BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #67
Grimlock85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3 / 135i

I've been following this thread for the past couple of days. This app sounds very promising, I may have to give it a try. Does anyone know if dealers can see that you've gone in with the app and coded things? I feel like there would be a log every time changes occur
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #68
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Gotta wait on the adapter to come in that they suggest as the one I have doesnt seem to work, but what setting do you adjust exactly to make the AE's voltages higher?
      06-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #69
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom_nom_time View Post
I've been following this thread for the past couple of days. This app sounds very promising, I may have to give it a try. Does anyone know if dealers can see that you've gone in with the app and coded things? I feel like there would be a log every time changes occur

What this is doing is just enabling or disabling options from factory settings. If they want to see if you've done this then they can just notice things like autofolding mirrors and higher voltage lights etc. But they don't check for factory coding options. It's not like they are going to see that you have brighter angel eyes, and then blame that when your water pump fails etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #70
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Gotta wait on the adapter to come in that they suggest as the one I have doesnt seem to work, but what setting do you adjust exactly to make the AE's voltages higher?
I'm doing a local car soon so I'll have to take screenshots of the exact settings for voltage, but its clearly labled like "DRL voltage" or "AE voltage" or something. Then just change them to "very high" I believe it was called. Whatever the maximum is. Its still within factory specs.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #71
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietTab View Post
Mirrors dont and cant fold/unfold on lock. The way to do this is to exit the car, and hold your finger on the comfort access for 3 seconds after the car locks VIA and only VIA comfort access. They will then fold in. If you don't have CA it doesn't work at all, fold on lock is misleading, its fold on hold the CA lock button outside the car
They can, actually, but it's a different coding process that includes editing the nettodat w/ncs dummy from 0f for the value (which is the default 2.5 sec) to 00 (instant/no delay).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #72
Grimlock85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3 / 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
What this is doing is just enabling or disabling options from factory settings. If they want to see if you've done this then they can just notice things like autofolding mirrors and higher voltage lights etc. But they don't check for factory coding options. It's not like they are going to see that you have brighter angel eyes, and then blame that when your water pump fails etc.
Thanks, that's what i figured. do you know if anyone has had any problems restoring back to a previous state? i'm certain there's an option, just wondering if anyone out there has had problems doing this. In case you coding something and later decide you don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #73
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I haven't done any restores, but I changed my mind on some stuff like the 3 signal to 5. I wanted to put it back to 3, so I simply changed the setting back to 3 rather than restore all my other coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #74
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
No it's not. Double sided tape or velcro goes a long way. You can also get little cordura pouches (think leatherman tool pouch) for the two ballasts and then velcro that to the side of the cover. Better than just tucking them in there.
Being from AZ, I always think that anything with adhesive will melt/detach due to the heat.

I initially tried to install those bulbs within a month or so of getting the car. Now that some time has passed and I've actually wrenched on it, I may give it another shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #75
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

how do you know the voltage with bmwhat app?

FRM: Daytime running lights (Europe)
not active
active
BMWhat: Daytime running lights (Europe) active/not active.

FRM: Daytime running lights (Europe) Key 1
not active
active
BMWhat: Daytime running lights (Europe) active/not active. Separate setting for "Daytime running lights (Europe)" for key 1

FRM: Daytime running lights (Europe) Key 2
not active
active
BMWhat: Daytime running lights (Europe) active/not active. Separate setting for "Daytime running lights (Europe)" for key 2.

FRM: Daytime running lights (Europe) Key 3
not active
active
BMWhat: Daytime running lights (Europe) active/not active. Separate setting for "Daytime running lights (Europe)" for key 3.

FRM: Sidemarker (US)
not active
active
BMWhat: Sidemarkers are permanently active. May need additional "Sidemarker (US)" options set to "active" if available.

FRM: Sidemarker (US) brightness
off
low
medium
high
BMWhat: Brightness for "Sidemarker (US)".

FRM: Daytime running lights (US) customization
not active
dimmed turn signals
dimmed high beams
BMWhat: Customization of the US daytime running lights. Brightness can be set with "Daytime running lights (US) brightness".

FRM: Daytime running lights (US) brightness
low
medium
high
BMWhat: Brightness for dimmed US daytime running lights. To use this function, also activate "Daytime running lights (US)".

FRM: Daytime running lights (US)
not active
active
BMWhat: Use dimmed turn signals as daytime running lights. To activate this option, set the brightness to bright or dark.

FRM: Daytime running lights customization
Off
Turn signals (US)
High beams
Low beams
Corona-rings/Angel-eyes (EU)
BMWhat: Customization of the daytime running lights. For Corona-rings/Angel-eyes also activate "Daytime running lights (Europe)".

FRM: Daytime running lights - high beams
not active
active
BMWhat: Use high beams as daytime running lights. To activate this option, set "Daytime running lights" to "High beams".

