BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #111
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
When slowing down towards walking pace in 1st gear (for example cruising in a parking lot on the lookout for a spot), you can release all pedals without the risk of stalling the engine despite still being in first gear (instead of neutral) and not pushing the clutch. In most cars with manual transmission revs will continue to decrease until the point of engine stall, which is avoided by timely pushing the clutch or putting the gear in neutral.

Not so with the 1M: apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal.

Discovered this because I wanted to find out at what rpm the 1M engine would stall in first gear. To my suprise it did not stall. So I circled a couple of tours in a parking lot, letting it slow down on the straights to the automatic cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph. It is as if you set cruise control at that low speed (which is impossible because inactive under 20mph or 30kph). I guess it only works on flat surfaces in 1st gear (did not test how it reacts on uphill slopes or in 2nd gear).

Try it if you don't believe me.
I don't think that is necessarily a feature specifically put in by BMW. Nearly all manual transmission cars can do this in 1st gear. Cars with more torque off-idle can do it in higher gears as well.
      05-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #112
Sheil
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Yes, did this with my very first car, a 97 Nissan Sentra SE. Not exactly a stallion with its 115hp! I could also peel out in 4th gear! That car took a beating in Santa Rosa, CA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I don't think that is necessarily a feature specifically put in by BMW. Nearly all manual transmission cars can do this in 1st gear. Cars with more torque off-idle can do it in higher gears as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #113
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
When slowing down towards walking pace in 1st gear (for example cruising in a parking lot on the lookout for a spot), you can release all pedals without the risk of stalling the engine despite still being in first gear (instead of neutral) and not pushing the clutch. In most cars with manual transmission revs will continue to decrease until the point of engine stall, which is avoided by timely pushing the clutch or putting the gear in neutral.

Not so with the 1M: apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal.

Discovered this because I wanted to find out at what rpm the 1M engine would stall in first gear. To my suprise it did not stall. So I circled a couple of tours in a parking lot, letting it slow down on the straights to the automatic cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph. It is as if you set cruise control at that low speed (which is impossible because inactive under 20mph or 30kph). I guess it only works on flat surfaces in 1st gear (did not test how it reacts on uphill slopes or in 2nd gear).

Yep, have found this most useful in my office carpark which has 5000 speedbumps. Like the exhaust notes at this low rev too.

Great initiative btw, this thread
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #114
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:

That is not a 1M gem.
That's how it is with all BMW I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #115
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Boot lock button in the glove box. Only recently noticed this when I was a passenger in my own car. Must be part of the Kidnapper Pack.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #116
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
That is not a 1M gem.
That's how it is with all BMW I've owned.
The thing I've found with this thread and this 1M forum general is ... there's always someone wants the last word, someone who thinks he is more knowledgeable or more correct, someone who just want to put somebody else down etc etc.

Who gives a toss how many bimmers we have owned or driven or whether a simple little feature have existed for 100 years or found in 50 other cars, this is Artemis saying he's enjoying his 1M for these features.

That's all it matters ffs.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #117
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
The thing I've found with this thread and this 1M forum general is ... there's always someone wants the last word, someone who thinks he is more knowledgeable or more correct, someone who just want to put somebody else down etc etc.

Who gives a toss how many bimmers we have owned or driven or whether a simple little feature have existed for 100 years or found in 50 other cars, this is Artemis saying he's enjoying his 1M for these features.

And that's how some of us learn it, like I did, despite the fact that I owned BMWs before. So it is useful anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:57 AM   #118
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I guess it only works on flat surfaces in 1st gear (did not test how it reacts on uphill slopes or in 2nd gear).
Tested. Works also on bumps and uphill slopes.

The fact that I did not know despite more than 20 years of driving manuals says something about caring for the car: avoiding to stall the engine. So, I guess I pushed the clutch thousands of times while it was unnecessary (especially queuing in traffic, parking lots, etc.). When you learn to drive a car it's one of the things they won't tell you. Stalling the engine is a bit embarrassing.

I ain't the only one who was not aware, for sure.
      06-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #119
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Tested. Works also on bumps and uphill slopes.

