BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Which DP N55 135i? Berk, AR, BMS, or VRSF

Well... The time has come to choose a DP for my 2011 135i N55 but I don't know which one to get? I want something that will give me maximum performance with Cobb Stage 2 and that will also give my Berk Street Exhaust a nicer note during WOT. I have been looking into 4 different pipes; Berk, VRSF, AR, and BMS. I was hoping anyone with experience with these brands could aid in my decision!
BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS DP, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, KW CS Coilover, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, Stage 2 Fuel Pump, M3 Control Arms, Dinan Camber Plates, Pure Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

I have the AR catless DP, I'm stock the rest of the exhaust though. When I installed it I noticed higher boost levels instantly, maybe slightly faster spool times but I also revved harder than normal so I don't really attribute that to the DP, and I could feel the torque increase (also run a JB4 and BMS intake)

As far as sound goes--I really really need to finish the exhaust lol. The N55 has way more gargle than I anticipated. It's smooth and polished when stepping on the gas, but it doesn't like to be let off. That's when you hear the burble/gargle come through. How this applies to driving--shift points have to be spot on and RPM matching makes your car sound incredible. Miss something and you get what other people perceive as backfires (not really, but its hard to explain to someone not as aware of cars)

Fit and finish on the AR was impeccable. Took OEM DP off and the AR bolted right up, not a big deal at all. I was able to do it without moving the tranny mount or any suspension connections. I slid under the car so that I could comfortably work with my hands around the DP--did most of the job blind just by feeling around. The V clamp kind of sucked getting back on (my trick was to buy a longer bolt and use it to get initial threading through and tighten the clamp down, then use small vise grip on tab and put the OEM bolt back in--then tighten it down completely) Because of limited space a 1/4" ratchet did the job. I did have to pull the midpipes up closer to the DP than stock, but that wasn't hard at all--actually made the exhaust tips sit more flush with my stock diffuser.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about install or anything regarding it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MonsterNtheMaking View Post
I have the AR catless DP, I'm stock the rest of the exhaust though. When I installed it I noticed higher boost levels instantly, maybe slightly faster spool times but I also revved harder than normal so I don't really attribute that to the DP, and I could feel the torque increase (also run a JB4 and BMS intake)

As far as sound goes--I really really need to finish the exhaust lol. The N55 has way more gargle than I anticipated. It's smooth and polished when stepping on the gas, but it doesn't like to be let off. That's when you hear the burble/gargle come through. How this applies to driving--shift points have to be spot on and RPM matching makes your car sound incredible. Miss something and you get what other people perceive as backfires (not really, but its hard to explain to someone not as aware of cars)

Fit and finish on the AR was impeccable. Took OEM DP off and the AR bolted right up, not a big deal at all. I was able to do it without moving the tranny mount or any suspension connections. I slid under the car so that I could comfortably work with my hands around the DP--did most of the job blind just by feeling around. The V clamp kind of sucked getting back on (my trick was to buy a longer bolt and use it to get initial threading through and tighten the clamp down, then use small vise grip on tab and put the OEM bolt back in--then tighten it down completely) Because of limited space a 1/4" ratchet did the job. I did have to pull the midpipes up closer to the DP than stock, but that wasn't hard at all--actually made the exhaust tips sit more flush with my stock diffuser.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about install or anything regarding it.
That was awesome! Thank you very much! I am running a COBB tune on my car, I guess I will not be needed a CEL fix? Is there a rasp at all with the Catless DP?
BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS DP, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, KW CS Coilover, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, Stage 2 Fuel Pump, M3 Control Arms, Dinan Camber Plates, Pure Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

I haven't had a CEL for anything O2 sensor related, so I think you will be good. There's no real "rasp"--when accelerating its fairly smooth, only sounds I personally don't like are the gargling when I let off. Its only a few pops and it's done but I tend to be a perfectionist about it. Resonated mid pipes should help me out there...but wheels are first on the list.

