BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Poor service by dealer

Ordered a 135i coupe back in November and it's expected to arrive by the end of this month. I won't name the dealer concerned at the moment but I wanted to check whether the following was typical of your experiences when ordering a new car:

- Lots of contact (phone calls and e-mails) until the deal was agreed and contract signed. After that, lengthy delays (in most cases days, and requiring a follow-up call) to return phone calls and e-mails. I haven't even been particularly high maintenance, I've probably only called 2-3 times since placing the order to get an estimated delivery date

- Most recently, requested the VIN to arrange insurance, dealer said they would e-mail it to me two days ago. No e-mail despite a friendly reminder e-mail in case he's lost my e-mail address

- Only pro-active phone calls that came through were from the window tinting/paint protection chick (who isn't an employee of the dealer anyway) or the business manager trying to sell me BMW insurance

- Dealer is very keen to get the car into March's sales figures but the car will not be ready by this weekend when I would have had time to collect it (hard for me to get a block of time away from the office during the week). Suggested that I come up to the dealership, give them my bank cheque this weekend and collect the car down the track when I'm ready, WTF?

Is this typical of the BMW buying experience or are my expectations too high?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Bimmerle
just a little Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport coupe

I bought my car through Private Fleet, who eventually gave the order to Brisbane BMW (their top-rated BMW dealer for Queensland). The whole process went very smoothly without problems. I was even able to leave my trade-in in the BMW car park and Private Fleet arranged to have it picked up. It's a bit hard to say exactly how much I saved, but it was certainly more than I could have obtained by direct negotiation with the dealer. Private Fleet handled all communications with the dealer concerning delivery dates, and I was updated weekly without prompting.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

sounds about right, shame as they are making a shitload of cash out of you.

My Uncle just came back from a boat buying trip in California, he called me to say he saw my car on special in a LA dealer ship for US 29,990 drive away. Dealers are trying to flog these for 102 grand here. you should get excellent service for that
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
nvanorten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140

Based on my experience I'm sure the OP is dealing with BMW Sydney, this story has all their hallmarks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
petersracing
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Exige S, 130i

As someone who purchased from Adelaide BMW I am quite jealous of the superior service you received. Mine even bullshitted me that it was a legal requirement for them to put the number plates onto my car with screws when I had asked them not to.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
135BANDIT
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 BMT & X5 Msport

BMW customer service is not exactly premium IMHO and the above comments were similar to my local Sydney experience

Having had a previous Benz , i can tell you they do actually go the extra mile for there customers , although the standard cars are sluggish !!

Poor customer service vs Sluggish performance ------------------ I THINK YOU CAN GUESS MY ANSWER

Still , its not good enough.

JD
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Similiar experience here. I have bought my first and last BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
sounds about right, shame as they are making a shitload of cash out of you.

My Uncle just came back from a boat buying trip in California, he called me to say he saw my car on special in a LA dealer ship for US 29,990 drive away. Dealers are trying to flog these for 102 grand here. you should get excellent service for that
It's not the dealer making all the money. I think BMW Australia is make most of it. We also have luxury car tax, high stamp duty etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Sounds to me like a certain dealer on the Northern Beaches

Bad to see this service. It's always the same case though; once your deposit is down, thanks for coming - balance date approaches and all calls start again.

However my Dealer, Kloster were great. 3 follow-up calls within 2 days of getting the car (one to make sure i got back to Sydney safely, Sunday to check the car had no rattles, Monday a thank-you from the dealer principal). As it is a novated lease through my business, it took them a day to prep and register the car. I had 3 quotes, they obviously won due to pricing and exact specs. I made that decision Thursday morning. My lease company had paid the full balance amount on Thursday evening, and I picked the car up Saturday morning 10am.

I think there's a massive variance between BMW Australia group dealers and licenced dealers, as well as metro/rural dealers. Put it this way, i'll be using Kloster BMW as long as i'm in Australia.

/end free advert
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Like all car dealers (and sales) you have good and bad ones. My previous BMW experience with Coastline, Westside, and Brisbane has been great. While Motorline hasn't been that crash hot, and I did walk out from Brisbane before I finally bought from Coastline and later found out the sales who I walked out on used to work in Motorline (my normal sales was doing a delivery in Melbourne).

Both Brisbane and especially Coastline gave excellent after sales service, and they never fail to follow up. Brisbane especially rang me so many times after I walked out of the dealership.

In comparison to Mercedes, although I have never bought from them, I found them not as helpful even before the deal (Brisbane, Centenary, Sunshine Coast and Adelaide). I have also heard many complains from friends who own Mercedes.

