BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #23
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Just get an iPhone 7 in less than 2 weeks. It will be even faster and will at least improve the camera and screen to close that gap somewhat. People comparing the S7 and iPhone 6s are really comparing new versus 1 year old.

The Android screens are better, but you'll probably have a hard time noticing unless they are side by side. I like my note 5 screen and all, but I've used someone's iPhone 6s Plus and really don't think, oh this screen sucks. It looks good too. The screens are small, so it's not like a TV.

I'm so frustrated with Android, I'm willing to buy the iPhone out of cycle bc I don't want to wait for my contract to end.
Ohh man...now with this info and me questioning whether to go iPhone, I would be smart to wait a couple weeks and see what the iPhone 7 has going for it. I'm just wondering if I did decide to switch it up and go iPhone, if I would have to wait in some line overnight and wait a couple weeks for the phone to show up.
This just complicated the whole thing as I was set to pull the trigger this week on an edge or Note.....guess if I do end up with an iPhone 7 I will have you to thank, since I did not know it will probably be coming out so soon.
      08-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #24
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Had a Note 4 and a S6 Edge Plus

Both were great phones, however, after they were updated to marshmallow, battery life TANKED.

Otherwise, the phones were miles ahead of my iPhone's.

I currently have 6s plus as the battery life is ridiculously good. I concede it's not as advanced as the androids, but battery life is important to me so the iPhone is good for now.

And don't tell me that crap about carrying a battery pack with you or buy a charging case, that's not practical for me.
What every day tasks are really miles ahead? I never use my stylus and unless you mean the higher resolution screen or some customization, we pretty much do basic things daily on phones. The more ram, more cores, and more Ghz certainly aren't helping me now.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Ohh man...now with this info and me questioning whether to go iPhone, I would be smart to wait a couple weeks and see what the iPhone 7 has going for it. I'm just wondering if I did decide to switch it up and go iPhone, if I would have to wait in some line overnight and wait a couple weeks for the phone to show up.
This just complicated the whole thing as I was set to pull the trigger this week on an edge or Note.....guess if I do end up with an iPhone 7 I will have you to thank, since I did not know it will probably be coming out so soon.
I think the iPhone 7 will be pretty good and I've heard the Edge is good too. You probably won't hate either one, but I am officially done with Android and I was their biggest supporter until recently. I'm just pissed I paid $900 for this Note that runs like an absolute pig. If you care about user experience, I think iPhone is the way to go. If you want the best tech, best screen, best specs, get the Samsung phones.

Again, if that doesn't translate to real world performance, who cares what's in it.

Also, at least go look at the iPhone 7 before choosing. It's going to be better, despite people whining about it not being new tech enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Android is so far beyond iOS in so many ways, IMHO. I have been using galaxy phones since the Galaxy Nexus (epic). I did the unlock custom ROM thing but have settled in since my old S4.

Currently on a Note5 and it's the best of one I've ever had. Also had have a Note2 on a custom ROM for MHD .

I recently started using the stylus pretty heavily and it is opening up a totally new world. It's a perfect example of how much you can do with Android (not just Samsung phones). I practically work exclusively from my phone. Heavy Google user for work. Moving files around, editing, web browsing etc. Now cards are awesome.

Now.. My company provides us with iPhones (no clue why we can't have androids). I had an iPhone 4 for a couple years... Turned it on 1x. It was so incredibly pathetic I just couldn't understand people were so loyal and preferred that phone to the S5 I had at that time.

I recently had an opportunity to upgrade my work phone and got a 6s. There are many things I like about it. The size...it feels great on your hand. It is very smooth. Excellent battery life. Camera etc etc. The thing that I always arrive at is the lack of ability to customize or do things "my way". The keyboard is terrible. Little things that are so easy on Android (cut & paste, long press menus, intuitive little things...) are such a PITA on the iPhone.

The iPhone does a limited amount of things really well. Android does seemingly endless things...some really well, some so-so and some poorly. The variety and freedom that android brings is not for everyone but I couldn't imagine using my iPhone for more than playing some podcasts, making phone calls and reading emails.

To each their own..live and let live and all that stuff!
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      08-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #27
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
I think the iPhone 7 will be pretty good and I've heard the Edge is good too. You probably won't hate either one, but I am officially done with Android and I was their biggest supporter until recently. I'm just pissed I paid $900 for this Note that runs like an absolute pig. If you care about user experience, I think iPhone is the way to go. If you want the best tech, best screen, best specs, get the Samsung phones.

Again, if that doesn't translate to real world performance, who cares what's in it.

Also, at least go look at the iPhone 7 before choosing. It's going to be better, despite people whining about it not being new tech enough.
A guy here at work has an edge he bought a week ago. I was trying it out a few minutes ago and it's pretty nice--fast with a sweet display. The edge thing is kinda cool, not sure how that plays into usage. I was just reading on the "rumored" features of the Iphone7 and plus. One is a dual lens camera on the plus closing the gap between phone cameras and DSLR's.
I wonder why your Note 5 would run differently than an S5...maybe some defect.
      08-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #28
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What every day tasks are really miles ahead? I never use my stylus and unless you mean the higher resolution screen or some customization, we pretty much do basic things daily on phones. The more ram, more cores, and more Ghz certainly aren't helping me now.
Just curious...have you done a factory reset with your Note5? Did you install a lot of apps with excessive notifications and premissions?

