BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #89
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Thanks Sparoz, what do you recommend as a gentle wash? The paint protection guys gave me a bottle of car shampoo, bug remover, leather cleaner and stuff but don't know how good they are. Where can I order a high quality chamois and some microfibre clothes. And same goes for P21s and Mother, where can I get them cos Darwin doesn't really stock the greatest selection of peanuts, let alone car care products!

OT: Are these PZero Rosso, cos I'm expecting that to be about AU$1K delivered. I definetly won't get more than 2 from the shops here. I can get it fitted and aligned from work for free as well.
carcareproducts.com.au or waxit.com.au have a good selection. Otherwise supercheap stock Maguires which I found their microfibre cloths are excellent. The 3M which you should able to get from supermarkets are good but I found them a bit too small. Just remember to rip the tags off them before using. For a car wash, anything without a wax would be fine - Maguires Gold Class or NXT in the bulk is only about $25 from supercheap. There are more expensive options, but unless you are a detailing fanatic, I won't pay for more - yes they are sleeker, but you are paying a lot more for it with fraction of the benefit. As xsboost also mentioned chemguys got really good stuff and very reasonable prcie.

Poorboys have got good feedback too (rewax).

OT: They are PZero. not the Rosso but they are not much more expensive than the Rossos, so if you can get them for A1000 then that's the way to go. The PZero is the better tyre but they don't last as long. I liked the Rosso when they were on the 3er - make sure you pump them up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #90
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Good points, but not entirely accurate. Clay won't really take off your wax, a strong soap solution will though. Re-waxing on top of wax is usually beneficial. I learnt how to detail cars from a detailer friend of mine and he gets me to "top-up" the wax with a spray on carnubra wax I get in from the states. Only need to do this when drying the car every 2-3 washes though. I use an artificial sealant (poly-lack nano seal) every 6 months then put poorboys wax over the top every 3 months. The sealant lasts 6-12 months and the wax usually lasts around 3-4 months depending on how often you wash it and rain, etc. Generally if the water is beading off the paintwork, it's still alright.

For drying I use a microfibre waffle weave towel which works better than a chamois and doesn't swirl the paint. Hope this helps
How are they finding the Nanoseal compare to Zaino?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #91
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Here's a photo of mine. I saw a lot of your cars at the recent cruise, but unfortunately didn't get the chance to see who the drivers were!

This is about 2-3 months after nano-seal and natty's blue. I washed it the day before this photo and gave it a quick coat of spray on wax after drying.

Not sure sparoz mate, I've never tried Zaino but hear good things. Nano-seal was recommended to me...but it is difficult to buff off - so makes it a big, painful job!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #92
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

holy shit you've washed and waxed your 1er so much it looks like a 3 series
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #93
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I am 'planning' to do all the cars up this weekend - so will post photos. I still have no idea what I am doing with the AW car yet. May try some Zaino afterall - as long as your mate give me some discount off it - so he should since my last order.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #94
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I'm hijacking your forum baby!

I just saw an un-marked Golf GTI pull someone up on Coro Drive. It had real dark tints, so I couldn't see the person or the lights that were mounted inside it until they went off. Pri*ks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #95
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Thanks AussieRacer! Which foam gun do you use? Would it attach onto a Karcher or Bosch pressure washer. I have the option of getting either, and I can order the foam gun. As I mentioned, really love the idea of cleaning without touching the paint, as there is so much dirt, flies and muck up here and BSM, looks horrible if it's not gleaming!

What do you guys use on your rims to get rid of the dust? The detailer mentioned something called 101 or something, apparently the dirt falls away - sounded a bit too good to be true!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it. Love the cosseting feel of other fanatics!
Got my gun from a supplier in UK. Can't remember the exact name, but I do remember I had a false start with Clean Your Car, so don't waster your time with them... You specify the pressure cleaner you have and they fit the adaptor to match. I have a Bosch Pressure Washer, so I've got that fitment.

Regarding keeping wheels clean, so absolutely can not beat Armorall Wheel Protectant. A bitch to apply evenly, but IMHO even a bad application works better than special wheel waxes/sealants. I've tried a few and nothing matches the Armorall Wheel Protectant. I still use wheel wax to keep the wheels looking good.

For microfibre and other quality products that are easy to use at good prices, you can't go past chemguys.com.au. Products don't cost the earth, and work really well (a big step up from Meguiars type products without the extra $$s). Delivery is quick too. Huge +1 for them! You can spend $200-$300 getting a garage full of their products, or $200-$300 getting a handful of more exotic products that you'll struggle to notice the step up.
      11-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #96
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Thanks guys. The advice is much appreciated!

AussieRacer, I'll definitely look for a snow foam gun, thing sounds awesome! I like the sound of chemguys as well and being able to order online helps a lot, as I work till late and the shops are usually closed when I get out... I'll put an order for some stuff this weekend and pick up the Karcher sometime next week. What wheel wax do you use after the armourall? I'll definitely go get their protectant, after that endorsement!

