BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #23
Nubzub
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Mmm.. Yeh Mmms.

M owners prefer non-tainting of their badge - that's how things go and is common on forums worldwide. Girls will do the same about other girls holding fake LV bags etc.

But it is a pity BMW went down that path of diluting the "M"arketing badge. At least Mercedes didn't have the gall to create sub-AMG line with AMG badges. Even on the roads, there seems to be more M badges on non-M cars vs AMG badges on non-AMG cars.

Thing is, aside from the M-performance cars, other cars with various M-sport kits will have M signage on the actual part (rims, steering wheel etc) - but not the actual M badge on the boot of the car which makes the diff between an actual M car vs. other cars who have taken on some M-tuning. The main M boot badge does not come with it otherwise my friends X3 who has had the full factory M-sport kit would have the M badge on his boot too.

But to top this, last Sunday was having dinner in Hawthorn, just along Glenferrie road.
Lo and behold, first up was a white c-class with the complete C63 bodykit, wheels and AMG badging - I am talking identical kit to the c63, not just the optional AMG bodykit. Points that gave it away? - blacked out roof (c63 has sunroof) and dual exhausts rather than quaddies.

Anyway, marvelling at this car, we walked two cars down and the same treatment was given to a 335i. Complete M3 bodykit, wheels including the bonnet bulge and various vents and M3 badging. Only the dual exhausts remained intact.

Now those are the ones that really need to be shamed..... sorry if they belong to anyone here, but seriously.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #24
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

I understand peoples frustration to an extent. I think the new "M135i" is a joke because its not a full on M CAR so to speak. Isnt the m3 engine made in the same part of the factory as the F1 motors or some shit. You cant tell me the n55 is aswell.. What will happen when the 2014 m3 is a modified n55.. HAVOC!

Personally i'd never do it because my 135 simply isn't an M car (would love a 1m!!!!). BUT Who cares if someone does it each to their own. Laugh at a distance, and tell yourself you're better than them for not doing it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #25
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
So it may be a bit different if he put an actual "1M" badge or a "M3" badge when its not..
I would like to highlight your original post above. There are no two ways interpreting it. So, not sure why you try to shift your argument to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evobda2 View Post
I think your missing the point here.. the badge doesn't distinguish the 1M from the others. It simply has an M badge on the back to represent the M tuning it has. The 1M obviously having quiet a bit of it.
Not that im saying that guy has M tuning or whatever. Its obviously not a 1M. But then i dont think he's trying to say it is.

Like i said even my lowly 120D M-sport has the "M" badge scattered everywhere from factory. It doesnt mean its trying to be anything it isn't, or is a fake? But obviously the 1M or M3 etc aren't the only cars now that have the exclusive M badge everywhere. BMW simply doesn't do it like that anymore.

At the end of the day people are always going do stuff like this for whatever reasons. Is it really worth worrying about to the point you post their car and rego number on a public forum? I dont think so.
A single M badge on the right hand side of the boot lid, like the 1M, M Roaster and M Coupe, or M1, M3, M5, M6, X5M, and X6M is the model is insignia of a M car. It is a model designation as opposed to the use of the "little ///M badges" on series production cars which BMW has done since the 1970s.

There is also a distinction between a M car and a M-tuned car and you should find out a little bit more before your ignorant post. BMW M is a separate manufacturer to BMW AG. The closest entity that mirrors BMW M is Alpina which again unlike "tuners", they are also a manufacturer in their own right.

Recently the use of ///M135i etc as an insignia for an M tuned car probably disappoints many enthusiast but BMW haven't used this nomenclature for a M car for years.

Ie, Alpine's argument - a better analogy is that changing the model designation to a ///M is like having your 120D and rebadge to a 130i, or worst still a 320i to a Alpina B3S. It doesn't matter what mods you put in, or if it is "faster" than a M car, it still doesn't make it a M car, and having a model designation of a M car is just wrong.

Now, I don't care if someone does it. It is their car and not mine and they can do whatever they want. All I want to is to point out that your facts are incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubzub View Post
M owners prefer non-tainting of their badge - that's how things go and is common on forums worldwide. Girls will do the same about other girls holding fake LV bags etc.

But it is a pity BMW went down that path of diluting the "M"arketing badge. At least Mercedes didn't have the gall to create sub-AMG line with AMG badges. Even on the roads, there seems to be more M badges on non-M cars vs AMG badges on non-AMG cars.

Thing is, aside from the M-performance cars, other cars with various M-sport kits will have M signage on the actual part (rims, steering wheel etc) - but not the actual M badge on the boot of the car which makes the diff between an actual M car vs. other cars who have taken on some M-tuning. The main M boot badge does not come with it otherwise my friends X3 who has had the full factory M-sport kit would have the M badge on his boot too.

But to top this, last Sunday was having dinner in Hawthorn, just along Glenferrie road.
Lo and behold, first up was a white c-class with the complete C63 bodykit, wheels and AMG badging - I am talking identical kit to the c63, not just the optional AMG bodykit. Points that gave it away? - blacked out roof (c63 has sunroof) and dual exhausts rather than quaddies.

Anyway, marvelling at this car, we walked two cars down and the same treatment was given to a 335i. Complete M3 bodykit, wheels including the bonnet bulge and various vents and M3 badging. Only the dual exhausts remained intact.

Now those are the ones that really need to be shamed..... sorry if they belong to anyone here, but seriously.
You will find Mercedes has been using AMG as much as BMW. I honestly don't think many people actually put a ///M on their boot lid, nor girls using fake LVs as pretenders. That comes back to my earlier post - well, it is wrong, but it probably doesn't matter.

If you like the look, put it there. If you worship ///M but can't afford one, put it there. If you like the look and compartments found in a fake LV bag, get it!

If you put a ///M because you want to pretend you have a ///M or buying a LV because you want people to think you own one - go and see a doctor.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
I understand peoples frustration to an extent. I think the new "M135i" is a joke because its not a full on M CAR so to speak. Isnt the m3 engine made in the same part of the factory as the F1 motors or some shit. You cant tell me the n55 is aswell.. What will happen when the 2014 m3 is a modified n55.. HAVOC!

Personally i'd never do it because my 135 simply isn't an M car (would love a 1m!!!!). BUT Who cares if someone does it each to their own. Laugh at a distance, and tell yourself you're better than them for not doing it
The use of M135i is sort of frustrating for the true enthusiast because this nomenclature is used in M535i which is a M car whilst M135i is a M-tuned car.

All S engines were built in Garching and transport to the series factory for production. I don't know if this is the case for S63, or the S55(?). Throughout history BMW M has "modified" engines in various vehicles anyway, so what they are doing to the next M3 or what they have done to the S63 is not new. For example, the S54 in the E46 M3 was based on the M54. The 1M is interesting as it remains the only M car that has a series production engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

I can't afford the 1M. But i have a 135i "///M" SPORT to put a smile on my face every day!

With or without the badge i love it.

If you want to put a badge on your 135i. Do it... And you'll probably get ridiculed (on this forum which you probably don't even visit).... You will probably be none the wiser, or aware for that matter that your car is being laughed at by 17 people on the Australian 1addicts forum.

Everyone to their own.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Pretty sure M stands for Magic, so only factory Magic cars are allowed badges. Otherwise it's like putting a 'Magic Happens' sticker on your car, we all know its not as fast as the real Magic ones...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #30
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Its fake. He's a loser. No excuses. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #31
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Came out of the shops yesterday and there was a guy in the car space 2 places down sitting with the car running which was odd because the car park was empty and it was nearly 5pm. When he realized the 135i was my car he approached me and asked if it was a "135i or 1M". I told him it's a 135i and he said he couldn't tell which model it was and that it looked great. He seemed like a genuine enthusiast as he obviously knew about the 135i and 1M (more often than not people ask me if my car is an M3 or the new M3 - usually casual fans) and proceeded to ask why mods how much power etc. I'm a proud 135i owner and if someone asks me what it is I tell them what it is. I couldn't care less if someone else puts an M badge on their car, usually they are fans of the M or want to mislead most people into thinking its an M. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's your car and do as you please that's what modding is all about. I prefer the cleaness of the debadge look personally. If I was a 1M owner id probably feel more passionate about it but it really doesn't phase me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #32
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Spotted!

Guys be jealous! I just spotted the new M135i in COUPE FORM!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
Guys be jealous! I just spotted the new M135i in COUPE FORM!!!

I, believe it or not, am ok with that one. The 135i is still there so nobodies trying to pretend its an ///M car, just adding a personal touch. Take off the 135i and replace it, try hard fake.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #34
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
I, believe it or not, am ok with that one. The 135i is still there so nobodies trying to pretend its an ///M car, just adding a personal touch. Take off the 135i and replace it, try hard fake.
However the problem now is that there is a legitimate M135i model. So effectively he has rebadged the car as something else. (OK sure the badge on this guys car has probably been on since before the M135i hatch was announced, but still you get the point)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #35
Broady
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i

Who cares if he's faking it or not? It looks ugly.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #36
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Isn't the m135 the same as the old msport kit, just a bit stiffer suspension and some "performance" trim?

I do think a fairy dies every time someone says "performance handbrake" out loud
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
Shaunski
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1 Series M Coupe (VO)

I went the opposite direction and took my M off. Partly in fear of a douchebag taking a flathead screw driver to it and partly due to the Q factor. It's a bright orange i-dunno-what-the-heck-that-was-but-it-blew-past-me-like-I-was-parked-on-the-side-of-the-road
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #38
Shaunski
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I also removed mine last night. Much cleaner look IMO
I did replace it with an "illest" sticker to "westie" it up a bit, might give me a bit more cred (lol i hope)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #39
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I was filling up with petrol the other day and a guy in an e92 325 was filling up in front of me with badges removed and replaced with an M///.

I walked past and said "love your m3", and he just gave me the thumbs up ....then i said..."Looks really authentic"...with quite strong tone of sarcasm. He didn't know where to look after that. I don't get it at all. No shame in a 325, why try and pass it off as something its not?
      08-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #40
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I was filling up with petrol the other day and a guy in an e92 325 was filling up in front of me with badges removed and replaced with an M///.

I walked past and said "love your m3", and he just gave me the thumbs up ....then i said..."Looks really authentic"...with quite strong tone of sarcasm. He didn't know where to look after that. I don't get it at all. No shame in a 325, why try and pass it off as something its not?
Should have gave him one of these...

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
Tj303
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

How about this for a bad ass M3? I think it belongs to one of the guys at the local Payless Tyres...
Attached Images

08-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #42
Shaunski
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post

How'd you figure it was a 325? Dual tailpipes on one side?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #43
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yep