BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Flyer4500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Tire and wheel in insurance

Now that new jersey is thawing out from the winter, giant pot holes are starting to show up. Last Saturday night I hit one that took out both tires and wheels on the drivers side. I am writing this because last fall with purchase of my 135 I also bought the tire and wheel insurance. With my first incident costing $1,800.00 the insurance has almost payed for itself and I have 4 1/2 years to go. With the history of the bad road surfaces in the northern states has anyone had issues with coverage from the insurance company. I could see this coverage as a real losing situation for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Tire and wheel insurance is a big money maker,your looking at it to localized.. remember all those contracts sold in states with less pot holes pay for the ones in states with more pot holes.

check your policy and see if there is a maximum contract pay out. i.e. $5,000.00 or something like that... we have had quiet a few people max out their policies... dont get me wrong, the customers got there moneies worth, but from then on they were on there own..... and amazingly we noticed that they didnt hit so many potholes after that....

for all those m3 m5 m6 etc cars, its a no brainer... some of those tires are 500.00 +++ and thats without the wheel.. 1 good hole and it paid foritself.

Be thankful you have it... its a wonderful thing.. ( for us in NE )
      03-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
spud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

^^ what he said for max payout..

Also, I learned the hard way that they will NOT replace a bent Rim unless the tire is blown also.

I hit a huge pothole to bend the crap outta my rim, but the tire held..it had a slight bubble.

They denied my claim to replace the RIM due to the tire still being "ok"

Alex
2009 135i LMB M package
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
^^ what he said for max payout..

Also, I learned the hard way that they will NOT replace a bent Rim unless the tire is blown also.

I hit a huge pothole to bend the crap outta my rim, but the tire held..it had a slight bubble.

They denied my claim to replace the RIM due to the tire still being "ok"
^^^^ very true... the statement when asked.. Does the rim / tire hold air..... the answer is NO... fyi they do send adjusters out every so often BTW.
      03-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Flyer4500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Thanks for the heads up on the payout limit. Went through paperwork and that section is missing. At the time of purchase I do not remember any discussion of a ceiling on payments, just the time limit. I will have to go back to dealer. Needless to say I now watch the road surface ahead as much as the traffic.
Appreciate 0