BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

The operation seems to be success!

Job done, tune installed. Can't do my timed pulls right now since I have to run to an appointment but in a nutshell - no problems, car starts and runs perfectly with no flags/codes/lights etc, and I will say even before checking against a stopwatch that this mod seems well worth it for 128 owners! Again, I've only gone for a short test ride, don't know what may happen to my mileage etc. Throttle response is waaay better, very crisp but not jumpy, and power delivery seems smoother and more even than when stock. Just way nicer and sportier to drive. Got to run now, but timed pulls later!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okaaay, okaaay...yes it feels faster...that what you wanted to hear? 10 horse/lb ft is believable...timed pulls later!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
nao nao nao!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
waiting eagerly
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Group Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
waiting eagerly
Alright, I'm sold.

Group buy anyone? Andrew: can you work pricing out?

-Grayson
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #28
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
Same, there's an Aussie member on here putting one on his 125i, will be interested to hear how it goes.
There is? Who?
      10-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #29
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

Fireflyer, do you have any other mods on your car, or is this the first from stock?
      10-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #30
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm sure he'll post once it's installed.. would not want to name names at this stage as person may wish to keep quiet on it. - would be brutal if someone's warranty was voided because of a post on the forum.
      10-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #31
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay, after a few more miles...very pleased! Car drives like it should have from the day it left the factory! Before, it felt like it was "holding back", and there seemed to be "steps" in the accelleration, but no more. Now, she is very eager - like a puppy straining at the leash, wanting to run ahead and play.

I am not the type to imagine this stuff for sake of wanting to believe, honest. If the tune had no noticable effect, I'd say so. Fact is, the difference is appreciable and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.

Numbers: Well, when I got back to my "spot", there was a car stranded on the side of the road near where my speed would be getting up there a bit, with a second car giving assistance. All people were away from the road, but still I didn't feel it was appropriate to be flying past them multiple times. So...I only flew past them twice. First run (again, 3rd gear from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm) was 11.10, second run was 11.09. Average from my 5 previous runs was 11.31. Also, it is quite foggy tonight; not good for engine power and probably worse than the light rain that was falling during my morning baseline testing. I will be returning in the morning for a full 5-run average, but it is obvious to me that this product gives a performance increase I can both feel and measure, and is well worth the money. From the moment I closed the hood, the car has started, idled, and behaved just as stock, period. Gas mileage remains to be seen, but I do not expect any decrease on the car's behalf. My driving style is another issue!

Now, I do not know how the performance increase I have found will translate into 0-60 or quarter mile improvements, but those improvements should certainly be there! I set up my testing to be simple, eliminate launch and shifting variables, and cover most of the useable rpm range.

Now, about installation...

First I want to mention that Andrew at EMS not only shipped the tune out right away and in excellent bubble-wrap packaging, but he also provided me with the correct "pin-out", which I verified with Terry at BMS (makers of the JB-3 and other tunes and products for the 135) as being correct. Thanks Andrew! Only thing, the full set of installation instructions for this tune are not yet published, so I used the PDF and video tutorials from other products on the BMS website to get me into the ECU box, then went with the pin-out Andrew provided. Took me 1.5 hours. Not to scare anyone away, but this is a job for the professional or at least a confident, experienced DIYer. Things to anticipate and be very patient and cautious with are: methods by which the various clips and connectors must be loosened and removed, being sure to insert the tabs properly when putting the cowl back on, counting and re-counting of the connector pin holes to ensure proper wiring, and careful routing of wires in the ECU box so as to not strain any of them. And, try not to drop a screw or small screwdriver - it could end up in "Never-Land". Anyway, I was thankful for my (distant) electronics backround during this install!

Nuff for now, but fire away with any questions, and I'll be certain to post follow-up reports. I must say, between this mod, the Hotchkis front sway, and the Breyton/Michelin combo...I have transformed my 1er into an extremely enjoyable ride that performs the way I wished it to from day um...ONE!
Attached Images

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 10-27-2009 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #32
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

Great to hear, your review has been hotly anticipated

Have you tried a few of the different maps, i understand you depress the accelerator when the car's in standby mode to get the different maps, any trouble knowing which map you're on? How do the different options perform?
      10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Well, when I got back to my "spot", there was a car stranded on the side of the road near where my speed would be getting up there a bit, with a second car giving assistance. All people were away from the road, but still I didn't feel it was appropriate to be flying past them multiple times. So...I only flew past them twice.
Classic!

Thanks for the writeup. I'm starting to get convinced that the everyday behavioural improvements are worth more than outright numbers... sounds promising.

