BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Calgary BMW: Scotchguard nightmare!

So once again my scotchguard needs to be re-applied. I have no idea what the detail guys are doing there, but it peels off after driving through a puddle in all sorts of areas. I've had them re-apply it once before, and now it already needs to be done again. How on earth is this supposed to last a few years?

Anyone else have this much trouble? I realize it's not true 3M, but I wonder if the craftsmanship is the real problem here.

I asked to just have it removed and refunded since it was essentially useless, and the best they could offer was about 60% of my money back... ?!?!?!?! Gotta vent here.. really annoyed!
      08-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

totally!!!! You should be pissed! Where did they apply it on the car? Are you talking about a ClearBra? Did you get it done at the dealership?

I am quite sure the problem is with the person putting it on.
Car must be clean, and prepped. It must sit for a day before taken out.

If you can not get this fixed then;
100% refund, a nice BMW rental while waiting, and have them take it off!
There should be zero damage and on top of this, I think they should give you a $50 gift cert for the trouble! (if this was done at the dealership)

BTW I have had trouble too. I wish I had never got it done at the dealership for this.

Also get the warranty card that should go with the product. Contact the manufacturer of the product. They care how their product is applied.

EspressoBoy

PS
Scotchguard to me means carpet protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

No troubles here, but it's only been a month. Mine was done by the dealer, but from BMW Gallery instead of Calgary BMW...

btw, Scotchguard is a 3M brand of products. Actually, now that I think of it, I believe what Gallery installs is Stoneshield which is not 3M, but by Avery Dennison... maybe the two dealers use different stuff?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

wow, yeah that sucks man. I had mine done when I first got my 1 back in April from Calgary BMW and I haven't had any problems.

Definitely sounds like you got the guy who hates his job applying the stuff though.
      08-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah it's Avery... and yeh it definitely seems like it. It's totally hacked up in areas (like not even joining where he's made cuts, leaving gaps).. I thought the 60% refund seemed like a kick to the nuts but even that is better than a clear bra that does nothing.
      08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had to get my driver side mirror and hood re-done at BMW Gallery. The hood was completely mis-aligned and the mirror was peeling. They re-did it, but my passenger side mirror is now starting to peel as well.

Apparantly BMW Gallery fired their clear bra installers because they were incompetent. Not sure who's installing them now for them.
      08-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Brasco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My SA told me that they used VentureShield at Calgary BMW. I also got mine installed there. Only issue i have with mine is that the line on the hood where the "3m" ends is not perfectly straight, its so crooked it looks terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

I am glad that you brought this up, I was wavering on getting this done at the dealership, and I think that I might not get anything put on instead.

60% refund... unfortunately that doesn't surprise me here in Calgary... Service is very spotty as you never know when you are going to get outstanding BMW service or the F*ck off service that comes from a city with too much money and more customers than they can handle.

I have to say that I am getting pretty annoyed with overall customer service here in Calgary, as it seems that business' can afford to lose customers here. Thereby being able to get away with sh!tty customer service.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

OK so they will give me 100% of the refund, or at least said they would. I'm going down there on Friday. I asked them to put it towards parts, which I thought was a reasonable compromise.. after all, I'd rather have something I can actually use.

There is NO way that knock-off 3M shield will last a winter here in Calgary. No chance at all. The geometry of the 1 makes it difficult, as well.. but that cheap stuff just doesn't hold up.

I talked to a few other people who had bad experiences with the dealer material as well; they ended up getting re-done at Shadowtint and similar places.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
      08-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

I've had 3M on a previous car, and just put it on my 128i, never had problems like this. The installer I used in Van used a computer cutter, which was able to change the length of the bonnet cover, and the curves are perfect.

I think they are worth having to protect the front of the car, but get it done right, with an installer with a good history.
      09-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
1Serious
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
My SA told me that they used VentureShield at Calgary BMW. I also got mine installed there. Only issue i have with mine is that the line on the hood where the "3m" ends is not perfectly straight, its so crooked it looks terrible.
As terrible as this?
http://picasaweb.google.com/Motoring2008/VentureShield#
More 135i at http://gallery.me.com/pguild8#100022
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
sixpack
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Who installed this? If the dealer, which one? I would be furious!

Appreciate 0