 2 secs faster then the CSL time in Sportauto. A GTS is way faster then a CSL. Show me a video of a 7.50 lap or 7.30 lap BTG lap with a bog standard CSL.

The 1M lap of 8.15 was slow because horst said the back end was twitchy. So horst can go to the limit, if he get a car which suits him and has no twitchy back end. That time is the time horst can drive thats the not the time the car can do.

So my conclusion is. The 1M time on street tires of 8.15 is too slow. The car can do better. The CSL time of 7.50 i just can t believe it. After driving behind a track prepped CSL i highly doubt the 7.50 or 7.30 BTG Time.

But if you can post a video of a 7.30 BTG of an original CSL i take back all my words.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #70
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
The 1M lap of 8.15 was slow because horst said the back end was twitchy. [...] That time is the time horst can drive thats the not the time the car can do.
But then again, I think the Sport Auto laptimes are more about comparing cars with the same driver.
With different drivers, it would be more a drivers comparison. Doesn't make much sense. When I drive a 1 M and you drive a 116i, we could prove that a 116i is faster on the Ring. And that's why we have Horst von Shoarma: setting laptimes with as much as possible cars with the same driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #71
Lord_Goda
Rep
Drives: M3

what strikes me, video is taken inside 1m, but all you can hear is CSL.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #72
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
This movie shows that the CSL is not much faster then a 1M. CSL in this movie is also more trackfoccussed. Maybe there is something into the drivers. But not 25 secs.
You're wrong there, Andre. You should have rode shotun with Ralf. Imho he is easily that much faster. The CSL is losing a lot by not using the full track and those seconds pile up. When do we repeat it?

Oh... @Onurleft: Just shut up, if you don't know what you're talking about! And you obviously don't! Read Marcels post very carefully and try to understand what he is writing. And btw... Marcel was there on Sunday, so was I and a number of others. Don't know how many GT3 RS and Ferraris we overtook. No, the 1M is not the faster car than the Porsches or Ferraris. We just happen to know the track a little.
      08-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #73
Advevo
Banned
Rep

Emmdrei/Peter

I am certainly no doubt marc with the CSL. He is fast real fast and his car certainly is. I could hardly keep up i gave everything with my very little ring experience.

The only thing i doubt is the 7.50 time of an original CSL and the 8.15 time of the 1M in sport auto.

Horst is an awesome driver. But the 2 cars are far more together in nurburgring time.

Next time i put on some stickier tires and better brake pads. See how it goes then.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #74
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

No doubt about it, Andre. I agree with you 100%. The little M is darn close to the CSL on the Nordschleife. I also agree with you, that HvS never in the world drove that CSL time. Actually the SportAuto lap is a theoretical lap anyhow. They put together the fastest sector times of three laps and come up with one perfect lap. In theory. Had HvS driven that CSL lap, he would have been able to repeat it with the 1M. But then... we also know, that BMW marketing would not have liked that. And no question about his GTS laps... don't know if Rodney overtook you in his GTS... that guy can really fly that thing and then you see how fast that car really is! It's in a completely different league alltogether than M3, 1M or CSL are.

I'm not changing anything on my car. We'll go back when Marcus is well again and then we'll record what the car can do in stock mode. You guys go put stuff on your cars... I'll beat you all stock.
      08-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #75
TL 1M
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Awesome stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #76
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
No doubt about it, Andre. I agree with you 100%. The little M is darn close to the CSL on the Nordschleife. I also agree with you, that HvS never in the world drove that CSL time. Actually the SportAuto lap is a theoretical lap anyhow. They put together the fastest sector times of three laps and come up with one perfect lap. In theory. Had HvS driven that CSL lap, he would have been able to repeat it with the 1M. But then... we also know, that BMW marketing would not have liked that. And no question about his GTS laps... don't know if Rodney overtook you in his GTS... that guy can really fly that thing and then you see how fast that car really is! It's in a completely different league alltogether than M3, 1M or CSL are.

I'm not changing anything on my car. We'll go back when Marcus is well again and then we'll record what the car can do in stock mode. You guys go put stuff on your cars... I'll beat you all stock.
Too bad it was so crowded this weekend. I would not mind to be shotgun a next we both are there.
The only thing after the weekend are my brakes, to make some noise and vibrate a bit while braking now. Guess some deposit which need to be driven off. I was a bit to gentle on the brakes the first laps... Some more heat resistant pads would be nice. When the current ones are gone I will go for the BMW sport pads. For the rest my car also stays stock
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #77
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

My discs are slightly askew also, Marcel. What kills the dics is coming off a lap with hot brakes and having to stand and wait before you can even get off the track (took us half an hour on the last lap, before we got the car off the track). Usually I really cool the car (and the brakes) before I park it. That was simply impossible on Sunday. Didn't have that problem the last time we were there. We'll repeat that, for sure! Looking forward to it!
      08-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #78
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
So badass. I love that the ol' CSL gave you a run for your money.

