11-03-2010, 07:18 AM   #23
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Not every reflash is just throwing boost at a car. I have an issue with that. But the reflashes (Dinan giac) also go deeper and change timing mixture advance etc. This is much better and it shows when they make the same amount of power as a boost chip with half the boost necessary
+ 1

There is a lot more involved than just upping the boost for some quick gains. Even the jb3 and procede platforms have proved more than reliable thus far.

Further, BMW themselves have upped the power on the N54 which speaks for itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
Hey guys,

im just very curious if a 1m chipped would get same power as a 135i chipped ??

will the 1M Chipped get more HP & TQ then the 135i Chipped????
It would easier to answer if we knew the engine internal specs.
The 1M engine has a forged crank, but will it have different material pistons, forged pistons, connecting rods, beefed up bearings, etc...

If some of those main items are beefed up then increasing boost even more should hold up well.
Plus, if the IC is larger and more efficient, then it will deal with the added boost heat easier.

In the days of the Mits Eclipse 4g63 turbo engine (also used in the EVO 1-9), it was "over built" for the stock boost. Even with much greater boost, and/or larger turbo's, those engines held up very well over the long haul. Mits built the early engines very robustly.
There were issues with later models. I had the 1st gen, and I ran a 16G turbo with only about 4-5psi greater boost pressure, and I had it for over 130K miles and it was still running strong when I sold it.
The MT with the paper synchros was a whole other issue, rebuild at 90K miles.

Back to the 1M engine, if the turbo's really are bigger, then the 1M engine will be capable of producing greater overall power compared to the standard N54, as the larger turbo's will be able to flow at higher boost pressures, as you'll be able to turn the boost up even higher.
The small TD03 turbo's in the N54 can only flow so much until they can't give anymore as they reach their boost/flow limit. A larger turbo, perhaps the TD04, will easily outflow the smaller ones.

Along with greater boost capability, the larger turbo's will not spool as quickly due to the greater mass of the compressor wheel, unless M clips the turbines to help that out.
But, the cool thing with the larger turbo's is that M could tune the power curve so that power flows along a greater rev band giving the engine actual top end power.

But, given the accel numbers given from all these tests, even a modest JB+ could achieve those numbers, except for the limited time over boost function. We just don't know the details yet.
From a tuning standpoint though, larger turbo's will allow the engine to produce more power with greater efficiency than the N54 with the smaller turbo's.

Last edited by RPM90; 11-03-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
sleeper001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Past, 2017 X5M-sport

It should, i can't image a chipped M-car having less power than a chipped non M-car in the same series. If this was the case then it really wouldnt make any sense just to pay extra for an M-car, when you could just use the cash difference and get a really good tune done.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

It's reeeeediculous reading some of these posts. If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times. HP/TQ numbers are not the end all/be all for a car. Sure you can add a tune to a car and increase the HP/TQ. Does that make it a better car? Well, that depends on your definition of "better." It won't improve the handling. It won't improve the drivability and the fun factor.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A lot of people are down on this car for one reason or another (not enough power, not a bespoke engine, re-used M3 parts, etc.). But the biggest reason I want this car is that everyone who's driven this car so far says it is fun and handles like a dream. Enough said. I couldn't care less about the details. It looks phenomenal and is a blast to drive. Done.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M LEGEND View Post
HAHA - Love your answer!
funny as hell

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #28
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
It's reeeeediculous reading some of these posts. If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times. HP/TQ numbers are not the end all/be all for a car. Sure you can add a tune to a car and increase the HP/TQ. Does that make it a better car? Well, that depends on your definition of "better." It won't improve the handling. It won't improve the drivability and the fun factor.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A lot of people are down on this car for one reason or another (not enough power, not a bespoke engine, re-used M3 parts, etc.). But the biggest reason I want this car is that everyone who's driven this car so far says it is fun and handles like a dream. Enough said. I couldn't care less about the details. It looks phenomenal and is a blast to drive. Done.
So completely true! +100
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #29
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird58 View Post
I drive 110-miles to work & back every day and I get 30 mph in 6th gear cruising.

I love this car.
3h40m commute in a 1er w/ a ~1k rpm rev limiter FTL! :P
Appreciate 0