BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
slickman
Best Made Winner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Cobb V3 tune and Meth question

Okay, I'm new to this meth thing. I have a Cobb tune stage 1 installed. I'm going to be changing that to stage 2 +FMIC after I get the FMIC, Cobb high flow catted down pipes, Beck mid pipe and Beck axle backs installed.

My question is, what would be the best meth kit to install? and what benefits can I expect knowing the mods above? My plan was not to go past a 50 / 50 mix and use the WW tank under the hood.. But What about fail safe for example?

Any valuable input would be great..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

I don't have the Cobb tune but I do have a lot of experience with meth set-ups. Meth adds little-to-nothing unless your tune is able to take advantage of higher octane. Does the stage 2+fmic take advantage of more than 93 octane? From what I can see on their website, stage 2+fmic is an OTS map that is optimized for 93 octane, so you won't benefit from having a whole lot more (like the 100+ that meth provides). What you need is a meth-specific map, which I think you can get custom with Cobb, but others will know better than I do what Cobb offers. As for meth kits, I run Burger's integrated system with my JB4, but for stand-alone kits Aquamist is highly regarded and should be researched before you make your decision. With the proper tune meth injection makes a big performance difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
I don't have the Cobb tune but I do have a lot of experience with meth set-ups. Meth adds little-to-nothing unless your tune is able to take advantage of higher octane. Does the stage 2+fmic take advantage of more than 93 octane? From what I can see on their website, stage 2+fmic is an OTS map that is optimized for 93 octane, so you won't benefit from having a whole lot more (like the 100+ that meth provides). What you need is a meth-specific map, which I think you can get custom with Cobb, but others will know better than I do what Cobb offers. As for meth kits, I run Burger's integrated system with my JB4, but for stand-alone kits Aquamist is highly regarded and should be researched before you make your decision. With the proper tune meth injection makes a big performance difference.
+1. PTF offers protunes and also offers the required controller (most people use hfs-4). Think they sell kits on their website too?
Howerton engineeering also have lots of good info on kits, nozzle sizes etc on their website
Appreciate 0