FRM: Daytime running lights - high beams brightness
off
very low
low
medium
high
very high
BMWhat: Brightness for "Daytime running lights high beams".

its a little confusing
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #76
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

and which one is it?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #77
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

I just got my adapter today and messed around with it. Some of the settings aren't listed on the website. This is what I did:

All the angel eye settings set to very high (to get the 13.8v). Angel eye parking, standing DRL all three.
Set Day Running Lights (EU) to active. (needed for later settings)
Set Day Running Lights (customize) to AE/Corona EU.
Set Day Running Lights (US) to off if you want.

This sets the angel eyes to max brightness and turns off the turn signals as DRLs. This leaves just the angel eyes on when you unlock the car and drive around without the main headlights on.

This works alright, but the outer rings still end up being dim. With the Xenon being a bit higher color temp than my PIAA Precious Whites (4800k), there is still a difference. Definitely not as off putting as stock though. It's more subtle and you only notice if you stare at it.

I'd say the adapter is worth it in the long run because I can customize other things and pull codes from the engine if need be. I think I might look for some sort of LED solution eventually.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #78
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The outer ring will ALWAYS always ALWAYS always be dimmer than the inner ring. The only downside to using one bulb for both rings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #79
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
Quote:
The outer ring will ALWAYS always ALWAYS always be dimmer than the inner ring. The only downside to using one bulb for both rings.
+1

That's because the bulb is installed in the inner ring which makes it brighter and the light is only refracted into the outer ring losing some intensity making it dimmer.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #80
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
+1 I've done soo Much testing with a ripped apart headlight and the outer rings simply dont allow for as much light to reflect out
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #81
Devins 1SER135
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

Darkrom i have just purchased this app & have had the worst of luck. My angel eyes aren't showing me higher voltage!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #82
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devins 1SER135 View Post
Darkrom i have just purchased this app & have had the worst of luck. My angel eyes aren't showing me higher voltage!
What settings did you change? Go back and look, I bet you just missed one. If it said coding successful I'd be anything you missed an option.

As much as I love the app I don't work for them lol. You can always email them, their support has been helpful.

That doesn't mean I won't try to help. I just need some more info. Trust me it does work, I've used it on multiple cars.

For starters are you on android or iphone? What BT adapter are you using? I had MUCH better luck with the official one, but was able to do angel eyes with my cheapo one as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #83
Devins 1SER135
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

Quote:
What settings did you change? Go back and look, I bet you just missed one. If it said coding successful I'd be anything you missed an option.

As much as I love the app I don't work for them lol. You can always email them, their support has been helpful.

That doesn't mean I won't try to help. I just need some more info. Trust me it does work, I've used it on multiple cars.

For starters are you on android or iphone? What BT adapter are you using? I had MUCH better luck with the official one, but was able to do angel eyes with my cheapo one as well.
The problem was I didn't have my light switch on auto, so I'm good now
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #84
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Finally got my official BT android adapter. Going to give it a shot tomorrow. Will try to remember to post before and after pics.
      07-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #85
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devins 1SER135 View Post
The problem was I didn't have my light switch on auto, so I'm good now

Glad you got it working.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #86
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Noticed there are two modules that allow coding for folding mirrors. Which one is it that works? Or is it that both are required? I set the first one and it didnt work when I locked the car a minute ago. Is a long press required perhaps?

Tinkering with light settings. THINK I have it working. Adjusted all three AE brightness settings to Very High, EU DRL on, DRL specification to AE, and I think US DRL is off. I have to double check that one.

Whats the difference between EU and US DRLs?

What is the AE/DRL/Sidemarker voltage monitoring function?

Gotta get some different bulbs now, the "yellowness" of the stock H8 bulbs is very apparent now, but they do admittedly look brighter. It's dumping buckets out ATM so I will take pics later. Might be prime excuse to get a super bright yellow H8.
      07-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #87
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Noticed there are two modules that allow coding for folding mirrors. Which one is it that works? Or is it that both are required? I set the first one and it didnt work when I locked the car a minute ago. Is a long press required perhaps?

Tinkering with light settings. THINK I have it working. Adjusted all three AE brightness settings to Very High, EU DRL on, DRL specification to AE, and I think US DRL is off. I have to double check that one.

Whats the difference between EU and US DRLs?

What is the AE/DRL/Sidemarker voltage monitoring function?

Gotta get some different bulbs now, the "yellowness" of the stock H8 bulbs is very apparent now, but they do admittedly look brighter. It's dumping buckets out ATM so I will take pics later. Might be prime excuse to get a super bright yellow H8.

I did all the folding mirror settings. Try press and holding lock and it might fold as is. I ended up changing the press and hold delay settings to 0 seconds, so when I lock my car the mirrors fold every time. I like it that way.

Voltage monitoring just means you can throw in different lights like LEDs without throwing codes. Basically the car knows what the stock voltages are, and if you shut the monitoring off it will let you run whatever lights and not call it a light problem etc.

Did you put the light voltage on "very high". I love them on the highest setting it allows. Still no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #88
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

I'm pretty sure it mentioned in the description that you need to also activate another setting on another ECU.

Edit: If I turn off the voltage monitoring, does that mean it doesn't need a resistor to trick the ECU for LED lights?
Appreciate 0