I guess after all, I believe it is about which sales and which dealership rather than the actual Marque itself. Like my recent calls to Porsche Adelaide - they followed up the next day when I show interest in the Cayenne and when I want one with a offroad pack and they didn't have one, they finished the conversation up very quickly
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Similiar experience here. I have bought my first and last BMW!
What would you get next then?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black MY09 E82 125i Coupe

Dude.
Sydney... Canterbury or Sylvania = FTW !!
      03-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkho View Post
Dude.
Sydney... Canterbury or Sylvania = FTW !!
Have to agree 100%.. After being their customer for the past 20years..

Dropped off my vert to Sylvania on Wednesday morning for the soft top to be assessed/re aligned and they have given me three courtesy calls since, to keep me updated on the repairs. One call yesterday and two calls today..

And a loan car (FREE of charge) of course...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences. in contrast since moving to qld from the uk in 2003 I have bought 5 bmws and I have been 110% satisfied. The best for me being Brisbane and westside. When I was buying the 135 I asked what will I drive whilst waiting for the car to be delivered even knowing I had other cars. The manager offered for me to drive any demo car available on the lot for the next 3 months! How's that for going the extra mile. I have been lucky so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerle View Post
I bought my car through Private Fleet, who eventually gave the order to Brisbane BMW (their top-rated BMW dealer for Queensland). The whole process went very smoothly without problems. I was even able to leave my trade-in in the BMW car park and Private Fleet arranged to have it picked up. It's a bit hard to say exactly how much I saved, but it was certainly more than I could have obtained by direct negotiation with the dealer. Private Fleet handled all communications with the dealer concerning delivery dates, and I was updated weekly without prompting.
I initially ordered a 125i through Private Fleet. Very good to deal with. Sadly, for them, the constant delaying of my delivery date meant I told them where to stick their 125i..............and bought a 135i locally instead!
      03-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #16
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersracing View Post
As someone who purchased from Adelaide BMW I am quite jealous of the superior service you received. Mine even bullshitted me that it was a legal requirement for them to put the number plates onto my car with screws when I had asked them not to.
I gave my dealer my personalised plates and the covers I'd used on my old BMW - but they still drilled the plates so they could use their own signwritten covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences. in contrast since moving to qld from the uk in 2003 I have bought 5 bmws and I have been 110% satisfied. The best for me being Brisbane and westside. When I was buying the 135 I asked what will I drive whilst waiting for the car to be delivered even knowing I had other cars. The manager offered for me to drive any demo car available on the lot for the next 3 months! How's that for going the extra mile. I have been lucky so far.
I wish my dealings with Brisbane BMW had been just a fraction like this...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #17
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
What would you get next then?
Good question. If I don't care about resale, probably an F6. More than likely some sort of diesel (manual) Toyota (boring and reliable). Decision probably a few yrs away, but if I get another HPFP failure, then I give up.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
hayespn
n00b
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Sport

I purchased mine through Brisbane BMW and I found the service to be outstanding. I was very very happy.

Living in Perth I was dreading my first visit to the only dealer here, especially since I didn't buy the car from them. Having had that visit I can honestly say that they blew me away with their professionalism and quality of service. Unfortunately, trying it out again tomorrow with a warranty issue. Expecting more of the same.

It's just one of the reasons I am happy to pay a premium for the brand. I would not hesitate to buy my next car from them, assuming the price is right.
      03-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
anthonygilbo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I bought mine from Motorline BMW in Brisbane and I am still happy with the service from my sales person. My guy has worked there for about 10 years and before getting into sales was the service manager. Not your typical sales person.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #20
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Yup - they suck up to you, sign the deal and you don't hear a thing until you pick up the car or they need something. When I get the new X5 I am going to make him explain every bloody detail right down to the best thing to clean the valve caps on the wheels. He's going to bloody earn his dealer-delivery fee!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 05:02 AM   #21
2bob
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW white135

I live on the northern beaches but bought from Canterbury BMW---i had bought 4 MINIS and 3 BMW fromthe local dealer so i thought they would look after me for the 135--no way---$5000 differance--Canterburys service has been great with free loan car and great follow up .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 12:26 AM   #22
Turvinator
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

Try Kloster BMW Newcastle

Just picked up my 135i coupe over the last few weeks, no other BMW dealer with stock could match the change over for my e90 330i and the sales and after sales service was A1 plus plus plus. Remember Sydney folk that Kloster BMW is approx. 1hr 10min from Hornsby. So maybe worth the drive!
Appreciate 0