BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupè

COBB on a track (Nurburgring)

Hi! This week i am planning to go to the Green Hell!!
My car is a 2011 1M with FMIC, DCI, Catback-exhaust, and of course the Cobb Accessport. Which do you think is the best map to get around the track without any reliability problems? I am using the Stage 2 + FMIC map but i am a bit scary to use it on the track. Are there huge difference in terms of reliability and temperatures between the Stage 1+ FMIC and Stage 2+ Fmic?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

If it's reliability you are after, then replace all your parts with BMW OEM

Nordschleife is not a short track, and unless you're a "sub 8" person I don't see a problem with heat issues.
If your car can handle the speed on regular motorway/highway/autobahn you should be OK.

Focus on how good your brakes are instead.
You'd need to use these more...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Stock…unless you have some serious skills, I doubt you will be able to take advantage of any power upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

It´s a bit confusing, just by Reading some posts would make one think that these cars can´t handle one single hp over stock to be ran on a track? What kind of power are we talking here?

I´m sure a 1M with 400+ hp is perfectly reliable even on a track!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post
That's certainly been my experience

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post
414 PS works fine on the track
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Stock…unless you have some serious skills, I doubt you will be able to take advantage of any power upgrades.

I came here to say the exact same thing. No sense in subjecting your car to the additional stress if the stock hp isn't holding you back.

I always run my car on stock tune on the track for this very reason...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I've just been to the Nurburgring this weekend with my little M. I have to say that I was really impressed, I was able to easily follow other friends with BMW's M3 totally modified (map, Brembo brakes, KW, flywheel, sport cup 1). They are very good with more experience than me (I have done only 20 laps at the Ring).
I had a problem with the engine light, while i was using the Stage 2 map, the car went into protection mode, the Cobb says that it was a turbo boost leak pression with the second turbo) I have turned off and the problem disappeared. Then for safety reasons i have decided to run with the stock map. I think that the error was due to petrol or perhaps carbon deposits that have broken away.
Here is a video, of me driving the 1M with stock map, Ohlins R/T and Dunlop Sport Maxx Race, Unfortunately I do not have video of the chase of the M3's because I had the battery of the camera fully discharged. In this lap there was a lot of traffic, and the tires and the brake pads were almost finished.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I can't imaging driving at those speeds with limited experience without a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Here's my run in the ring in my 128i, just 1 min slower then the gibbo. My car is near stock besides brakes and tires, I have about 20 laps too. If you never been on the ring, you won't be running these times. Power isn't everything the brakes are heavy on this track.

Edit excuse my fuck up at 3:20 my trans locked me out of the gear I wanted to get in and put me in first gear somehow and rear tires locked up for a split Sec but i didn't let the car hit redline so I corrected instantly. This is my 128i run.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo21 View Post
Well I've just been to the Nurburgring this weekend with my little M. I have to say that I was really impressed, I was able to easily follow other friends with BMW's M3 totally modified (map, Brembo brakes, KW, flywheel, sport cup 1). They are very good with more experience than me (I have done only 20 laps at the Ring).
I had a problem with the engine light, while i was using the Stage 2 map, the car went into protection mode, the Cobb says that it was a turbo boost leak pression with the second turbo) I have turned off and the problem disappeared. Then for safety reasons i have decided to run with the stock map. I think that the error was due to petrol or perhaps carbon deposits that have broken away.
Here is a video, of me driving the 1M with stock map, Ohlins R/T and Dunlop Sport Maxx Race, Unfortunately I do not have video of the chase of the M3's because I had the battery of the camera fully discharged. In this lap there was a lot of traffic, and the tires and the brake pads were almost finished.

