BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Post Inaugural Joey G / VAC Open Track Day NJMP - 4/2/12

https://www.opentrackdayevents.com/

Some pics from our first track day event. ~50 cars had access to the track from 9AM-6PM - pretty epic. Aaron Povoledo was on hand for coaching and Roger Caddell of AiM Sports was there for data acquisition. We have 5 more in 2012 and it would be nice to see some E8Xs Competition license is preferred, but people with a lot of school/DE experience are also welcome.

This E92 M we just built for a customer will be at our May 2 event...more pics of this soon

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
nice cars! pretty hardcore group!
      04-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Would be nice to one day have toys like those.
      04-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

looks like a great event! sorry we couldn't attend; the racecar wasn't ready in time. next year!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys. four: we have 5 more events, next is on May 2

https://www.opentrackdayevents.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Nice pics. I see a lot of full blown race cars. It will be hard to compete against them in a street, modded but still a street 135i. Having said that, i think i will join you guys in june and july. No point bys needed? I like that rule
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just registered for may 2. Anyone else is coming?
With no point bys, it should be interesting. I have not done open track with no point bys yet, but i think it will be as close to real racing as it gets. I will report back next week after the track day.
BTW, if you remember from my previous posts, i was not happy to find out that some of the forum members RB Rotors have failed in just one track day. I got return auth# from RB Racing and was ready to send my new RB Rotors back, but have changed my mind and decided to give them a shot next week at Thunderbolt in NJ.
It will be my first track day this season.
If they work, its going to be a major upgrade over the stock or power slot rotors that i was running. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #8
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Just registered for may 2. Anyone else is coming?
With no point bys, it should be interesting. I have not done open track with no point bys yet, but i think it will be as close to real racing as it gets. I will report back next week after the track day.
BTW, if you remember from my previous posts, i was not happy to find out that some of the forum members RB Rotors have failed in just one track day. I got return auth# from RB Racing and was ready to send my new RB Rotors back, but have changed my mind and decided to give them a shot next week at Thunderbolt in NJ.
It will be my first track day this season.
If they work, its going to be a major upgrade over the stock or power slot rotors that i was running. We will see.
David...just run some cooling ducts to get more air on them and you should be fine. Plus Thunderbolt I feel isn't as bad on the brakes as Summit Main is.
      04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

This track is not as hard on brakes as WGI or Summit i guess(never been there), but there is one very hard braking place at the end of the frontstreight.
I dont want to run any ducts simply because with my previous set up i never had any brake issues even at WGI. RB Rotors are slotted and are 7 pounds lighter than power slots. If these rotors work it would be great, as removing 14 pounds of unsprung weight from the front of the car is a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

David, how did the RB rotors do?

Also, May 2 pics are going up now. Joey said "that MFer drove the wheels off that 135i!"

Joey is a very talented driver with an amazing Cayman race car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hey Mike, it was very nice to meet you guys.
I wrote a mini review about RB Rotors in susp/brakes section.
I have to say that i really enjoyed the open track format, it definitely felt more like a club racing than HPDE. No point bys necessary, no passing restrictions, we could go on the track any time we wanted, i loved it. For the first time i was able to pass in the corner without being afraid to be black flagged.
Joeys Cayman was the fastest cayman i have ever seen, so was that Ferrari Challenge race car. He was flying.
There were a lot of race cars with fantastic drivers. I think i was the only one along with maybe 2 or 3 cars that drove to the track. Most of them came with trailers as their cars are not street legal.
Overall, it was a great day and i think i will attend your next event in june
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep

Good to hear - we took a bit of a chance with this event series!

Yes, his PDK Cayman is FAAST. Fast driver too, I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Hey Mike, it was very nice to meet you guys.
I wrote a mini review about RB Rotors in susp/brakes section.
I have to say that i really enjoyed the open track format, it definitely felt more like a club racing than HPDE. No point bys necessary, no passing restrictions, we could go on the track any time we wanted, i loved it. For the first time i was able to pass in the corner without being afraid to be black flagged.
Joeys Cayman was the fastest cayman i have ever seen, so was that Ferrari Challenge race car. He was flying.
There were a lot of race cars with fantastic drivers. I think i was the only one along with maybe 2 or 3 cars that drove to the track. Most of them came with trailers as their cars are not street legal.
Overall, it was a great day and i think i will attend your next event in june
Appreciate 0