The fact that I did not know despite more than 20 years of driving manuals says something about caring for the car: avoiding to stall the engine. So, I guess I pushed the clutch thousands of times while it was unnecessary (especially queuing in traffic, parking lots, etc.). When you learn to drive a car it's one of the things they won't tell you. Stalling the engine is a bit embarrassing.

Does it work in reverse try it out in a number of situations (up a hill, over speed bumps, around a roundabout etc)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #120
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Does it work in reverse try it out in a number of situations (up a hill, over speed bumps, around a roundabout etc)
Nah, won't try. Fear of unexpected side-effects.

Name:  BatmanFish_1M.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  204.5 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 09-25-2012 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Attachment ;)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #121
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

we don't want something like that happening......
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #122
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Has nothing to do with having the last word. Just correcting/adding information. Why so defensive?
Go make a new thread to tell the world how much you enjoy your new bimmer. Who gives a toss?
If that was the case, the title is misleading at best.
You want me to pollute this thread with every single little thing I find amusing in my bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #123
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK

Go make a new thread to tell the world how much you enjoy your new bimmer. Who gives a toss?
You want me to pollute this thread with every single little thing I find amusing in my bimmer?
I don't think that's the intent of the OP.
: tried but don't understand your words in the context of what I have said.

Nonetheless just chill, wasn't and never intended to be a personal attack on you mate. Reading the thread, I used the word 'we' and not 'you'. My bad if it rubbed the wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #124
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
: tried but don't understand your words in the context of what I have said.

Nonetheless just chill, wasn't and never intended to be a personal attack on you mate. Reading the thread, I used the word 'we' and not 'you'. My bad if it rubbed the wrong way.
OK. You have the last words.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #125
1Marc
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Hi all,

I live in Houston and find the Parked Car vent one of the coolest hidden gems. It circulates the air in the car for 30 mins to help keep the interior cooler. This might be on other models, not sure as this is my first Bimmer. Here is a quick reference on how to get to it and set it with the manual page numbers.

Menu
Settings
Climate
Set the time you estimate being back at the car and cheek the box
Check activate parked car vent
Pages 109-110 in US manual.

Marc
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #126
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Marc View Post
Hi all,

I live in Houston and find the Parked Car vent one of the coolest hidden gems. It circulates the air in the car for 30 mins to help keep the interior cooler. This might be on other models, not sure as this is my first Bimmer. Here is a quick reference on how to get to it and set it with the manual page numbers.

Menu
Settings
Climate

Marc
Cool (in both senses of the word!). Do you have any idea how you can make it in cars without navigation and i-drive? Or can you make it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #127
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Great find mate.. I have owned beemers for tha past 25 odd years and never noticed either..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #128
1Marc
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Cool (in both senses of the word!). Do you have any idea how you can make it in cars without navigation and i-drive? Or can you make it?
To the best of my knowledge and what I can find in the manual this function needs to be accessed by i-drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #129
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi all,

Menu
Settings
Climate

Marc

I seen that in settings and never got about to reading what it all meant, and then forgot about it, so thanks, no need to read the manual, but saying that I live in the UK so I don't think I will ever require that function lol but good to know......
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #130
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I live in Houston and find the Parked Car vent one of the coolest hidden gems. It circulates the air in the car for 30 mins to help keep the interior cooler. This might be on other models, not sure as this is my first Bimmer.
When I took delivery of my 1M the dealership showed me that option too, but told me to be cautious with the use of it, because it inevitably drains the battery (engine is shut down, so no recharging). Personally I never used it.
      06-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #131
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
[...] apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal. [...]
Here's the constant speed indicated by the OBC during cruising without using pedals:
  • 1st gear cruising = 5mph or 9kph (appropriate speed for slow queuing in rush hour traffic);
  • 2nd gear cruising = 9mph or 15kph (appropriate speed for checking out available parking spots);
  • 3nd gear cruising = 13mph or 21kph (do mind that the engine does not like this);
  • 4th-5th-6th gear cruising = nah, won't try that.
And to negotiate a sharp corner during the cruising, don't brake but just push the clutch + release after the corner to let the cruising automatically resume (+ some acceleration if things go to slow to your liking).
      09-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #132
Artemis
Rep

Triangle storage

What some do (keep):

Name:  TriangleStorage1.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  139.6 KB
Name:  TriangleStorage2.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  149.3 KB