BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Drew Rocker
Rep
Drives: 135i, white, 6-speed

Chattering noise in driver's door lock / latch.

Sometimes when I unlock the car and open the driver side door - maybe one in ten+ times - it makes a strange mechanical chattering noise for a second. Sometimes it even catches for an instant when I pull the door open.

I'm always surprised, so I haven't been able to narrow down the variables - how far I am from the car when I unlock it with the remote, how many seconds have passed before I open the door, etc. I can't repeat the conditions to demonstrate the problem.

The car has 7,000 miles but it's done this since new. It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. It has happened often enough that my friends are aware of it but it would never do at Rasumssen BMW - until yesterday, when I unlocked it for salesman Ty Vilhauer and he opened the door. The car had been pulled around from service for 10-15 minutes. Ty called the service advisor and shop foreman but it wouldn't do the noise for them, and they said they'd never heard of the problem.

Does anybody know what this is?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I think it is pretty common. It's the Comfort Access getting confused occasionally. Happens to me although not very often.

Annoying but I wouldn't worry about it. Try and be decisive with the door handle. Either touching only the ridges to lock or only the handle to open.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Gremlins. We'll figure it out Drew and it was great meeting you yesterday!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Naoto
warranty denied.
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

anyone else have this problem? ive had mine for a month and it does it at random times, but i cant pin point exactly where its coming from.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
anyone else have this problem? ive had mine for a month and it does it at random times, but i cant pin point exactly where its coming from.
It's not really a problem - see post #2.

Another tip - don't wash the car with the fob in your pocket as water spraying on the door handle can cause the lock to cycle.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Naoto
warranty denied.
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

i dont have comfort access, just a chattering noise at random times while locking or unlocking using the keyfob. it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, but i havent narrowed it down yet
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
i dont have comfort access, just a chattering noise at random times while locking or unlocking using the keyfob. it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, but i havent narrowed it down yet
That sounds like another issue entirely. If you are lucky, it will happen while at the dealer so it can be diagnosed & fixed under warranty.

Tom
Appreciate 0