BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Garage Valet Chipped My Paint - Options

My office building outsources a valet company because the parking garage doesn't have enough space for the employees. Not a big deal since they probably handle a fifth of the cars in our building. However, upon picking up my car last night and returning home I noticed a nice chip in my rear bumper. I even had a clear bra on the back bumper but the attendant backed up hard enough into the concrete wall where the film ripped and took the paint with it.

I come in this morning, spoke with the manager and filed a claim. Not sure if these a$$clowns will even pay out but assuming they do, not sure how I want to go about this.
  1. Respraying bumper seems ridiculous for a chip and the car is only 4 months. Plus I'd have to remove surrounding film.
  2. Drop off at my dealer who has their PDR & paint touch-up guy come in, hopefully he can just fix that 1 spot without having to lift the entire film.
  3. Keep the cash, use for mod money

I'm extremely an@l when it comes to my car. Option 3 seems most practical but seeing that chip everyday would piss me off. What would you do?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-29-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Depending on the chip size, IMO get money for a whole respray...and strip the film yourself, Dr. Colorchip, reapply the film and pocket the rest of the money
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Depending on the chip size, IMO get money for a whole respray...and strip the film yourself, Dr. Colorchip, reapply the film and pocket the rest of the money
The chip size isn't bad, but it's pretty deep. But that's not a bad idea, it's just going to be hard convincing the parking company / insurance a respray would be needed.
      01-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
The chip size isn't bad, but it's pretty deep. But that's not a bad idea, it's just going to be hard convincing the parking company / insurance a respray would be needed.
Might sound crazy, but can you take a needle with a syringe and inject paint through the clearcoat (or through the ripped opening) to fill the chip and just leave existing bra there?

I would still pursue money, it is their fault and they need to pay regardless of whatever route you decide to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

IMO, you're going to need to get the clear bra replaced and reapplied if you're going to get that paint properly fixed, whether it's through a touch-up or a blend (or a complete bumper respray).

any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Might sound crazy, but can you take a needle with a syringe and inject paint through the clearcoat (or through the ripped opening) to fill the chip and just leave existing bra there?

I would still pursue money, it is their fault and they need to pay regardless of whatever route you decide to go.
I'll definitely get my money's worth... I'm just peeved that no small repair will look right, and respraying the entire bumper will result in paint quality that is inferior to what's on there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
IMO, you're going to need to get the clear bra replaced and reapplied if you're going to get that paint properly fixed, whether it's through a touch-up or a blend (or a complete bumper respray).

any pictures?
I've accepted that much already. All that surrounding white stuff is salt.

The thing is I didn't even apply the clear bra on the back for incidents like this. It was more to cover the areas behind the wheels from anything kickbacked but it would look retarded to only cover those areas and leave the middle exposed. I even have one of those stupid bumper badgers I use when I street park in NYC, didn't think I"d need to use it even for the office valet, who mind you all they do is move cars around when someone is being blocked in. At the end of the day, they start relocating valet'd cars back to open spots. This genius thought it'd be great to reverse the car in.

01-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Eh, that looks like a pretty deep dent to me, you're going to be best off getting it filled and sprayed if you want it to look OEM. They may be able to heat the inside and push it out a bit, but I'm not too sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
You don't have to mention the name if you don't feel comfortable disclosing it, but do you have auto insurance through a "big name"/reputable company? If so, and you don't mind putting up the cost of your collision deductible initially, file a claim with your provider, and they would go into subrogation with the valet company's Insurance provider to recoup your deductible amount and cover the extent of the repairs.

This is provided the extent of the repairs are greater than the cost of your deductible....

I work in Auto Insurance, and judging by the pictures, a proper repair would facilitate bumping, sanding, and refinishing the panel. I doubt any reputable repair facility would agree to spot blend the refinish.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'll definitely get my money's worth... I'm just peeved that no small repair will look right, and respraying the entire bumper will result in paint quality that is inferior to what's on there now.
I know what you're talking about.

When I bought my Z4M, I got a nice dent in the roof from the shipper that dropped a chain or something on it. The paint isn't perfect, however it is good enough to where I only know where the flaws are at.

On my 128i though, I had a paint issue on my front bumper (the paint was actually peeling off the air dam part). I had BMW actually do warranty claim on it, and they ended up replacing the whole bumper and repainting it...3rd party of course. It looks absolutely fantastic, and you would never know that a repaint happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
You don't have to mention the name if you don't feel comfortable disclosing it, but do you have auto insurance through a "big name"/reputable company? If so, and you don't mind putting up the cost of your collision deductible initially, file a claim with your provider, and they would go into subrogation with the valet company's Insurance provider to recoup your deductible amount and cover the extent of the repairs.

This is provided the extent of the repairs are greater than the cost of your deductible....

I work in Auto Insurance, and judging by the pictures, a proper repair would facilitate bumping, sanding, and refinishing the panel. I doubt any reputable repair facility would agree to spot blend the refinish.
Unfortunately my collision deductible is $1000 (that was what I had on my previous car I forgot to update it, ugh.). But even if cost of repair < deductible, would it really matter if I'm having my company go after the valet's insurance company?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-29-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Xaoc
Private
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135is

Your insurance would reimburse the cost during the subrogation process. In the end you wont be out anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Unfortunately my collision deductible is $1000 (that was what I had on my previous car I forgot to update it, ugh.). But even if cost of repair < deductible, would it really matter if I'm having my company go after the valet's insurance company?
Technically, you are correct. Once subrogation rights have been established, you have relinqueshed all the work to your Insurance company.
However, for smaller incidents like these when people have a high deductible like yours, we usually recommend going through the other party's carrier, just in case the subro doesn't get anywhere, and the OTD repair costs are less than deductible. "Xoac" is correct that subro would recoup your up front deductible cost. In terms of total time spent dealing with this inconvenience, all Insurance companies will work harder to keep their insured happy, versus being a claimant going through someone else's Insurance, so your turn around time may be quicker using subro.

Also, a lot of Insurers have "preferred" repair facilities, with lifetime quality guarantees on their repairs. So going through your carrier may give you that option, should you choose it, for extra assurance.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Technically, you are correct. Once subrogation rights have been established, you have relinqueshed all the work to your Insurance company.
However, for smaller incidents like these when people have a high deductible like yours, we usually recommend going through the other party's carrier, just in case the subro doesn't get anywhere, and the OTD repair costs are less than deductible. "Xoac" is correct that subro would recoup your up front deductible cost. In terms of total time spent dealing with this inconvenience, all Insurance companies will work harder to keep their insured happy, versus being a claimant going through someone else's Insurance, so your turn around time may be quicker using subro.

Also, a lot of Insurers have "preferred" repair facilities, with lifetime quality guarantees on their repairs. So going through your carrier may give you that option, should you choose it, for extra assurance.
Thanks, unfortunately their "preferred" facilities resemble junk yards. I know because they tried having me go there for a previous accident. I have a "go to" body shop I deal with, comes out looking like factory. Only problem is they charge arm & leg but if it's not my money, doesn't bother me.

I'll keep this thread updated, first thing's first is I need to get a quote for the repair.