Sparoz, the guys did do an amazing job prepping the paint, really impressed! I suppose working in the industry helps - the salesmen now show my car to customers to flog the paint protection pack!

If anyone in Darwin wants to get it down I can hook it up for you guys!

OT: Sparoz, which PZeros are you running? I really want the extra wet grip as it really pours here during the wet!

Also, I think the car looks so good in the rain, I slowed to a crawl by a window the other night just to check it out!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #97
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Photos coming. Christine has been washed with Mothers, and windows done with AutoGlym.

About to do doorjambs and full interior.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #98
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Taymaishu, how's AutoGlym? What do you do when cleaning the windows? Mine aren't as sparkly as I'd like!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #99
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Taymaishu, how's AutoGlym? What do you do when cleaning the windows? Mine aren't as sparkly as I'd like!
Got the free samples during the week. I used the AutoGlym Glass Polish. It's pretty good, i'm not sure what the protective qualities are, but it's easy apply/removal.

I have 14 or so microfibre towels. One for apply and one for removal on each layer of the car + some spare incase i drop once or two.

For cleaning the windows, it's the same. I zig-zag the polish directly on the windows, then swirl it in with a clean towel. Follow around the car. Once the whole car has had polish on the windows, i then remove it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #100
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks Taymaishu, sound good, about to put an order in for some goodies and 10 microfibre towels from chemguys.com.au.

Went and picked up a Karcher 2.91 from Bunnings last night for $268, tried for a bit on the walls and it's not really that powerful but should be fine for the car.

AussieRacer, any idea what brand your snow wash lance is?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #101
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. The advice is much appreciated!

AussieRacer, I'll definitely look for a snow foam gun, thing sounds awesome! I like the sound of chemguys as well and being able to order online helps a lot, as I work till late and the shops are usually closed when I get out... I'll put an order for some stuff this weekend and pick up the Karcher sometime next week. What wheel wax do you use after the armourall? I'll definitely go get their protectant, after that endorsement!

Sparoz, the guys did do an amazing job prepping the paint, really impressed! I suppose working in the industry helps - the salesmen now show my car to customers to flog the paint protection pack!

If anyone in Darwin wants to get it down I can hook it up for you guys!

OT: Sparoz, which PZeros are you running? I really want the extra wet grip as it really pours here during the wet!

Also, I think the car looks so good in the rain, I slowed to a crawl by a window the other night just to check it out!
OT: Just the "P.Zero" - if you go to their website it's there. It's the next down from their Corsa range: The PZs goes from - Corsa, PZero (full stop), Rosso, and Nero. They sort of behave differently so it's not exactly a ranking, Corsa is the legal slicks so you won't have wet grip. I am not sure how P.Zero and P.Zero Rosso goes compare with wet grip, as it was a while now since I had my 318i. I can tell you they had plenty in the recent down pour on our BMW Club drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #102
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Great thread. Thank for sharing all ur experiences guys.

For those ppl like me who brought paint protection when they brought the car, does anyone know what is actually applied to the car? Will polishing it remove the paint protection?

Just want to make sure that im not going to throw out the money i spend on triple pack when i start going mental over applying all these goodies on to the car.

Thx guys
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #103
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchuang33 View Post
Great thread. Thank for sharing all ur experiences guys.

For those ppl like me who brought paint protection when they brought the car, does anyone know what is actually applied to the car? Will polishing it remove the paint protection?

Just want to make sure that im not going to throw out the money i spend on triple pack when i start going mental over applying all these goodies on to the car.

Thx guys
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5671786

Good link for you on the topic.

Basically, from what i've seen and heard from my dealer, Paint protection is useless if you detail your car. It's mainly aimed at people that buy ArmorAll bug & tar remover and give the car a 'once-over' every month with a sponge.

It was suggested to me that I don't take it! I'm absolutely fanatical about the exterior cleanliness of Christine - so much so that Joe and i proved our obsessions on the Southern Highlands day!

If you're going to detail once a month and wash once a fortnight/week, then don't even bother. If you don't detail at all and only give it a wash every so often it may be worth it. If you use machine washes or the mexican Crystal Car Wash, then i'd suggest to get it to help protect swirl marks, especially if it's a dark car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #104
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

It really is a great thread, wealth of knowledge here and helps newbies like me, from
making too many blunders on our own!

OT: Thanks Sparoz, really appreciate all the info. Split up between the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s and the PZero. Just posting this on the tire thread as well to get some feedback and not mess this thread up too much!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #105
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
It really is a great thread, wealth of knowledge here and helps newbies like me, from
making too many blunders on our own!

OT: Thanks Sparoz, really appreciate all the info. Split up between the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s and the PZero. Just posting this on the tire thread as well to get some feedback and not mess this thread up too much!
We all learn from eachother - i'd be lost without this forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #106
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
We all learn from eachother - i'd be lost without this forum!
+1!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #107
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Hey guys, just about to pull the trigger on this order from
chemguys. Just wanted to check with you all if this is enough, did I go overboard, anything I missed, don't need etc.

