BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
USB Playlist not Showing Up

First: I have searched high and low and found some stuff on this topic, but none of which has been a solution to the problem that I am having.

That being said, here is some background...I have a 16GB Patriot Rage (fastest USB 2.0 drive on the market) and I have gone through and set up my music hierarchy as such:

Music -> A - E -> Artist1, Artist2, etc
-> F - K -> Artist1, Artist2, etc

I also used Playlist Export by Eric Daugherty in order to export the playlists that I had created in iTunes. The playlists were exported in .m3u format and put in the root of the USB drive. So it has Music (as shown above) and then the playlists (All.m3u, Alternative.m3u, etc)

Here is the problem: I plug the USB drive in, and let it do its thing for about 4-5 min until it parses and builds the Artist, Genre, Album, etc. index. This works flawlessly. However, when I go into 'List' all it says is "Empty List"

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the car isn't recognizing the playlists. I have tried exporting the playlist in m3u format, as well as m3u8 format, but to no avail.

I really need help so if anyone has any input I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Cam
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Sorry, I just browse the directory. I tend to listen to full albums at a time, never had the desire for a play list. I think people are seeing your question, just don't know the answer.

There's a huge instruction manual for the car (~ 250 pages or so), does it say anything in there about it? It gets rpetty detailed about some things.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

6FL sucks

I was having issues with my iPod which would randomly reboot or lock up so I decided to use a USB drive instead. I had the similar problem on my car that you're having. Sometimes the playlists would show up and other times they would not. Some of my playlists were thousands of tracks, but even when they did show up they were incomplete. I tried everything imaginable to get it to work, spent countless hours. Don't bother wasting your time using playlists, the interface sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I was having issues with my iPod which would randomly reboot or lock up so I decided to use a USB drive instead. I had the similar problem on my car that you're having. Sometimes the playlists would show up and other times they would not. Some of my playlists were thousands of tracks, but even when they did show up they were incomplete. I tried everything imaginable to get it to work, spent countless hours. Don't bother wasting your time using playlists, the interface sucks.
I actually figured it out and posted on this guys thread. Check out what I do, it works really well actually.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664904

Its a few posts down
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
I actually figured it out and posted on this guys thread. Check out what I do, it works really well actually.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664904

Its a few posts down
I read what you did although I'm still a bit confused on your process. Almost sounds like a lot of extra and unnecessary steps. I'm guessing your playlists are small. My All.m3u playlist is roughly 6k tracks and I have other playlists that are 4k and 2k as well as some smaller ones. The iPod 6FL option just couldn't handle them. It would take 15~20 before the All.m3u playlist would appear under playlists and even then when you browsed tracks the list was incomplete. For example, you could see tracks from A-L but nothing more and then other times I would go back to the All.m3u and browse it to only see tracks from A-G.

This is why I gave up, it's as if the system kept rereading the playlist instead of caching it into memory and it never was quite able to read the whole thing properly. It does sound like you have yours working for your needs. Unfortunately for me however, I'm stuck with a randomly rebooting iPod.
Appreciate 0