BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #45
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Stretched tires are the new age ricer mod. Not only is it unsafe, your rims have no protection, and handling goes down the tubes. I honestly don't know how this became a fad.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #46
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
Tires, if aired to the correct psi, will be just as safe stretched or not in average driving conditions. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to unseat the bead on a properly stretched tire at correct air pressure? Try it.

Avoid potholes and curbs and it's not an issue - the only issue would be using a backyard tire shop.

You seem like one of those people that like to talk just to hear their own voice.
So what you're saying is as long as you avoid the danger you're fine. What happens when you don't see a pot hole, or something falls off the back of a truck and you have to swerve aggressively to avoid it, or someone pulls out into an intersection when you're going 50 mph through it and your before you can even think you violently throw the wheel to get around it, but instead of being able to correct it, you're tires lose grip and you skid into a light pole, oncoming traffic, curb, etc. Its insane to think you can just avoid all danger and be okay. Not only are you putting yourself and risk, but others too. Yes I'm taking this to extremes, but these are things people don't think about when making modifications like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Stretched tires are the new age ricer mod. Not only is it unsafe, your rims have no protection, and handling goes down the tubes. I honestly don't know how this became a fad.
I'm glad someone shares my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #47
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiefferD View Post
Then you both are idiots, not every car is made for handleing....Dude everytime u post, u come on flaming other peoples car. He has the same unorginal vmr's that you have on your aw 1'er. And because he has coilovers, he can give himself the same 'suv' ride that you seem to love.... If you don't like his ride move on.
You are right I am sure BMW, the Ultimate Diving Machine, was not meant to actually drive or handle well. They are poorly designed cars with improper engine placement. I am also sure that tire manufacturers provide rim width tolerances for their tires for the fun of it and there is absolutely no engineering behind it. I am also willing to bet that if you called a tire company and asked them if it is safe to stretch their tires beyond their recommendations they would say sure and they would probably be willing to stand behind the tire warranty.

I guess you are right, I am an idiot along with BMW and every tire company out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #48
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict View Post
looks great man!!! The roll cage really set it off!
What i have pleanned for my car is really gonna get the purists panties in a bunch lol
It is not a cage. It is a bolt in roll bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #49
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' CQM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRNTHVY
Quote:
Then you both are idiots, not every car is made for handleing....Dude everytime u post, u come on flaming other peoples car. He has the same unorginal vmr's that you have on your aw 1'er. And because he has coilovers, he can give himself the same 'suv' ride that you seem to love.... If you don't like his ride move on.
You are right I am sure BMW, the Ultimate Diving Machine, was not meant to actually drive or handle well. They are poorly designed cars with improper engine placement. I am also sure that tire manufacturers provide rim width tolerances for their tires for the fun of it and there is absolutely no engineering behind it. I am also willing to bet that if you called a tire company and asked them if it is safe to stretch their tires beyond their recommendations they would say sure and they would probably be willing to stand behind the tire warranty.

I guess you are right, I am an idiot along with BMW and every tire company out there.
Look man simple as this i built this car with no fuck given it scrapes its on 5k wheels with stretched tires and you know what i dont care simple as that lol if i hit a curb because my tires have no protection then i should probly sell my car because only girls hit curbs and yes you have to be careful of pothole but arent you supposed to be careful of those anyway lmao? What im saying is if your going to keep being a bmw purist and not respecting a little individuality then you can kindly fuck off and troll some other post
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #50
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
Tires, if aired to the correct psi, will be just as safe stretched or not in average driving conditions. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to unseat the bead on a properly stretched tire at correct air pressure? Try it.

Avoid potholes and curbs and it's not an issue - the only issue would be using a backyard tire shop.

You seem like one of those people that like to talk just to hear their own voice.
So what you're saying is as long as you avoid the danger you're fine. What happens when you don't see a pot hole, or something falls off the back of a truck and you have to swerve aggressively to avoid it, or someone pulls out into an intersection when you're going 50 mph through it and your before you can even think you violently throw the wheel to get around it, but instead of being able to correct it, you're tires lose grip and you skid into a light pole, oncoming traffic, curb, etc. Its insane to think you can just avoid all danger and be okay. Not only are you putting yourself and risk, but others too. Yes I'm taking this to extremes, but these are things people don't think about when making modifications like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Someone said it better and I don't feel like typing an essay. From another forum:
"If you are further interested in this topic I suggest you pick up some basic literature on vehicle dynamics or google cornering stiffness.