1 x Ultra-Fine 100% MICROFIBER TOWELS PINK 38cm x 38cm (12 pack) - $18.95

1 x Glass & Window Waffle Weave -Streak Free Towel 45cm x 75cm (1 towel) - $10.95

1 x ELITE DELUXE SUPER PREMIUM MICROBIFER MICRO-BANDED 8.75mm THICK SUPRA MICROFIBER TOWEL 40cm x 60cm (3 PACK) - $18.95

2 x HUGE SUV SIZE FAST DRY WAFFLE WEAVE Microfiber Drying Towel 66cm x 89cm (1 towel) - $37.90

1 x Citrus Wash & Gloss Synthetic Citrus Based Hyper-Wash+GLOSS (No-More Spots) (470 ml) - $10.95

1 x Sprayer Bottle (470 ml) includes trigger - $2.50

1 x greenCLEAN TOTAL INTERIOR / EXTERIOR QUICK ALL SURFACE CLEANER CONCENTRATE (470 ml) - $9.95

1 x Maxi-Suds ~SUPER SUDS SHAMPOO-Superior Surface Shampoo (470 ml) - $9.95

1 x WHEEL AND RIM CLEANER-Premium Blue (470 ml) - $10.95

1 x BLACK FOREVER TRIM & TIRE,SHINE & PROTECT THAT KEEPS BLACK PARTS BLACK for MONTHS (470 ml) - $15.95

1 x Pure Leather Conditioner Restore and Protects LOOK FEEL AND SMELL OF LEATHER(470 ml) - $17.95

Order Total - $195 including shipping

Also, does anyone have any coupon codes, they'd like to share??

Thanks so much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #108
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Hey guys, just about to pull the trigger on this order from
chemguys. Just wanted to check with you all if this is enough, did I go overboard, anything I missed, don't need etc.

1 x Ultra-Fine 100% MICROFIBER TOWELS PINK 38cm x 38cm (12 pack) - $18.95

1 x Glass & Window Waffle Weave -Streak Free Towel 45cm x 75cm (1 towel) - $10.95

1 x ELITE DELUXE SUPER PREMIUM MICROBIFER MICRO-BANDED 8.75mm THICK SUPRA MICROFIBER TOWEL 40cm x 60cm (3 PACK) - $18.95

2 x HUGE SUV SIZE FAST DRY WAFFLE WEAVE Microfiber Drying Towel 66cm x 89cm (1 towel) - $37.90

1 x Citrus Wash & Gloss Synthetic Citrus Based Hyper-Wash+GLOSS (No-More Spots) (470 ml) - $10.95

1 x Sprayer Bottle (470 ml) includes trigger - $2.50

1 x greenCLEAN TOTAL INTERIOR / EXTERIOR QUICK ALL SURFACE CLEANER CONCENTRATE (470 ml) - $9.95

1 x Maxi-Suds ~SUPER SUDS SHAMPOO-Superior Surface Shampoo (470 ml) - $9.95

1 x WHEEL AND RIM CLEANER-Premium Blue (470 ml) - $10.95

1 x BLACK FOREVER TRIM & TIRE,SHINE & PROTECT THAT KEEPS BLACK PARTS BLACK for MONTHS (470 ml) - $15.95

1 x Pure Leather Conditioner Restore and Protects LOOK FEEL AND SMELL OF LEATHER(470 ml) - $17.95

Order Total - $195 including shipping

Also, does anyone have any coupon codes, they'd like to share??

Thanks so much in advance.
Holy mackerel!

But nice choices. Tbh, I would buy the microfibres in bulk from AutoBarn, they're relatively well priced (usually $20 or so for a 4-pack). I usually need around 6-8 towels for once wash and detail.

Citrus wash was a good choice
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #109
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Holy mackerel!

But nice choices. Tbh, I would buy the microfibres in bulk from AutoBarn, they're relatively well priced (usually $20 or so for a 4-pack). I usually need around 6-8 towels for once wash and detail.

Citrus wash was a good choice
Thanks! yeah I just thought better get some
extra rather than have too little during a wash.

With the towels, the little pink ones are really cheap, 12 for $19! The other ones are still 3 for $20, and if Chemical Guys are half as good as this forum suggests, I'm more than willing to pay a premium!

I like the idea of the citrus wash, but I've got paint protection on my car and not sure how the + GLOSS bit will work out! So I got the MaxiSuds as well just to see how they compare.

Hopefully Ameera can start looking as good as Christine!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #110
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Thanks! yeah I just thought better get some
extra rather than have too little during a wash.

With the towels, the little pink ones are really cheap, 12 for $19! The other ones are still 3 for $20, and if Chemical Guys are half as good as this forum suggests, I'm more than willing to pay a premium!

I like the idea of the citrus wash, but I've got paint protection on my car and not sure how the + GLOSS bit will work out! So I got the MaxiSuds as well just to see how they compare.

Hopefully Ameera can start looking as good as Christine!
Well Christine's looking good! I'm covering her during the week now to make sure that brake dust settles down.

I'll be washing / glazing / waxing yet again this weekend - going to get a clay bay on her.... ERGH!
Appreciate 0