BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Droptop986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E88 135i

Overheating Please help!!!

Hi new to this forum and new to BMWs. Just got a BMW 135i E88 2 weeks ago and all was great. While driving home from work a few days ago on the interstate AC was blowing cold and car was fine. Got off interstate and started driving in traffic and noticed AC would blow cold when I was moving but warm up when at light. AT one long light the temp gauge lit up and when the light turned green I was in limp mode. Since that day my AUX/ Radiator fan won't turn on. I checked my AC refrigerant level and that is good. I did the water pump check where you press the start button/ foot off the pedal/ fan on low temp on highest, opened the reservoir and the coolant was flowing. I can drive the car without AC for a while as long as Im moving but the fan doesn't come on with or without the AC on. I replaced the fan itself today. None of this helped fan still won't come on. I have a multimeter, Carly App and a cable if there's a way to diagnose. Are there fan switches or sensors or fuses that could be bad ? Any insight would be appreciated Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Lightbulb

I am just throwing this out here but I wonder if it could be thermostat? Also I would test everything without the AC running, make sure your cooling system is functioning 100% then see what's up with the AC.

Let me make sure I am understanding you, no fans are coming on period and then your car overheats correct? If that's the case my guess is it's the thermostat or a wire is loose or wet or a fuse is blown. If you replaced your fan and it's not coming on it's gotta be one or the other but I am not a pro mechanic I am just a dude trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Droptop986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E88 135i

Correct the AUX fan by the radiator is not turning on at all. The fan is brand new. going to go look at fuses now. Anybody know where the fan switches are located?
Appreciate 0