BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
PurpleHeart135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Just another DP Thread

This is also posted in my journal thread just looking for advice and I figure the technical section would be a better bet than photo gallery.

This is with regards to my 09 n54 135.

So this weekend I installed the AA Downpipes. The are packaged really well, fast shipping, and a great looking part. They also fit very nicely.

Now, onto the fun stuff. So the o2 sensors are kind of a pita. I just unhooked them up top and underneath and dragged the oem downpipes out o2 sensors and all as opposed to getting the o2's out with the dp's still installed. I then reinstalled the o2 sensors into the appropriate downpipe and installed the new AA downpipes. Went it smoothly, v-bands are kind of a pain but whatever. Now I have an issue that I think I have the solution to but so far the headache is still there.

I have misfires in cylinders 1-3 with other o2 related codes. Here are the codes: (These are read by an OBDII reader with the jb4 off)

P0301 --> Misfire cyl 1
P0302 --> Misfire cyl 2
P0303 --> Misfire cyl 3
P0305 --> Misfire cyl 5
P0136 --> Oxygen Sensor Malfunction (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P2197 --> Lean o2 sensor bank 1 and 2? (This one I couldn't find a definitive answer(

So, I talk to the dealer just to go over things and ask about the o2 sensors and connectors. They tell me that the bottom o2 sensors can plug into each other. False. The connectors can not and will not connect because they are indeed different. Next time I have it on a lift I'll snap pictures to prove that. I am thinking the dealer thought I was talking about the o2 sensors themselves and in that case yes, they can each screw into any of the 4 holes. That is true. However, I am positive that the o2 sensors are in the correct physical place.

The last thing to check are the upper o2 connectors underneath the engine cover. However, I didn't see a way that these could possibly be flipped around because one was quite a bit longer than the other, however, I wouldn't be surprised if I could flip these around.

All codes and such happened as soon as the new downpipes were put in so a coincidence in that the injectors/plugs/pump are an issue at the exact same time the downpipes went in (at least in my head) are very slim. Those would be the next place to go in the even the misfires continue.

Any of you technically inclined out there have any ideas? I think I am on a fair path to approach this. I vowed to never seriously modify a vehicle again after the subaru and just with the downpipes I'm already second guessing where I want to go as far as performance with the car. I'll probably call it a day after the jb4/downpipes and a big maybe on the fmic. Just want to get this figured out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

My best guess is you have an exhaust leak, maybe at the Vbands. If the exhaust isn't airtight from the head to the oxygen sensor, fresh air can get in and make the car read lean (possibly VERY lean). This is worse the closer the oxygen sensor is to the head, because those are used for trimming fuel. The last set of oxygen sensors after the cats are typically just to make sure the cats are working, but can affect amount of fuel dumped as the car could think your cats are cooking to death. So, I'd tend to think it's the first set of sensors which are critical.

It's super easy to swap the first set of oxygen sensors at the top of the downpipe. They're right next to each other.

See here:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KkwAilVjAW...54engine11.jpg

The set of oxygen sensors at the top of the DP practically touch with factory downpipes. How sure is sure when you say you didn't swap them?
      02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Simon930
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 135i Auto

Why did you unplug the 02 sensors?
You should of just unscrewed them and left them hanging
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

I'm here for the double penetration.

Oh wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon930 View Post

A lot of the time it's a lot easier to unclip a weatherpack connector than to unscrew an O2 sensor. O2 sensor threads get dirty from exhaust particulates so they take some effort, it usually requires a big wrench (hard to fit an open ended 22-24mm wrench inside a packed engine bay, or even with an articulated wrench get the leverage), and you have to twist the wire many turns. To unclip a wire you often can do it with a finger nail or small flat blade screw driver then just pull.

Last edited by Freon; 02-04-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
PurpleHeart135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon930 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
A lot of the time it's a lot easier to unclip a weatherpack connector than to unscrew an O2 sensor. O2 sensor threads get dirty from exhaust particulates so they take some effort, it usually requires a big wrench (hard to fit an open ended 22-24mm wrench inside a packed engine bay, or even with an articulated wrench get the leverage), and you have to twist the wire many turns. To unclip a wire you often can do it with a finger nail or small flat blade screw driver then just pull.
^That pretty much sums it up. The sensors can either be a pain and a lot of broken skin on the knuckles or relatively easy by just unsnapping the clips and boom, everything comes out easy.

I fixed up everything. The rear o2 sensors (as I mentioned before) will only fit in the one they are supposed to. However, the upper ones are universal for whatever reason and it turns out that those were switched. It really is amazing what will happen to the car when they are switched around. It was, however, strange because the plug that has to go further is actually shorter so I had to reroute it a little bit but all is well now.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Simon930
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 135i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart135 View Post
^That pretty much sums it up. The sensors can either be a pain and a lot of broken skin on the knuckles or relatively easy by just unsnapping the clips and boom, everything comes out easy.

I fixed up everything. The rear o2 sensors (as I mentioned before) will only fit in the one they are supposed to. However, the upper ones are universal for whatever reason and it turns out that those were switched. It really is amazing what will happen to the car when they are switched around. It was, however, strange because the plug that has to go further is actually shorter so I had to reroute it a little bit but all is well now.
I've done over 20 sets on downpipes and never had an issue taking off 02 sensors
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
PurpleHeart135
Private
Rep

^That's good then. But taking off a clip is still easier IMO. I just didn't feel like fighting with the o2's which were still in pretty tight even with the downpipes out
Appreciate 0