The sidewall flex that everyone else is talking about is parameterized by cornering stiffness in the tire world. What it describes is the rate at which the tire will produce lateral force. Physically this can be seen as the initial linear slope of slip angle vs. lateral force for a given tire. Many factors affect cornering stiffness and the "stretch" or angle of the sidewall is an important factor. In testing the cornering stiffness will continue to increase until the angle of the sidewall approaches that of the tread section.

Construction of the tire itself will contribute to the cornering stiffness and things like tread compound actually play a much more important roll than the sidewall stiffness. It's easy to understand as sidewall flex but this is just one part of the interaction. For instance the relaxation time of each material included in the tire will have an effect. The stiffness of the summit in bending and in shear will have a large effect. Even the size of the bead mounted to the rim will have an effect.

As everyone has stated before some "stretch" may be good. In fact ALMS teams use it as a balance and tuning parameter. Take a look at the Pratt & Miller C6R's they usually run a wheel larger than the measuring wheel up front.

At the control end for the driver it's down to the required response of the vehicle. A vehicle with higher cornering stiffness will respond faster to input but will also drop off quicker at the limit (unless this is countered by material choices). Actually changes in mechanical grip are negligible unless extreme differences in cornering stiffness are had.

In the case of every street tire it will most likely be perceived that handling has been improved with higher cornering stiffness (especially by gear-heads). Until you run the risk of unseating the tire or scrubing your wheels handling will improve with stretch (as others have stated before comfort will not).

As with anything you can have too much of a good thing..."
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post

Dude what are you talking about? That's just to many 'what if's'. What if a camel bit your 'key board' fingers? If you're that worried about safety, go buy a volvo, and put a cage in it. Anywho, if a tire exploding is your concern, why didn't you keep your run flats? Tires are built with a tolerance. If you purchase and have it installed at a reputable dealer, they will refuse to install the tire because it puts them at risk....He opted for an agressive offset so that he could have a lip. You opted for a copy cat aw 1'er because you were inspired by the pictures in the owners manuel....You don't like the cage; good now you know not to buy one. Now run along.......
      01-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #52
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Dude what are you talking about? That's just to many 'what if's'. What if a camel bit your 'key board' fingers? If you're that worried about safety, go buy a volvo, and put a cage in it. Anywho, if a tire exploding is your concern, why didn't you keep your run flats? Tires are built with a tolerance. If you purchase and have it installed at a reputable dealer, they will refuse to install the tire because it puts them at risk....He opted for an agressive offset so that he could have a lip. You opted for a copy cat aw 1'er because you were inspired by the pictures in the owners manuel....You don't like the cage; good now you know not to buy one. Now run along.......
Actually if you would have read any of this, you would notice that I never once mentioned tires exploding nor was that ever a concern. I also really do like the cage, and i think its a great addition to the car for someone who tracks it. Never once did I say I didn't. If I tracked my car I'd definitely buy one, its very affordable and well made. Thanks for reading anything before judging me.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #53
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Someone said it better and I don't feel like typing an essay. From another forum:
I don't believe you fully understand what you just copied and pasted, and please don't pretend like you could have wrote the same thing.

Sidewall flex is very important as I said before, but this author failed to mention the importance of the inner sidewall flex and while he just implied it. The inner sidewall must flex in the towards the outside of the wheel and a tire stretched heavily doesn't allow for this. When race cars "stretch" their tires, we're talking about a 5mm undersized tire, not a 30 mm undersized one like tuner's define stretched.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #54
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Lets keep OP's thread back on track. This is not the place for this argument. Like stretch or not, OP is sharing photos and contributing to the forums.

Please make a separate discussion where everyone can battle it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #55
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
I don't believe you fully understand what you just copied and pasted, and please don't pretend like you could have wrote the same thing.

Sidewall flex is very important as I said before, but this author failed to mention the importance of the inner sidewall flex and while he just implied it. The inner sidewall must flex in the towards the outside of the wheel and a tire stretched heavily doesn't allow for this. When race cars "stretch" their tires, we're talking about a 5mm undersized tire, not a 30 mm undersized one like tuner's define stretched.
LOL. Now we're arguing semantics. I never said running a 30mm less than flush tire would be safe, I said in most instances tire stretch is not an issue. You're starting to argue your point with absolute extremes and frankly its getting mundane.