Don't take Offense man but your driving a little wreckless lol. You know you shouldn't pass on the right haha. 2mins mark. Good run overall. Work on them lines, you'll be even faster! Remember smooth is fast, don't try and over correct too much. I normally go with the m flight club guys so I learned a lot, those guys have over 100 laps and are running mid 7 mins. Still learning every time I go
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #12
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks Gibbo for this exciting video and some impressive skills
What set up are you running, and was there a reason for fitting Dunlop SMR?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Agreed. Very entertaining video. The 'Ring looks so bumpy from the footage.
I just wish I could get rid of that central mirror
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
Thanks Gibbo for this exciting video and some impressive skills
What set up are you running, and was there a reason for fitting Dunlop SMR?
5 click for the ohlins R/T, stock brakes but with pagid RS19 pads, stock map, Downpipes and wagner intercooler.
I found the Dunlop as excellent value for money, they are very precise and intuitive and also not difficult if the car start to slide, the only problem is that they wear out relatively quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Agreed. Very entertaining video. The 'Ring looks so bumpy from the footage.
I just wish I could get rid of that central mirror
You know if it is possible to remove the central mirror?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Don't take Offense man but your driving a little wreckless lol. You know you shouldn't pass on the right haha. 2mins mark. Good run overall. Work on them lines, you'll be even faster! Remember smooth is fast, don't try and over correct too much. I normally go with the m flight club guys so I learned a lot, those guys have over 100 laps and are running mid 7 mins. Still learning every time I go
Thanks! It is difficult to talk about times and lines because in my lap there was a lot of traffic, and also a crash. There are some very good point on the track, like the Lauda Curve, kesselchen, the compression etc) where i go flat out. I still have a lot to learn
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
5 click for the ohlins R/T, stock brakes but with pagid RS19 pads, stock map, Downpipes and wagner intercooler.
I found the Dunlop as excellent value for money, they are very precise and intuitive and also not difficult if the car start to slide, the only problem is that they wear out relatively quickly.
Glad to hear this positive report; I considered these but eventually persisted with Michelin PSC+ for continuity and confidence.

Quote:
This would be highly undesirable, extremely dangerous, and almost certainly illegal

But if you yourself choose to, then the camera can be positioned immediately beside this central (rear vision) mirror to provide a clearer view.

Quote:
Thanks! It is difficult to talk about times and lines because in my lap there was a lot of traffic, and also a crash. There are some very good point on the track, like the Lauda Curve, kesselchen, the compression etc) where i go flat out. I still have a lot to learn
For such a complex circuit being driven hard and consistently, you seem quite relaxed ... either because you are driving very much within your own capabilities, or because you have trained up eg PS4/simulation ... it is very apparent that your level of technical proficiency far exceeds that shown in the 128i video
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #17
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

very nice
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #18
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear this positive report; I considered these but eventually persisted with Michelin PSC+ for continuity and confidence.
I do not hear very good opinions for the PSC+, i think the dunlop are better . The Sport cup 1 18 inch are the best semi slick ever, for the 19' the best are the Pirelli Trofeo R, but they are quite expensive

Quote:
For such a complex circuit being driven hard and consistently, you seem quite relaxed ... either because you are driving very much within your own capabilities, or because you have trained up eg PS4/simulation ... it is very apparent that your level of technical proficiency far exceeds that shown in the 128i video
Wow! I'm almost touched Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This would be highly undesirable, extremely dangerous, and almost certainly illegal

Buifif you yourself choose to, then the camera can be positioned immediately beside this central (rear vision) mirror to provide a clearer view.

oh course he makes more power and is modded but it also the car, no debate yeah hes going balls to the wall. and I was pushing mine as much as I could the car is stock basically. for almost dipping into the 8min mark in a stock 128i is impressive if you tell me.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
5 click for the ohlinlearning. toighest track in the world! ck brakes but with pagid RS19 pads, stock map, Downpipes and wagner intercooler.

completely understand man . lol we are all learning! toughest track in the world!
ill be there this Sunday on the 6th getting in some wet laps. I shipped my car back to the us but a friend and I rented a race car from rent a ring and will be doing some laps. its my last weekend in Germany. come out with us. the m flight crew will be there too some buddies of mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #21
gibbo21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
completely understand man . lol we are all learning! toughest track in the world!
ill be there this Sunday on the 6th getting in some wet laps. I shipped my car back to the us but a friend and I rented a race car from rent a ring and will be doing some laps. its my last weekend in Germany. come out with us. the m flight crew will be there too some buddies of mine.
Thanks for the invitation, I wish I could!
Wow you are crazy man! I thought you were from germany
Maybe i will return the first days of august. The nordschleife is like the most powerful drug in the world, you can not live without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Nice video and car! Pardon my ignorance as I've never been to the Ring, but is it common for folks not to wear helmets? I felt nervous watching that, such high speeds with no head protection?
Appreciate 0