Did you manage to take any pics of the install, or are these available in a manual somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #34
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
I'm sure he'll post once it's installed.. would not want to name names at this stage as person may wish to keep quiet on it. - would be brutal if someone's warranty was voided because of a post on the forum.
Yeah, fair enough. I was keen to PM them immediately to find out more!
      10-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #35
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear, your review has been hotly anticipated

Have you tried a few of the different maps, i understand you depress the accelerator when the car's in standby mode to get the different maps, any trouble knowing which map you're on? How do the different options perform?
Power is the same for the different maps, but the throttle response improvement can be adjusted 3 ways (lo/med/hi sensitivity) or turned off. A couple of the maps are throttle response improvement only, with the power portion turned off. Full details are on the BMS website. The default setting is with either the medium or high throttle response (can't recall just this moment) but it feels perfect! If you forget which map you're on, you go back to zero and reset easily! Also on the BMS website are all the worldwide applicatons for this tune, so check that out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #36
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
Classic!

Thanks for the writeup. I'm starting to get convinced that the everyday behavioural improvements are worth more than outright numbers... sounds promising.

Did you manage to take any pics of the install, or are these available in a manual somewhere?
I had a minimum of time to get the job done - if I did take pics, I would have wanted to do it in great detail and would have needed more time. However, if I end up doing the install on another forum member's car, I will request we take the time to do so.

I watched the install videos for similar BMS pinout/professional products, and there are pics in the PDF guides on their site. These were a great deal of help. Still though, it's hard to show and describe the methods for un-doing some of the very small clips etc. Patience is the key!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #37
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Quote:
I had a minimum of time to get the job done - if I did take pics, I would have wanted to do it in great detail and would have needed more time. However, if I end up doing the install on another forum member's car, I will request we take the time to do so.

I watched the install videos for similar BMS pinout/professional products, and there are pics in the PDF guides on their site. These were a great deal of help. Still though, it's hard to show and describe the methods for un-doing some of the very small clips etc. Patience is the key!
Well, I might have to take a drive up to CT from NJ to work on this install!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #38
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabwind51 View Post
Well, I might have to take a drive up to CT from NJ to work on this install!
We can make that happen Jab! I have a fellow forum member from NJ coming this Saturday to do a front sway install here. I work for lunch. A good lunch though, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #39
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Should have mentioned there is supposed to be a short "learning period" for the ECU with this tune. Not sure how that all works, but welcome to the future. Anyway, headed back out to my slightly uphill "test facility" for a few more timed pulls, and this time got 10.97, 10.98, and 10.94 for the same 2,000 to 6,000 rpm third gear pulls (this is roughly 30 to 90 mph). This is another 1/10th+ off previous times and more than 3/10ths off stock (stock average was 11.31). I consider this real-world significant. ECU seems to be learning well, but I won't expect more. Engine seems to have a bit more of a growl maybe. Now I just want reliability and invisibility from this mod, and I fully expect both. Very happy, can you tell?

Okay, let's talk about SSK and a Meisterschaft axle-back now!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #40
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

Nice!!, looking forward to hearing more about this mod, and i wish you the best of luck with the invisibility, that is one of the factors thats making me keep my fingers crossed for ya? Did you actually have to open up the ECU? or is it just a between wiring harnesses plug in?
      10-28-2009, 02:48 AM   #41
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I watched the install videos for similar BMS pinout/professional products, and there are pics in the PDF guides on their site.
I'm having trouble finding the above... which site should I be searching on? www.exquisitemotorsports.com?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #42
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
I'm having trouble finding the above... which site should I be searching on? www.exquisitemotorsports.com?
try this one
www.burgertuning.com

this is the company that makes it
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #43
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White1 View Post
Nice!!, looking forward to hearing more about this mod, and i wish you the best of luck with the invisibility, that is one of the factors thats making me keep my fingers crossed for ya? Did you actually have to open up the ECU? or is it just a between wiring harnesses plug in?
I was actually referring to "invisibility of use" during daily driving - seamless operation without calling any attention to itself. But yeah, don't want dealer hassles either, however I don't expect problems, since there are no lights or codes. I'm just livin' one day at a time and not thinking too much about the dealer, I just want what I want. My service manager tells me that in order for a warranty to be voided, the breakage has to be a result of the mod. If a power window motor goes south for instance, I'm not going to be told it's because of my sway bar mod or tuner mod, so I'm cozy with that.

To answer your question, yes, I had to open the ECU box (see my review) and do "brain surgery". You're basically pulling wires out of certain slots in 3 different ECU connectors, connecting it to a wire from the tuner, then replacing it with with another wire from the tuner. Bring your reading glasses and a bright light! Not for the timid, but straightforward and do-able if you're experienced. 1.5 hours total for the job and all works perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #44
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
try this one
www.burgertuning.com

this is the company that makes it
Yes, and Terry at Burger provided support and confidence by answering some questions before I got started. I wanted to give props to Andrew at EMS (a BMS distributor) for being a good and supportive seller. He's been on this forum (he started this thread!) and has a nice website.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread