BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Don't you think wax would offer more protection than the synthetics? (FMJ, etc)
No. I don't think any wax can touch almost any synthetic. I forget the details, but carnauba melts at something like 165 degrees, which a car left in the sun can easily get to on a sunny day. I used to used to use Klasse AIO and SG with P21s over them, but I finally realized that P21s lasts about a month in the hotter months. That just isn't worth the trouble, in my opinion. I trust synthetics to provide a much more durable level of protection. I do think that Zaino is very sensitive to bird droppings, and in the first few days, before it fully cures, it's also necessary to avoid water, as I've had it water spot badly.

I'd consider your water too, if you have hard water, it's possible that minerals are causing some or all of your swirling. If you can get your finish to your level of satisfaction with polishes, yet washing and drying is causing rapid swirling, than try a few new things, it could be the sheepskin, which I find trap too much sediment, or it could be your drying towels, or most likely, it could also be your water. Do you use dirt traps in both wash buckets?

Just remember that with a solid color, there's no where for swirls to hide. I'm always surprised at how many swirls some "professionally" detailed metallic colored cars have, especially if you can see them in parking garage lighting. It's just harder for the casual observer to notice swirls in metallic finishes than it is with solid finishes.

Dust is going to happen, I haven't found a product that really seems to help. Zaino Z6 and Z8 seem to help for a few minutes, but don't really change things, and carnauba attracts dust since it's formulated with oils to make it spreadable. Just driving a car creates static electricity which attracts dust, it's pretty much a lost cause.

Good luck, you'll find the right combination. Or you'll freak out and just buy silver next time!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #24
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post

Good luck, you'll find the right combination. Or you'll freak out and just buy silver next time!
Yes, this will certainly be the case

Thanks for the advice!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #25
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

Now I am more appreciate the BSM and the coral Boston leather..
I have no garage and only using meguiare's NXT 2.0 and that sparkling paint really hides the swirl and always looks shiny. And bonus part is the Boston leather. They don't really heats up compare to leatherette.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #26
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

After washing my car every week, I noticed the swirls were caused by the MF towel and not the wash mitten.

So, I bought a california blade to get the water off the car and used the same MF towels minimally to dry the remaining areas. Zaino Z5'ed it and the swirls are gone.
      04-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #27
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I checked my car in the sunlight yesterday. I could not notice swirls in the paint, and I looked very closely. From 3 feet away, you can not see anything at all. There are some light swirl marks on the trunk lid and spoiler, which is consistantly the case. That seems to be the hardest area to keep scratch and swirl free.

Now that it has warmed up, I shall be treating the car again with Zaino Z5, Z2. Z6 and CS - for some of the marked areas around the trunk lid and spoiler I will also use Mothers scratch and swirl remover. Two coats of Z5, with Z6 in between followed by two coats of Z2 with Z6 and CS should give me the results I am looking for.

As far as using electron microsopes, and gamma ray tubes - that is not for me. If my car looks shiny and swirl free in the normal light of day, I consider it a success. I wash it three or 4 times per week with a Simoniz Microfiber wash mitt and Simoniz Carnuba Gel. I use the no bucket method, with a cold water spray, then applying the caruba gel right on to the clean pre soaked wash mitt. I start from the top of the car in long strokes, avoiding any circular motion to wash the car. Then the top surfaces (hood and trunk), then the sides, followed by front and rear bumpers - then the wheels. A quick dry with a couple of 100% cotton towels follows. Start to finish - less than 15 minutes.

Even after several months since the last Zaino treatment - I can honestly say I do not see swirls predominant in my Jet Black paint. At least not with the naked eye, and under normal outside lighting conditions. I must be lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

^ 3 to 4 times per week!!!!!!!!??
      04-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #29
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Yeah, what a slacker, eh?

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #30
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I checked my car in the sunlight yesterday. I could not notice swirls in the paint, and I looked very closely. From 3 feet away, you can not see anything at all. There are some light swirl marks on the trunk lid and spoiler, which is consistantly the case. That seems to be the hardest area to keep scratch and swirl free.

Now that it has warmed up, I shall be treating the car again with Zaino Z5, Z2. Z6 and CS - for some of the marked areas around the trunk lid and spoiler I will also use Mothers scratch and swirl remover. Two coats of Z5, with Z6 in between followed by two coats of Z2 with Z6 and CS should give me the results I am looking for.

As far as using electron microsopes, and gamma ray tubes - that is not for me. If my car looks shiny and swirl free in the normal light of day, I consider it a success. I wash it three or 4 times per week with a Simoniz Microfiber wash mitt and Simoniz Carnuba Gel. I use the no bucket method, with a cold water spray, then applying the caruba gel right on to the clean pre soaked wash mitt. I start from the top of the car in long strokes, avoiding any circular motion to wash the car. Then the top surfaces (hood and trunk), then the sides, followed by front and rear bumpers - then the wheels. A quick dry with a couple of 100% cotton towels follows. Start to finish - less than 15 minutes.

Even after several months since the last Zaino treatment - I can honestly say I do not see swirls predominant in my Jet Black paint. At least not with the naked eye, and under normal outside lighting conditions. I must be lucky.
My car looks perfect from 3 feet away too. In the shade, looks perfect.

Point is, if there are swirl marks on your trunk then there are swirl marks in the rest of your paint. Mine aren't scratches or anything that deep, just very light swirls that you can see when the sun is shining on the car. That's my only point. As I stated, you can't see them much, but they are there. If you're washing your car with the no bucket method 3 to 4 times a week there's no way that swirls wouldn't be introduced to the paint. I'm going so far as to barely touch the paint with the wash mitt that's been doubly rinsed off after each panel and they're coming back.

Oh well, I guess it's just something I'll have to live with during my ownership of the 1er.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #31
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I loved my Jet Black bimmer when I first got it, but it became too much of a pain to keep clean. I just gave up about a year ago. I still enjoy my waterspotted and dirty bimmer just as much though. I'm very OCD, and it just got to a point were it just wasn't worth putting 4 hours into a car to make it look good for a day...hence my silver car that I'm now waiting on.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #32
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

I don't wash mine...the dirt makes me think I've been on a long trip and not stuck in my office every day.
      04-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #33
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Yes - during the winter - over the summer more like 4 - 5 times per week. A clean car is much easier to wash, than a dirty car. As mentioned before, with Zaino protection - it takes very little effort, as it is like rinsing a teflon pan. Washing frequently helps remove deposits and sediments that will over time work on the paint and cause damage and deterioration.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #34
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

My car is garaged and I wash it just about every time I drive it, two bucket, top end products and all that and there are still swirls! Luckily you can't really see the swirls in the sun but in my shop under the lights that are clear to see. In fact my Oxford Green 1995 E34 msport, looks better than the 135 under the same lights. However I still do not regret buying JB as others have said I knew what I was getting myself into, but the paint is much worse than I expected.
      04-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #35
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsthechuck View Post
My car is garaged and I wash it just about every time I drive it, two bucket, top end products and all that and there are still swirls!
You have too much time, too much energy, or don't drive enough

I can say it over and over again... get a buffer. Your swirls will be gone and it'll look like it just came from the showroom... well, for a while at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #36
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I can say it over and over again... get a buffer. Your swirls will be gone and it'll look like it just came from the showroom... well, for a while at least.
I have a Flex I have a Flex I have a Flex

Yes, it looks great after you hit it with SIP and 85rd.......then the swirls come right back after 3 hours of work.....

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #37
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I almost went with the Flex, but settled for the Meguiars g110 cause it was cheaper. Nice choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #38
Dr_Jones
Major
Rep
Drives:

your car was immaculate at cars and coffee...i even dropped to a knee and looked at the 'gunwale' with the sun reflecting from all angles...i was really curious how perfect a polished car would be. It didnt disappoint.

Stinks that it didnt last...

Take solace in the fact that swirls dont effect the way the car drives...this helps me sleep better at night

Quote:

Yes, it looks great after you hit it with SIP and 85rd.......then the swirls come right back after 3 hours of work.....

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #39
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I almost went with the Flex, but settled for the Meguiars g110 cause it was cheaper. Nice choice.
I had the Griots, and it worked pretty well. I ended up selling it for $75 and bought the Flex. Let me tell you, there's a night and day difference. If you buff fairly often, get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jones View Post
your car was immaculate at cars and coffee...i even dropped to a knee and looked at the 'gunwale' with the sun reflecting from all angles...i was really curious how perfect a polished car would be. It didnt disappoint.

Stinks that it didnt last...

Take solace in the fact that swirls dont effect the way the car drives...this helps me sleep better at night
Thanks Phil. To be honest with you, there were swirls in my paint even then. I guess they weren't that evident that day, good to know!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
BIMMER//DRIMMER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 06

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
love the black!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #41
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I am wondering why you guys are using SIP right off the bat? Isn't that a bit too aggressive?

That being said I only bought "Intensive Polish" as I didn't see a need to be that aggressive with paint that isn't badly damaged by years of neglect.
      04-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #42
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
My car looks perfect from 3 feet away too. In the shade, looks perfect.
Even with BSM, there are a few swirls that I can see in full sun at 3 feet away, but...I'm almost never 3 feet away from my car.

I'm either 100 yds away looking out of my office window at my beautiful 1er, or making a mad dash to get in it, or ... I'm driving!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #43
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I am wondering why you guys are using SIP right off the bat? Isn't that a bit too aggressive?

That being said I only bought "Intensive Polish" as I didn't see a need to be that aggressive with paint that isn't badly damaged by years of neglect.
I started with 85rd and it didn't touch some of the "dealer installed swirl marks" that I had to deal with. Interestingly enough, they didn't buff it at delivery, simply washed it, and this made a mess of the paint (I didn't trust them to buff it).

SIP was necessary to get most of the scratches out, and I finished with 85rd. It looked fantastic!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #44
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
I started with 85rd and it didn't touch some of the "dealer installed swirl marks" that I had to deal with. Interestingly enough, they didn't buff it at delivery, simply washed it, and this made a mess of the paint (I didn't trust them to buff it).

SIP was necessary to get most of the scratches out, and I finished with 85rd. It looked fantastic!
I understand that you used SIP to remove the swirls and such but did you try IP first or did you just have SIP on hand? I understand that you used 85rd, which I have as well, but that is a finishing polish, hence the reason it didn't touch the bad swirls.

I only ask because I come from the school where the least abrasive polish is to be used if it does the job. I not, then you step it up to the more abrasive polishes.