As for your comment on my ability to understand or write the above quote is irrelevant - what's relevant is that you still need to take that dildo out of your ass, its distracting your attention from the fact that there is no safety issue here and no one gives 1 fuck what you think. Start a blog if you feel like preaching.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #56
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
Lets keep OP's thread back on track. This is not the place for this argument. Like stretch or not, OP is sharing photos and contributing to the forums.

It starts with tools like stohlen that jump into every thread with nothing positive to say. Not sure if he's a troll or just has mommy issues, but it gets annoying after you read the top 3 threads and see his negative contribution in each one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #57
addict
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

Your car looks good man!! It was one of the ones that gave me hope when I got my 135 that I wasnt the only one that was into the "horrible fitment,stance,tire stretching, form>function" fads. It dosent matter what these "purists" say I see nothing wrong with a car with a little character the risks are minimal. With that being said he's not alone here is a little more tire stretch...mild stretch compared to what I have on my 19" setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #58
WOLF-PACK
Zero to Hero
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 Gallardo, 16 x5m, 17 330e

Your rig is minty fresh! Great job and I got ur back us minorities gotta stick together
      01-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #59
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post

+1 , there is a Wheel/Tire Section here.... Even the Discussion is interessting.
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #60
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Frankly to each their own. They are two different styles, and OP isn't a guy who just drives his car slow everywhere like a grandma, he has a track set up as well, so I think he agrees that yes in the most extreme a stretched tire could potentially be less safe than a normal sidewall, but like he said its a risk he's willing to take.

Besides if someone wants to put on large wheels with a lip and stretch and wants to drive slow everywhere let them it's their car! You can just pass them on the twisties

Again OP, I still like your car a LOT! Both in form mode and function mode.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #61
FRNTHVY
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anttmann View Post
Look man simple as this i built this car with no fuck given it scrapes its on 5k wheels with stretched tires and you know what i dont care simple as that lol if i hit a curb because my tires have no protection then i should probly sell my car because only girls hit curbs and yes you have to be careful of pothole but arent you supposed to be careful of those anyway lmao? What im saying is if your going to keep being a bmw purist and not respecting a little individuality then you can kindly fuck off and troll some other post
Yup stretched tires on CCW's is something that has not been done 10000000 times before. Maybe you should have gotten a Jetta instead so you can put a $5k set of useless wheels and tires on an otherwise useless car that was made to get from point a to b. My point is I hope the 1 series does not turn out to be the next GTI being "stanced" because I do not want to be associated with that scene.

Trust me I am no purist. My track car is a fully caged, widened E30 M3 with an LS7 power plant.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #62
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' CQM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
Frankly to each their own. They are two different styles, and OP isn't a guy who just drives his car slow everywhere like a grandma, he has a track set up as well, so I think he agrees that yes in the most extreme a stretched tire could potentially be less safe than a normal sidewall, but like he said its a risk he's willing to take.

Besides if someone wants to put on large wheels with a lip and stretch and wants to drive slow everywhere let them it's their car! You can just pass them on the twisties

Again OP, I still like your car a LOT! Both in form mode and function mode.
thanks dude ! , exactly when its time to get functional i have fresh meat waiting for the car and trust me i dont like driving slow but my form setup deff helps with the tickets , but from me just going back and fourth to work and driving around town there is absolutley nothing wrong with a little stretch and to the people thinking my tires are super stretched lol the stretch im running isnt anything to compared what most people run .
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #63
Got_///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Sick man! Stance looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #64
jsivadas
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Looks Awesome! Loving the roll bar!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #65
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Anyone that believes it improves handling is delusional. You are just introducing uneven tread wear and reduced traction.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #66
SGM <3
Internet Famous
Rep
Drives: '09 SGM 135i

Antoine man it's looking great as ever!

I have to say; after seeing you complain about putting in that rollbar I don't think I could ever bring myself around to buying one. But I love the white rollbar on red interior, looks amazing.

Your car and John's car are currently my inspiration, keep up the good shit man.
Appreciate 0