I have to comment on the lack of safety equipment in your car, though. No helmet? I assumed it was mandatory...
The Germans consider the Nürburgring a normal piece of road, not a race track so you don't need a helmet or anything. That's the beauty of it; you just show up in your car, pay a few Euros and get on with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #79
Advevo
Banned
Rep

Marcel

The original pads are made for comfort. They can t handle the heat. When the pads get over the working temp, they put the deposit on the discs hence why you have some vibration. It wil go away in a week or so if you drive some miles.

My pads are glazed i have a big drone in the car when i brake. This will also be gone when i drive some miles.

Next time i certainly change pads. Get some endurance pads like PFC06 next time. They be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #80
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Marcel

The original pads are made for comfort. They can t handle the heat. When the pads get over the working temp, they put the deposit on the discs hence why you have some vibration. It wil go away in a week or so if you drive some miles.

My pads are glazed i have a big drone in the car when i brake. This will also be gone when i drive some miles.

Next time i certainly change pads. Get some endurance pads like PFC06 next time. They be fine.
Thanks. My pads are also glazed , I have the same drone. Will be fine.
I want to use the stock "sport" pads because of warranty reasons. Have to check that with my dealership here.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #81
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The Germans consider the Nürburgring a normal piece of road, not a race track so you don't need a helmet or anything. That's the beauty of it; you just show up in your car, pay a few Euros and get on with it.
Although it isn't opened every day. Last year we had a trackday on the Nordschleife and some Americans showed up. They came to Europe because they wanted to drive the Nürburgring once, in a Merc E-Class of all cars (E200 CDI or something), but they didn't expect a trackday there ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #82
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My discs are slightly askew also, Marcel. What kills the dics is coming off a lap with hot brakes and having to stand and wait before you can even get off the track (took us half an hour on the last lap, before we got the car off the track). Usually I really cool the car (and the brakes) before I park it. That was simply impossible on Sunday. Didn't have that problem the last time we were there. We'll repeat that, for sure! Looking forward to it!
I was already going "gentle" from Schwalbenschwansch on, no braking, and let it role to a slow speed to use the whole straight for cooling.

looking forward to our next meeting!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #83
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
exactly, during touristenfahrten it is a toll-road. Family cars with the whole family, a big bus with people in it doing a site seeing lap, ice cream van, utility vans, ... I saw more or less driving anything there.
Some people forget this when the come there. They think they are on a race track and are racing. Normal traffic rules apply though, so e.g. no overtaking on the right. The police will come if you create an accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #84
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

It would nice if next time the same driver drives both cars and then compare there lap times in 1M vs CSL.

Regardless that was a great video and superb driving by both guys in traffic.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #85
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
It would nice if next time the same driver drives both cars and then compare there lap times in 1M vs CSL.
Come on, keep it serious. Would you give your own CSL to someone else, especially if he's going to drive it around a track? And if you were the driver, would you risk wrecking someone elses car? You people have to realize, that this is fans driving cars and writing about cars they have driven / have driven against in "friendly" mode. This is not an attempt to create pseudo-scientific data for others to brag about when they are out for a beer with their friends. We were there driving our cars and enjoying the company of a bunch of fellow petrolheads. It's called real life. Try it sometime.
      08-02-2011, 06:21 AM   #86
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Advevo - What's with the horn beeping at around 1:02 mins?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #87
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Come on, keep it serious. Would you give your own CSL to someone else, especially if he's going to drive it around a track? And if you were the driver, would you risk wrecking someone elses car? You people have to realize, that this is fans driving cars and writing about cars they have driven / have driven against in "friendly" mode. This is not an attempt to create pseudo-scientific data for others to brag about when they are out for a beer with their friends. We were there driving our cars and enjoying the company of a bunch of fellow petrolheads. It's called real life. Try it sometime.
But by stating times and contesting previous reports you are attempting to "state scientific data". And it appears to only be about bragging rights whether over beer or on a forum. Albeit a lot of fun in the process.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #88
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I don't see it as anyone bragging.

He (Advevo) is a professional race driver, and if nothing else, his insights in this thread indicate that the 1M and CSL are probably very close. (I don't know much about the drivers' relative skills, of course). Nonetheless, the results are intriguing, and I appreciate Advevo's insights and knowledge.
Appreciate 0