E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Not sure what to think... of the unthinkable...

05-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Not sure what to think... of the unthinkable...

So... I got the call yesterday. Appointment today at 5:30pm to pickup my new 330... My wife and I head over to the dealership... arrive and life's great!

Then the unthinkable... my salesman (Who is probably the best sales person I have ever met in the business btw) tells me the unthinkable... during his inspection drive prior to delivery, he's determined that the Steptronic transmission has a problem. They brought it back into the shop and hooked-up the diagnostic machine... and sure thing... Tranny has a major problem.

So, after placing my order on 4/18/06... and waiting until today to pick it up.. watching it the entire way... production status... going to port... watching the ship cross the ocean and then blown away when it got to port on Friday the 26th and was at my dealer the following Tuesday, including time for memorial day.

So... the dealer said they were sorry, which I know it isn't their fault, and offered to give me a new X5 until the new transmission comes in. Which could be a couple of weeks... since it's shipped via truck.

I'm very disappointed... such anticipation... and now, more waiting. I did torture myself however, I went back in the service area and looked at my gimp e90... she looked beautiful.

I'm at a loss... I didn't give them much margin on the deal to begin with... and they have been very nice to me along the way. The wow factor really got a punch int he face today though. What is everyone else’s thoughts on this? How would you react? I'm not a jerk, so I don’t want to "Screw the dealer"... or anything, so responding like that isn't needed... but... thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Should've gotten a manual.

sorry, I couldn't help it!

Godspeed to the truck!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, it could have been much worse. It's a blessing you didn't first receive the car, then break down in heavy traffic, plus you get to drive a X5 as an added bonus. Sounds like the dealership is doing its best to accomodate you.

Sorry this had to happen to you. I'd be disappointed and flustered, but in the end this will simply amount to a small delay and inconvenience.
      05-31-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

It's unfortunate but at least they're giving you a new X5 to drive. If it only takes about a week that's not too bad. Hang in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjones
So... I got the call yesterday. Appointment today at 5:30pm to pickup my new 330... My wife and I head over to the dealership... arrive and life's great!

Then the unthinkable... my salesman (Who is probably the best sales person I have ever met in the business btw) tells me the unthinkable... during his inspection drive prior to delivery, he's determined that the Steptronic transmission has a problem. They brought it back into the shop and hooked-up the diagnostic machine... and sure thing... Tranny has a major problem.

So, after placing my order on 4/18/06... and waiting until today to pick it up.. watching it the entire way... production status... going to port... watching the ship cross the ocean and then blown away when it got to port on Friday the 26th and was at my dealer the following Tuesday, including time for memorial day.

So... the dealer said they were sorry, which I know it isn't their fault, and offered to give me a new X5 until the new transmission comes in. Which could be a couple of weeks... since it's shipped via truck.

I'm very disappointed... such anticipation... and now, more waiting. I did torture myself however, I went back in the service area and looked at my gimp e90... she looked beautiful.

I'm at a loss... I didn't give them much margin on the deal to begin with... and they have been very nice to me along the way. The wow factor really got a punch int he face today though. What is everyone else’s thoughts on this? How would you react? I'm not a jerk, so I don’t want to "Screw the dealer"... or anything, so responding like that isn't needed... but... thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated.
Think of it this way - your car has been "pre-disastered". Now that you have that out of the way it can only be smooth sailing from here on out!

Seriously, I feel your pain! But it sounds like everything is being handled in a reasonable manner. Not too shabby on the loaner... I know this won't make you feel any better, but I ordered mine on 4/14/06 and won't receive it until 6/12/06 at the Performance Center. Hang in there!
      05-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbh
Think of it this way - your car has been "pre-disastered". Now that you have that out of the way it can only be smooth sailing from here on out!

Seriously, I feel your pain! But it sounds like everything is being handled in a reasonable manner. Not too shabby on the loaner... I know this won't make you feel any better, but I ordered mine on 4/14/06 and won't receive it until 6/12/06 at the Performance Center. Hang in there!
Hey, I was thinking about taking the two-day driving school on the 12th. Maybe we'll see each other there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

yep... the X5 isn't all to shabby...

