BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Good tire shop?

Does anyone know of a good tire replacement shop somewhere between Cambridge/Somerville and Waltham?

I got a flat tire on one of the fronts on 93 south last night.. the sidewall is all messed up, so unfortunately patching it is out.

The dealership wants $600 to replace it, even though the tire itself is ~$275 at tire rack. (Now I guess I know why they call it the stealership.)

I've called a couple places near my work and it seems like I can get it for ~$300... but does anyone know of somewhere particularly good/cheap/friendly?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey people.. so following up here, hoping that nobody else has to go through this:

Hogan Tire in Waltham, MA is not good. Nobody had the RE050As in stock, so I was looking at a wait no matter where I bought a tire. Hogan said they could have it in Monday when I ordered on Friday, and that they'd call me when it came in. With no calls, I called them Monday afternoon and the guy tells me "oh, well, it's UPS, so I don't really know. Probably tomorrow." I ask if he can give me a tracking number, and he says he'll call back with one, but never does.

Fast forward to Tuesday and I don't get a call, so I call them around 4:30pm. The guy picks up and says "oh yeah, the tire is in," totally forgetting that he said he'd call, and I ask if I can drive over and have them replace the tire. He says, "no, the guy that mounts runflats leaves at 4."

Today I finally go over, drop it off, and get the tire changed. When they're finishing, the guy calls me over and shows me that the valve stem on the TPMS sensor is bent a bit - and it definitely wasn't when I had to move the car on Monday since I tried to inflate the tire then and didn't notice anything. Anyhow, they say it's fine to drive on but that I should order a new part from the dealer. (Got the valve from gill@tirerack for $8.. which was a much better experience that at Hogan, incidentally.)

Everything seems fine as I drive slowly back to work until I leave for lunch, and notice that the wheel seems out of balance. I bring it back and it turns out the rim is bent -not their fault, but it shows that they clearly didn't balance the wheel like they're supposed to since it was very noticable. They referred me to Rim and Wheel Works afterwards, which was probably the best part of the whole experience.

Rim and Wheel Works in Waltham is good. The guy there was super friendly, very knowledgable, runs BMWCCA tech sessions, and seemed like he actually wanted to be helpful and make sure my 1er got back into good driving condition. Straightening the rim was $135 (appropriate?), which is money I'd rather not pay, but beats a crappy ride. I'd highly recommend them if anyone needs wheel/tire services - they don't sell tires but will mount/order them from tire rack or directtire or wherever.

Sorry that this reads like sort of a rant.. bottom line, Hogan Tire blows and Rim and Wheel Works is quite good.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Rachel
Dangerous Curves
United_States
Rep
Drives: better than the boys ;)

Garage List
2011 Ducati 848EVO  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Well, that's good to hear. My friend, however brought their car to Rim and Wheel works in waltham, and they cracked his body-kit.... Good to hear it worked out for you though.
      07-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Buy it from TireRack, and then have it shipped to one of their recommended tire installers. The recommended places do not want to lose the favorable status with TireRack, so they generally take care of you.

Btw, I have my race tires on. Want to borrow one of mine while the tire gets shipped here, or do you have alternate transportation?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
balaroue
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Buy it from TireRack, and then have it shipped to one of their recommended tire installers. The recommended places do not want to lose the favorable status with TireRack, so they generally take care of you.

Btw, I have my race tires on. Want to borrow one of mine while the tire gets shipped here, or do you have alternate transportation?
Ehh, TR doesn't always have great installers. Years ago I got tires for my AMG and the place they recommended was a guy out in front of his garage with a jack. I called & told them about it, and they sent me to another location that was top rate, so all was well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

Good advice and thanks so much for the offer -- fortunately, Rim and Wheel Works was able to straighten it out same-day yesterday and my 1er is back in commission in time for ADSS this weekend!

And to add insult to injury, I also noticed yesterday that Hogan Tire had gotten this weird, greasy-feeling tire mounting soap all over my hood since the tire mounting machine was next to it in their shop. Ick.
Appreciate 0