Is the battery drain your biggest issue? What else is causing you trouble?

I ask because I have the same phone and consider myself an advanced android user. I get great life out of mine, have very few issues pop up and they're usually related to an app which I will delete or force stop and clean cache. Check all app notifications as well.

Lots of little things that can impact battery. No doubt the iPhone smokes these phones with batter. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #29
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
A guy here at work has an edge he bought a week ago. I was trying it out a few minutes ago and it's pretty nice--fast with a sweet display. The edge thing is kinda cool, not sure how that plays into usage. I was just reading on the "rumored" features of the Iphone7 and plus. One is a dual lens camera on the plus closing the gap between phone cameras and DSLR's.
I wonder why your Note 5 would run differently than an S5...maybe some defect.
The dual lens camera is going to be good in the iPhone. I also think they will upgrade the screen and battery life significantly.

Thing about this Note 5 is that I bought it to replace another Samsung phone with issues after 12 months. The previous Samsung stopped charging all together, but I was so into Android, I bought yet another Samsung and now have issues again.

iPhone 8 is going to be the tenth anniversary and I predict will be the update everyone is waiting for with a huge leap, but I think iPhone 7 will be a solid upgrade, particularly if you've been away from Apple.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Just curious...have you done a factory reset with your Note5? Did you install a lot of apps with excessive notifications and premissions?

I ask because I have the same phone and consider myself an advanced android user. I get great life out of mine, have very few issues pop up and they're usually related to an app which I will delete or force stop and clean cache. Check all app notifications as well.

Lots of little things that can impact battery. No doubt the iPhone smokes these phones with batter. Not even close.
This must be an issue internally. I've done reading on it and others have the issue with note 5 and also note 4. When I get to 40% battery, my phone says "critically low" and goes to 1% battery and turns off. I literally have 0 games on my phone and only have basic apps like Amazon, banking, eBay, Google apps, finance, and Yahoo.

I have taken it into Att and they did a factory reset that helped for a day, but back to same issues on and off since then.

My main problems are the battery thing, messages app slowing down and duplicating my words when typing, Google Maps crashing, navigation crashing after 20minutes of being on, disappearing calendar and other widgets, and general "gallery has stopped" messages.

I'm a pretty technically sound person and just continue to have a buggy experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #31
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

I think the problem is Samsungs touch whiz or whatever shit overlays android. Honestly, I think Android would be good if it were more pure, but I, not going to mess with managing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #32
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I get the double word predict from time to time and it bugs the fucking shit out of me!

Yes...vanila AOSP android is the best for sure. That's why nexus phones are so great. Thoiugh, I bought the nexus 6 Motorola and it is just too big. Sitting in my desk drawer..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #33
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

I have a S7 edge after having an iPhone since the very first one. I've used every generation of iPhone up until the 6. Making the switch wasn't too bad, I got used to the phone right away. I'd definitely recommend getting it. it works a lot faster than my iPhone 6 did. Camera and screen are in a different league (still get amazed on how black the blacks are). I have a 200gb sd card in it.. so I get 232gb total space. the phone is water proof, I was in Niagara Falls last week and took the boat tour up to the falls and got some nice videos without worrying about the phone dieing because of the water.
      08-29-2016, 03:42 AM   #34
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Using s7 edge. Love it but my nexus 6p was better in everything except for the camera. Samsung pay is a nice feature too. I have a excellent condition verizon one if you want to save some money. I'd gladly upgrade for usb c
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Seriously, seriously give the Blackberry Priv a look, it runs android, absolutely effing brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #36
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Seriously, seriously give the Blackberry Priv a look, it runs android, absolutely offing brilliant.
Oxymoron

TROLOLOLOL
      08-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #37
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

i picked up an S7 a couple weeks ago after my LG G4 shit the bed for the 3rd time in 1 yr. (3 different phones, all ended up not working after a few months)

Went with the S7 over the S7 Edge due to my love of dropping and/or cracking phone screens, and I felt the Edge provided a much easier way for me to break it.

As for the look and feel, I love the way it looks, and while it is big, it isnt bigger than everything else thats out. I was a Samsung guy since the Galaxy phones came out for the longest time. S, S2, S3, S4 skipped S5 and S6, and this phone operates exactly like the rest imo, just faster and better.

Still wish it had a removeable battery, but fast charge can usually get me enough juice to keep rolling throughout the day.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      08-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #38
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Had a Note 4 and a S6 Edge Plus

Both were great phones, however, after they were updated to marshmallow, battery life TANKED.

Otherwise, the phones were miles ahead of my iPhone's.

I currently have 6s plus as the battery life is ridiculously good. I concede it's not as advanced as the androids, but battery life is important to me so the iPhone is good for now.

And don't tell me that crap about carrying a battery pack with you or buy a charging case, that's not practical for me.
I would say it was the little things on android that you would notice that the iPhone didn't have.

I used the stylus a lot to make quick notes when they came to mind. Was it a deal breaker? Not in the beginning, but I grew to like it.

You must concede that the customization of android is a great thing compared to IOS.

I'm not a fanboy as I've tried both and both are good in their own respects.

With that said, I'm happy with my 6SP battery life.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #39
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post

This must be an issue internally. I've done reading on it and others have the issue with note 5 and also note 4. When I get to 40% battery, my phone says "critically low" and goes to 1% battery and turns off. I literally have 0 games on my phone and only have basic apps like Amazon, banking, eBay, Google apps, finance, and Yahoo.

I have taken it into Att and they did a factory reset that helped for a day, but back to same issues on and off since then.

My main problems are the battery thing, messages app slowing down and duplicating my words when typing, Google Maps crashing, navigation crashing after 20minutes of being on, disappearing calendar and other widgets, and general "gallery has stopped" messages.

I'm a pretty technically sound person and just continue to have a buggy experience.
What keyboard do you use? I used Google keyboard and it worked great on my androids.

Messaging apps: I used Google Messenger as it was stable.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #40
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I would say it was the little things on android that you would notice that the iPhone didn't have.

I used the stylus a lot to make quick notes when they came to mind. Was it a deal breaker? Not in the beginning, but I grew to like it.

You must concede that the customization of android is a great thing compared to IOS.

I'm not a fanboy as I've tried both and both are good in their own respects.

With that said, I'm happy with my 6SP battery life.
Trolling aside, I am not really an Apple fanboi, but I will just throw this out there. I was a BIG phone customizer - did hexfile editing to customize firmwares on Nokias... did "hacking" on Windows Mobile phones through WinMo5 (the last version before the iPhone hit) and even did jailbreaking when iPhone didn't have a few things I really liked. Ironically, now, I like that I DON'T have to customize anything. I definitely get how some love the ability to do all that - it is just interesting that once it got to a point where it had everything I need, I didn't miss the customizing so much. That said, removable battery and sd card storage would be good, but honestly I have never needed them - I buy the highest capacity iPhone when I get a new one and it seems to do fine. I only have a few thousand songs at 256kbps, so no real capacity issue. If I went Android, I am sure I would love it, but more as a tech toy than as a tool - which is what my iPhone has become - a tool. My 2cents.
      08-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #41
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Been on the android train for the last 5 years. Currently have a Note 3 which is the phone I've had the longest - about 2.5 years. It has held up well, but has been really laggy lately. Annoying, but it's served me well. I love the big screen, the s-pen is useful.

Funny thing is I have an Iphone 5s as a work phone, performs much better than the Note 3 now. Maybe it's just me, but I don't need all the features that Android had that I'd used to exploit. Now I just want a fast and easy to use UI. I don't tweak things as much as I used to. Plus Imessage is so much easier to use than android's messaging app.

I don't know if I will go with the Note 7 with the Iphone 7 coming up. I am waiting for the release before I go to tmobile and trade my note 3.
      08-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #42
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Android for latest and greatest, multi taskers, people rely heavily on their phones.

iPhone for security, simple UI and light data users. Also if you use nothing but Apple products it's pretty much a no brainer to have an iPhone.

I personally use my S6 edge very heavily from entering notes, pics, social media, work, vids/movies, etc.. I like the ability to customize literally everything. I do believe Android is prone to data security issues and that's why a lot of major companies wont issue them. Plus the enterprise architecture and support for iPhones is much cheaper and simpler.

The iPhone is now becoming the "old person" phone. It's super easy to use, lot of features and VERY stable. With the advancements and features of Galaxy phones and of the like, many Apple users are jumping ship. Apple's lack of innovation and vision is costing them new and returning users.

Walk by any Apple store... who are you going to see in there... little kids and senior citizens. Even the majority of millennials jumped ship because they want more.
Appreciate 2
jtodd_fl6703.50
jgoens3787.50
      08-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #43
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I think one of the biggest things that I prefer Android over Iphone is the swype text. I tend to pull out my personal phone (S7) instead of my work phone (Iphone 6) when I have to write up a long email or take notes. Internet browsing I also prefer the android over the iphone. Just feels smoother imo. And the maps/navigation on the Iphone just doesnt even come close imo. Iphone always sends me on some obscure route to get where Im going.

And ive had both Iphones and Androids since they pretty much came out, so its not like either one is more familiar to me. Bought the very 1st Iphone and the very 1st HTC Google phone.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      08-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #44
JS135
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-Sport

Had the Galaxy s5 and moved onto the S7. Pretty solid phone with a good battery. Very snappy and functions as described.

Had the Note as a loaner phone and hated it. Way too big
Appreciate 0