BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Polishing in Different Temperatures

Just wondering what everyone's take is on polishing in different temperatures using your DA polisher.

Does a cooler temperature mean a longer polish time? What is an ideal temperature if there is one? Will a closed garage be "warm enough" to polish during the winter months?

I'm asking because I plan to polish this weekend or next weekend, and I'm sure the temperature will be less than 10 degrees Celsius by then.....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Just wondering what everyone's take is on polishing in different temperatures using your DA polisher.

Does a cooler temperature mean a longer polish time? What is an ideal temperature if there is one? Will a closed garage be "warm enough" to polish during the winter months?

I'm asking because I plan to polish this weekend or next weekend, and I'm sure the temperature will be less than 10 degrees Celsius by then.....
Read the instructions
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Polishing breakdown time will vary as temperature (and humidity) greatly.

Typically, too hot temperatures will cause the polish to 1-flash pass and a lower temperature with low RH will cause a ton of dusting.

I'd recommend a space heater or something. Ideal temperatures are 55F to 70F
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Humidity plays a big factor...I learned this from Tdekany.

It is best to bring a space heater to keep the panels being polished at an acceptable temperature. Seal up the garage and doors!
      10-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

It probably wouldn't take too much to get the garage temperature into the mid-50s. The polishing will go better, and you will be more willing to take the time needed to do a good job.

Once winter sets in, all bets are off unless one has a heated garage (sigh).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Thumbs down How Temperature and Humidity affects Product Application

Detailing products should be applied to a cool dry surface out of direct sunlight (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) ideal range between 50 - 80.oF (10.oC - 26.oC) the carrier system for waxes is solvents, while polishes (and waxes) use oils for surface lubrication. At lower temperatures they tend to solidify and at higher surface temperatures they evaporate allowing products to dry out and you risk ‘dry buffing’.

Humidity and dew point saturation temperature (the temperature which water vapour will condense into water) will also affect the application of waxes and sealants. Micro particles of moisture will form on the horizontal panels and due to the oil content in waxes it will inhibit the adhesion process, water will interfere with the cross-linking of a polymer sealant

Excess humidity will also affect ‘how’ a wax or sealant dries (i.e. it may cause hazing or clouding of the surface) and will also prolong product drying and outgas times

The other climate related condition that should be avoided when applying car care products is direct sunlight, as this will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures causing the product to dry prematurely and may render it ineffective.

These are the temperatures and conditions that are relative to the application of car care products; the most important is the actual surface temperature of the vehicle.

Surface Temperature - (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) between 50 (10.oC) and 80.oF (26.oC) products will work well within a much broader temperature range, i.e. 45. °F to 90.° F (4.5-32.oC) but at 45 degrees it will take much longer to dry, perhaps as much as two to three hours) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 70° F (15-21.oC) range.

Dew point – or saturation temperature; this is the temperature to which a given parcel of humid air must be cooled, at constant barometric pressure, for water vapour to condense into water. A high relative humidity indicates that the dew point is closer to the current air temperature. Relative humidity of 100% indicates the dew point is equal to the current temperature and the air is maximally saturated with water. As the temperature approaches 100% humidity it will have a negative effect on the way products cross-link (coatings, polymers, etc) and detailing products dry (wax, dressings, etc)

Cross-linking times- approximate cross-link period at various temperatures; at 60.oF - 48 hours, 70.oF-36 hours, 80.oF - 24 hours (cross-linking is a function of temperature, humidity and time)

Humidity and dew point - saturation temperature (the temperature which water vapour will condense into water) will also affect the application of waxes and sealants.
Micro particles of moisture will form on the horizontal panels and due to the oil content in waxes it will inhibit the adhesion process, water will interfere with the cross-linking of a polymer sealant

Hot ambient temperatures- most detailing products contain solvents that if used on a hot surface will flash (evaporate) and will negatively affect the product used. The oils and waxes used in polishes to provide surface lubrication will evaporate, leading to dry buffing and surface scratches

Using cold water on hot metal will cause heat stress, which will lead to the metal deforming, cracking and failure (rotors, engine parts) once they are warped the brakes cannot work, thermal shock could also cause the engine block structurally fail. The same principle applies to hot water on a cold surface (i.e. defrosting ice from a windscreen)

Cold ambient temperatures - (>40.°F ) - water- based products (polish, wax, fabric cleaners, etc) will be negatively affected at lower temps i.e. some polishes use wax or oils as a lubricant, which will solidify during lower temp conditions, causing the polish to 'clump' and become unworkable. Product drying and cross-linking times will also be negatively affected by colder temperatures

The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to; so surface preparation is of paramount importance. More wax or sealant does not equate to better or longer protection. It cannot be emphasized enough ‘Apply products very sparingly’ Ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used (1.5 – 2.0 oz should be sufficient for most vehicles) ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used.

Once you've applied a very thin layer you should be able to see the lighting s reflection. It should look translucent, like Vaseline®. You can tell where the product has been applied; as you wipe the surface with a clean micro fibre towel you will feel resistance
Appreciate 0