We went out for steak tonight. I guess it's nothing that a good chunk of cow can't fix. The dealership has always impressed me... to say the least. Everyone from the salesman, to sales manager, even the new finance guy... all just give 110% to their customers.

Ya know, I do appreciate Gavin(Salesman) taking the liberty to give my car a pre-delivery test drive as he does for all of his customers. I know that I would have been PISSED if I had taken the car and broke down on the expressway.

*shrug* I guess I could use the wow factor. Thats my point I guess. Walking in for delivery and having something like this kinda kills the mood/buzz.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Hey, I was thinking about taking the two-day driving school on the 12th. Maybe we'll see each other there.
Now that really sounds like fun! Hope to see you there, but if not, be sure to give us a review.
      06-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Sounds like you have a good dealer and they're going to make everything right. I wouldn't worry about the margin and such as far as you're repair goes. It's all warranty work and they're getting paid by BMWNA for it. It's nice they gave you an x5 to drive too. They could have stuck you with a rental company or something.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
As others have mentioned, the dealer did right by telling you and offering the use of the X5. If you're not 100% comfortable with the prospect of having a tranny replaced, is ordering a new car an option?

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

Of course...

I could order another vehicle... however, as I have said, I have faith in my dealership. John Holtz BMW has done me right each and everytime i've delt with them.

As I first mentioned, i'm not looking for handouts... just a little shocked is all. I will still rate the dealership 5/5 as I know how important their ratings are. I will of course drive my new E90 prior to putting my name on paper for them though.

I think I might send a letter to BMW however still. Telling them about my experience and see what their take on things is. I guess, like i've been saying... the "wow" factor is kinda gone right now... i'm sure it'll come back when I finally get my E90... but, for now... an X5, while very nice, isn't much more impressive than my wifes new Murano.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

Guess my worry is over quicker than I thought. What an amazing dealership. Not only did they secure me a nearly identical vehicle... the one option I didn't go with, sat prep, is on a car that just came to port that they traded so I could have a car.

Ideintical... but, they are giving me the sat prep on this other identical car, for free. and I drove the x5 for a week. Nothing short of amazing. John Holtz BMW is awsome..

Still going to inquire to BMW about how it could have slipped through and explain that although Holtz is going above and beyond, that they shouldn't have had to.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Great ending to the story. I am really surprised that the 330 slipped through BMW quality control. I thought that the vehicle is checked at the port of entry, prior to being delivered to the dealer. It also was checked at the factory and driven. When I picked up my ED 325, the car had 3 miles on it. The factory rep explained that the car was driven on the factory's own course to make sure it was 100%.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

good to hear a happy ending I would definitely write a letter to BMW complaining the fact that a faulty transmission got through QC at the factory, and I would definitely mention your dealer with regards to their over and beyond service, just from reading your story, I'm wowed by what they done for you, kudos to them
      06-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #15
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

QA

Yea... my overall experience was saved by my dealership, John Holtz BMW in Rochester, NY - Kudos to them...

I like so many of you who have replied and PM'd me am shocked however that my 330 got trhough quality control inspections not only at the factory but at the VPC as well. From all that I have read, it doesn't look likethis really ever happens. I guess I was shocked when my salesman called me and said that my car was there already on Tuesday morning... when it came in on the 26th... friday before memorial day. I didn't expect the VPC to be open on Saturday or Monday. I guess I might have had someone inspecting my car who just wanted to go enjoy the nice weather we had over the holiday weekend.

I'm not sure who to write to so that my "voice" can be heard, however... i've started drafting a letter that I am going to be sure to send. I made sure that BMW knows of the above and beyond help and support that Holtz BMW has given me. Someone dropped the ball... but, it wasn't my dealership.

I think it's a little funny however that I ordered my E90 without the sat prep because I didn't think I would ever use it... and now, I get it for free, hahah. I think I would rather have the trunk cargo organizer... the one that pulls out like a tray. Whatever though.

Now, i'm sitting here waiting for the call again. Hopefully this time... they have my beautiful jet black baby sittin out front when I pull in so I can smile ear to ear and have pen in hand when I walk through the door.
Appreciate 0