Cold start ups are terrible, and before soot accumulates on the new pipe it will be louder, not by much, but it does settle down after about 1000 miles or so of driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
terrible? meaning they sound amazing? i dont get why people dont like deep throaty tones and loud exhausts...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
terrible? meaning they sound amazing? i dont get why people dont like deep throaty tones and loud exhausts...
lol well I understand for those Daily Drivers. I live in Los Angeles and if I had to sit in traffic with drone and a loud exhaust in stop and go traffic for an hour I would probably lose my mind. Thankfully my car is a weekend car and I have a Berk exhaust with custom mid pipe, sounds awesome! I wanted the DP for performance and to really have a more exotic note at WOT
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I have the BMS DP and intake. The rest of the exhaust is stock N55. I like the sound once it warms up but cold starts are loud and sound like a delivery truck.

The garage under my flat is quite small with lots of angled walls. When I start up the car in the morning I'm almost embarrassed it's so loud. The retired guy who lives on the top floor (4 floor building) doesn't mind (he owns an Aston Martin) but I'm afraid of what the other two families think. I don't like to be a rude guest in another country.
      04-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
I have the BMS DP and intake. The rest of the exhaust is stock N55. I like the sound once it warms up but cold starts are loud and sound like a delivery truck.

The garage under my flat is quite small with lots of angled walls. When I start up the car in the morning I'm almost embarrassed it's so loud. The retired guy who lives on the top floor (4 floor building) doesn't mind (he owns an Aston Martin) but I'm afraid of what the other two families think. I don't like to be a rude guest in another country.
This is the main reason I have debated on getting a DP but thankfully I have a private long driveway far away from homes and I only use this car on Weekends so I turn it on when everyone is already awake. Arriving at night I drive as slow as possible with my current exhaust lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0bsession View Post
...thankfully I have a private long driveway far away from homes...
In LA? Well done, sir.
      04-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
mine doesn't sound deep and throaty until warm, then its nice when you're on the gas. My end goal is a much more exotic exhaust than stock, it'll get there but as of the moment, the DP is more for performance with the JB4 than for sound.

to me a perfect exhaust is unnoticeable at rest, but an exotic beast when getting on it. Loud is great, deep and throaty is even better--but starting the car from a chilled morning (think Ohio--its been high 20s at night by my house) makes that sucker ring like its waking up the neighborhood. little press of the gas pedal and it immediately simmers down to a much more tolerable sound
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
mine doesn't sound deep and throaty until warm, then its nice when you're on the gas. My end goal is a much more exotic exhaust than stock, it'll get there but as of the moment, the DP is more for performance with the JB4 than for sound.

to me a perfect exhaust is unnoticeable at rest, but an exotic beast when getting on it. Loud is great, deep and throaty is even better--but starting the car from a chilled morning (think Ohio--its been high 20s at night by my house) makes that sucker ring like its waking up the neighborhood. little press of the gas pedal and it immediately simmers down to a much more tolerable sound
Considering you want a more exotic sound vs loudness, have you thought of getting the BMW Performance exhaust? I have a buddy with the Exhaust and a downpipe. When he is driving it has zero drone and you dont even know he has an upgraded exhaust. When he floors it the sound just opens up and for a second you think you are hearing some kind of exotic italian car. I like deep low end exhaust tones so I went the aftermarket route.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Considering you want a more exotic sound vs loudness, have you thought of getting the BMW Performance exhaust? I have a buddy with the Exhaust and a downpipe. When he is driving it has zero drone and you dont even know he has an upgraded exhaust. When he floors it the sound just opens up and for a second you think you are hearing some kind of exotic italian car. I like deep low end exhaust tones so I went the aftermarket route.
yea that's what I'm really leaning towards. akopp has a youtube video that makes a very strong case for berk street exhaust, but I think the BMW PE is what I'm after.

your buddy have a video up anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
bmw0bsession
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
yea that's what I'm really leaning towards. akopp has a youtube video that makes a very strong case for berk street exhaust, but I think the BMW PE is what I'm after.

your buddy have a video up anywhere?
You know he doesn't but I will try and get one for you this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know he doesn't but I will try and get one for you this weekend!
thanks! that'd be great
Appreciate 0