BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
This car is 1 tough cookie

Well I just had an unfortunate evening. Turning onto my street, the car in front of me stopped suddenly to make a left turn. I stopped in time, didn't even slam on my brakes to do it. The guy behind me, however, didn't have 6-pot Brembos in his POS Cavaliere. BAM! He hit my car with enough force to send everything in my passenger seat, including my dinner, onto the floor board, and even popped my shade open on my sunroof.

Getting out of the car, I was expecting the whole rear to be smashed in. It was a good whack. I walk behind the car and to my surprise, damage was extremely minimal. The only thing I could see was my iCarbon CF diffuser was cracked. The bumper itself was fine. His front bumper, on the other hand, was fucked. He split that in half and bent his plate all to hell.

Even though I couldn't really tell if there was any damage, I called the police to make a report. Turns out, while I was waiting I noticed my CEL was on. After everything was done, my car took a long time to turnover and stalled shortly after that, but I did manage to get it home. What do you guys think could cause that? Do you think the impact damaged the fuel system in any way? Is there anything right behind the bumper that could have been damaged?

I'm going to make an appt with my dealership in the morning to have them look at everything and I'll get the final word from my insurance. I'm surprised about the bumper though, not even a scratch.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Sylon, you are extremely lucky! The only thing I can think of is the evap system that's attached to the battery holder on the underside of your car. I have heard some horror stories on that needing replacement.

Glad no one was hurt. I have learned that these cars are rather interestingly built. When I was rear-ended I thought the bumper took all the force of the impact. When I took it to BMW collision for inspection, they found that there was a bit of damage to the quarter panel too. (This was cause the driver hit me from the corner and not straight on from the rear.) I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel evap system has been affected by the incident.

Hope it all works out!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Glad everything wasn't as bad as it could have been and that you are safe! It could be the evap system as well. Have you checked the battery area?

This reminds me of a similar situation where I slowed because person ahead was making a right (I had my first car back then, a 2002 Accord) and a lady in a similar caliper car to a Cavalier comes SLAMMING into my rear end. Snapped my neck back good. I had the same expectations, rear end smashed to the frame. Walk out and there were only two little vertical lines on my bumper, the paint wasn't even chipped, from the ladies license plate. Her car was totalled--frame smashed in, radiator fluid dripping, hood flipped open, smoke everywhere.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The 1 series scored 5 stars in the euroNCAP tests.

I got whacked in The ass a few years ago. The car behind me hit the dead center of my rear bumper at somewhere between 20 and 30. I stopped at a light. He didnt.

Anyway same deal. Nothing obviously broken in the rear.

The damage ended up being the bumper. Exhaust. Carbon and evap canisters and the bottom of the trunk.

His car ended up being a total. His engine was on the floor and he couldnt open his doors. He had a then new Acura TL.

Two morals to this story.

1) these are built like brick shit houses.

2) low nosed cars can slide under the car and break the trunk. Check your battery connections (make sure they didnt move or the battery is compromised)

And as always your safety is the moat important thing. Good to hear it.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Buckeye driver's bro, you have to give yourself like 3 car lengths in front of you because you know the person behind you is distracted and tailing your ass. We just had this conversation with a guy from here and when the subject of drivers ed comes up he's like you guys had to take class for your drivers license?

It's hard to say what damages you suffered especially without pics and no codes, but I think you'll be alright. Best guess for me is maybe your O2 sensor got knocked loose. But take it to the dealer and let us know what codes they read.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Glad you're ok!

I think European cars are made to take it from behind.

Before my 1er I had a mark V golf GTI and managed to get rear ended twice in a 2 week period. First one was a Hyundai excel. Bumper bent in half and fell off, radiator smashed and the bonnet was V'd. It was crazy. The only damage I could see was some minor paint scratches and a 10cm hairline crack but other than that it was invisible from about a metre away. I was booked to get my bumper replaced about 2 weeks later and 2 days before then I was rear ended by an E46. This time the damage to his car wasn't as severe but his bumper was still pretty messed up. I checked my car and literally couldn't see any additional damage. No scratch, dent, crack nada. Didn't even bother reporting it to my insurance lol.
      01-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Could be that he hit your exhaust and hit went through the exhaust to downpipes this could cause your LIGHT on dash...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Elwood74
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
1 month old car, small deer hit me on the side door. Dented and a few scuffs on the bottom. Next morning cold/heat expansion the panel popped back. No visible damage except for a couple very small nicks in the lower rail. After a good wash, nothing. BMW is, apparently, now building Saturns/Tonka toys.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

A few months ago I got slammed from behind at a stop light on a rainy day. The first thought in my head was the hassle it would be to get a new carbon fiber spoiler and performance exhaust. Disturbed's "Hell" was playing on the radio.

My back was sore the rest of the day. Amazingly, NOT A SCRATCH or dent could be found on my bumper or even the spoiler or performance exhaust (which protrudes out further than stock). Her front bumper, meanwhile, was seriously dented.

I got her info. She blamed the wet roads and didn't apologize but I was too relieved to give her a lecture about driving like a doomass. I had my car checked out at the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it or tell it had even been involved in a minor collision.

Point of the story: If you have to get into an accident, it's best to take it from behind.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Well I just had an unfortunate evening.
Sy, glad you're OK. Sounds like minimal damage to the 1er, at least.
So what was the DB that slammed you doing...texting?
That alone would deserve a beatdown.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Unfortunate start of the New Year, but I'm glad no one was hurt, I hope everythings works out for you
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

It could be that teh fuel system has a breach. These systems now days are sealed (somewhat) and if vented while running can cause a CEL. That is normal for a lot of vehicles. Sometimes if you dotn tighten the filler cap after adding fuel it can come on too. So I would be hesitant in driving it, especially if you smell fuel. There could be other things that could cause it too.

Also i would bet if it was that good of a smack the the paint on the bumper is spidered. These bumpers are tough but the paint is still very fragile. Look on top of the bumper right near the rear deck. My vehicle has some spidering there too from a rear impact. Not strctural damage but the paint on the bumper is cracked. If it didnt then you got away very lucky. Certainly you need to have someone structurally take a look that the vehicle. I would hate to see you get into another accident and due to something not being repaiered cause you injury.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I got whacked in The ass a few years ago.

Reading the forums while at work.... this was the first thing another one of the PSO's noticed. He said, "what the hell are you reading?"

Anyways, sorry to hear about the wreck, but it gives me a nice warm and fuzzy about the cars safety
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
Reading the forums while at work.... this was the first thing another one of the PSO's noticed. He said, "what the hell are you reading?"

Anyways, sorry to hear about the wreck, but it gives me a nice warm and fuzzy about the cars safety
LOl......
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sorry to hear about your accident buddy. Yes, these cars are built very strong!! At least your safe and unhurt.

This video was at a display at the Deutsches Verkehrsmuseum in Munich...

more crash pics here...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401081

and more of the Museum here...
Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402730
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
2) Check your battery connections (make sure they didnt move or the battery is compromised)
That's what I was just thinking, maybe the connection is loose. Easy to get into and check before going further into the investigation
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
howtobeastitup96
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Love the 1 in the pic
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm upset but glad that it wasn't worse. I think I figured out the CEL. The impact knocked my aFe CAI and my engine cover loose. Both of those rattling around are probably the cause of the stalls and the CEL. Going to stick the stock airbox on there tonight to make the car safer. I've been having issues with the CAI since the day I got it, the rubber cuppler hasn't had a good seal. This accident just made it worse.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

The brembos are amazing. I was doing 80mph on the highway late the other night when a deer walked out in front of me. It literally was casually walking across the road ignoring my headlights. I hit the brakes as hard as I can and went from 80 to 0 barely tapping the deer in the leg, and he ran off. Didnt even get a scratch. Scared the crap out of me though. If I was in my truck I would have plowed right into it.

Of course having amazing brakes is not a good thing if you get rear ended from stopping too fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Gah, I also had to stop a bit quick earlier this week and had a stupid kid on a moped go into the back of me. My car suffered no damage either, though this was at low speed and he just hit my bumper with his tyre. I wasn't amused though...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Well, I thought the stalling was caused by my intake getting knocked loose. However, even after swapping out that intake for the stock one, my car is still stalling randomly. Something is definitely wrong.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
americanbairn
Rep
Drives: 1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Glad you're ok!

I think European cars are made to take it from behind.

Before my 1er I had a mark V golf GTI and managed to get rear ended twice in a 2 week period. First one was a Hyundai excel. Bumper bent in half and fell off, radiator smashed and the bonnet was V'd. It was crazy. The only damage I could see was some minor paint scratches and a 10cm hairline crack but other than that it was invisible from about a metre away. I was booked to get my bumper replaced about 2 weeks later and 2 days before then I was rear ended by an E46. This time the damage to his car wasn't as severe but his bumper was still pretty messed up. I checked my car and literally couldn't see any additional damage. No scratch, dent, crack nada. Didn't even bother reporting it to my insurance lol.
Only if they're made in Greece...
Appreciate 0