BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Exclamation 135i not shifting right. HELP

Hey guys I have a 2008 135i Auto, that I purchased about 6-7 months. Today I put it sport mode while driving in a mall parking lot going uphill and downhill in 1st gear. When I got out of the parking lot I realized my car was driving right. As I was in 1st gear and at 3,000 rpm the car was throwing itself in D (drive). I tried shifting earlier then 3,000 rpm and it was taking some time to change gears. Then I tried turning off the car waiting an hour and trying it again, and I had the same issue. I was hoping it wasn't the transmission but I'm told it is. Is it? I'm hoping not cause I'm out of warranty and currently have 51k mikes.

Was wondering,
1. Is it the transmission that's the problem?
2. Is there any sort of recall?
3. Has anyone had this problem?
4. Is there anyway I can complain about this and get a new car? I've only had it for 6-7 months!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

So the dash indicator switched to D while the gear selector was still pulled to the left in DS mode? Or did you down shift with the paddles without moving the gear selector to the left?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes the dash indicator switched to D while the gear selector was pulled to the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
So the dash indicator switched to D while the gear selector was still pulled to the left in DS mode? Or did you down shift with the paddles without moving the gear selector to the left?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Strange. I haven't seen anything posted on this issue before.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Sorry to hear that...just curious, how does it drive in Standard Auto ?

I would contact the seller if it is the trans but only after you obtain a firm diagnosis. I doubt you will get a replacement car. You might need to check the provisions of your state's Lemon Law and the Attorney General's office. Usually the Lemon Law will only apply to a used car if the seller applies a warranty extension or if the factory warranty is still in place.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

4. Is there anyway I can complain about this and get a new car? I've only had it for 6-7 months!

Are you serious? You have had it 6 or 7 months only, it's an 2008, thus you bought it used, and you wonder if you can complain and get a new car?

06-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
This is the risk you take when you buy a German car out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
This is the risk you take when you buy a German car out of warranty.
Any car out of warranty.
      06-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44

Are you serious? You have had it 6 or 7 months only, it's an 2008, thus you bought it used, and you wonder if you can complain and get a new car?

Not a new car meaning a 2012. Meaning another 2008 135i. When I bought it, it still had 5,000 miles left on the warranty and was driving amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aren View Post
Not a new car meaning a 2012. Meaning another 2008 135i. When I bought it, it still had 5,000 miles left on the warranty and was driving amazing.
But it's not under warranty anymore.

Sucks if your tranny is indeed crapping the bed, but what sort of recourse are you expecting without a warranty?

Anyway, I'm confused by your story. You were going up and downhill in a mall parking lot in 1st gear? Were you beating on it?
      06-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
But it's not under warranty anymore.

Sucks if your tranny is indeed crapping the bed, but what sort of recourse are you expecting without a warranty?

Anyway, I'm confused by your story. You were going up and downhill in a mall parking lot in 1st gear? Were you beating on it?
When I was going to the mall the parking lot is like circles you go up. I put it in first and was going up. It probably reached 4,000 rpm at most. Didn't pay attention a lot but I'm pretty sure it wasn't more then 4,000. When I was leaving I did the same thing going down and then I felt it wasn't right cause it threw it in drive.

Last edited by aren; 06-24-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I was going to the mall the parking lot is like circles you go up. I put it in first and was going up. It probably reached 4,000 rpm at most. Didn't pay attention a lot but I know I'm pretty sure it wasn't more then 4,000. When I was leaving I did the same thing going down and then I felt it wasn't right cause it threw it in drive.
Well, that alone shouldn't break your transmission but driving up and down a parking garage at 4000 rpm would be really, really annoying.
      06-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
bump
As others have said, when you by used you by "as is" if you bought it from a private party.
The previous owner may not have known either especially since your car was driving just fine for the last 6000 miles.

If you bought a CPO used, then it's a different story.

For now, take it in to a BMW dealer and pay to have it diagnosed.
Then when you know what is wrong, you can TRY and call BMWNA customer service and politely explain that you are only 1K miles out of warranty and ask if there is something BMW can do to help you out.
You likely won't get much sympathy since you are the subsequent used buyer.
If you were the original owner BMW may make more effort to help.
The other thing in your favor is that BMW trannies are not likely at all to fail at such low mileage.
Still, it doesn't hurt to try.

The reason I say to take it to a BMW center is because you can explain that your car has been diagnosed by a BMW dealer, that may have some merit.
Plus, maybe the dealer service manager can go to bat for you with BMW and perhaps get the repair or replace at a lower cost.
Also, the dealer can look into the cars service record, maybe your car has had some trans issue before. If so, that may help you get some assistance from BMW. If there is some record of a past trans issue, then there may have been some indication of an earlier trans problem, and BMW may favor helping you out.
Good luck.

BTW, this isn't what you get when you buy a used German automobile.
As another poster stated, this is the potential when you buy ANY used automobile that close to going out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
bump
As others have said, when you by used you by "as is" if you bought it from a private party.
The previous owner may not have known either especially since your car was driving just fine for the last 6000 miles.

Then when you know what is wrong, you can TRY and call BMWNA customer service and politely explain that you are only 1K miles out of warranty and ask if there is something BMW can do to help you out.
The other thing in your favor is that BMW trannies are not likely at all to fail at such low mileage.

The reason I say to take it to a BMW center is because you can explain that your car has been diagnosed by a BMW dealer, that may have some merit.
Plus, maybe the dealer service manager can go to bat for you with BMW and perhaps get the repair or replace at a lower cost.
Also, the dealer can look into the cars service record, maybe your car has had some trans issue before. If so, that may help you get some assistance from BMW. If there is some record of a past trans issue, then there may have been some indication of an earlier trans problem, and BMW may favor helping you out.
Good luck.

As another poster stated, this is the potential when you buy ANY used automobile that close to going out of warranty.
I bought it from the BMW dealer and it was a certified pre owned car.

Probably will do what you said.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Isn't the warranty on CPO cars good until 100K miles?
      06-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
bump

Good luck.

Car is certified pre-owned.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Yeah dude, the transmission (and many other components) is covered for an additional 2 years up to 100K after the factory warranty ends...what'd you think CPO meant?

Take it in.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
If you would have said that in the first post, you would have saved the rest of us a lot of guessing and incorrect advice.

Why can't posters tell their story including all the facts that are relevant?
      06-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

THANK LORD

THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
If you would have said that in the first post, you would have saved the rest of us a lot of guessing and incorrect advice.

Why can't posters tell their story including all the facts that are relevant?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
aren
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A
Quote:
Yeah dude, the transmission (and many other components) is covered for an additional 2 years up to 100K after the factory warranty ends...what'd you think CPO meant?

Take it in.
If I have an aftermarket intake, catless downpipes, and exhaust, should I change everything to stock then take it in or what?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
If I have an aftermarket intake, catless downpipes, and exhaust, should I change everything to stock then take it in or what?
I don't have any experience with mods and BMW dealers' responses to them so I can't give you first hand advice. My previous experience with dealers (in general) is intake/exhaust should be OK, but it obviously wouldn't hurt to bring it back to stock.

Last edited by LinkA8A0A; 06-26-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0