BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
ChiBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT Sold

How do you position your foot for heel and toe?

Do you heel and toe or use the ball of your foot on both the gas and brake or something else?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

I use the ball of my toe on brake, blip with right side of foot.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
+1. I find it easier to place my heel at the very bottom of the gas pedal and use the technique above.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
rrinker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-Sport

+2, that's how I've always done it. I do have fairly large feet, but unlike some cars, BMW usually has the pedal positions right so it's not too hard to learn to do. Some less drive oriented cars, unless you have size 16 basketball player feet, it ain't happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrinker View Post
+2, that's how I've always done it. I do have fairly large feet, but unlike some cars, BMW usually has the pedal positions right so it's not too hard to learn to do. Some less drive oriented cars, unless you have size 16 basketball player feet, it ain't happening.
My previous car was a heavily modified 6speed Acura TSX which I tracked. Wanna talk about a bitch to heel toe, the pedal depth was off, and laterally I'd have to rotate my ankle and knee to get it even close.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
amsnow440
Olmec's Temple Guard
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT, 05 Legacy GT

Just like this

06-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Exactly!! Lol so much more work than the one. Especially due to the short gear ratios in the Acura. Down shifting 2 gears trail braking turns. Then add in the fat leather seats and stock belts and it was work with my ass sliding all over.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #8
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

I do it differently. I brake only with the ball of my foot and roll my foot over to blip throttle. The key is changing your normal braking mode to always brake with the ball of your foot so you can blip the throttle any time. Trying different foot placements depending on whether I planned to heel toe or not didn't work for me.

Rich
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I have some super wide hobbit feet, so I just use the left side of my foot for the brake, and the right side, part of my heel for the throttle.
      06-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #10
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I have some super wide hobbit feet, so I just use the left side of my foot for the brake, and the right side, part of my heel for the throttle.
+1 I place my foot so it is half on the brake half on the gas then just rock it a little toward the right for the blip.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
This.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I use left side of foot for brake and right for blipping too. But I think it's probably better to use the heel. Side to side works fine for normal driving. But on a track, you are on the brake harder and it will be lower making it harder to use the other side of the same foot on the gas. Track is where you really need to blip the throttle because of your rpm. Maybe I'll try using my heel.

The close placement of the pedals is what the Audi had that was rumored to have lots of unintended acceleration issues. The close placement in a bimmer is the most likely explanation of some observations of unintended acceleration in them too.
      06-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

The reason it's called heel-toe is because when you're braking as hard as possible, the brake will be down far enough below the gas that you HAVE to use the length of your foot to bridge the gap--thus your toes will be on the brake and the heel hits the gas.

When driving and braking normally, you don't push the pedal down that far, and it's actually a huge pain to literally heel-toe unless you're very flexible. That's why everyone, me included, just rolls their foot when downshifting under normal braking.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I have size 11 kicks.

Last weekend I was doing heel-toe in pretty much every corner on the track. Here's how I do it: I put my toe on the brake to keep the most feel in the pedal. Then I pivot my heel to the right, swinging it like a pendulum towards the throttle. I use the OUTSIDE EDGE of my right foot to blip the throttle. My heel never touches the throttle. The heel stays in the air and the outside of the shoe does all the work touching the throttle. When my blip is done, my heel swings back down straight below the brake.

This technique will work very well in cramped pedalboxes, like the Miata's I used to drive.

The best way to practice this is to sit in a parking lot, put it in neutral and try to blip to specific rev points. If you can blip the throttle in a controlled manner while you are pushing hard and MODULATING the brake, you've got it! The second form of practice is on a long off-ramp from the highway. You get multiple shifts down and you don't need to be braking hard.

There is a misnomer that you have to brake hard to do heel-toe. Not true.
      06-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
I have size 11 kicks.

Last weekend I was doing heel-toe in pretty much every corner on the track. Here's how I do it: I put my toe on the brake to keep the most feel in the pedal. Then I pivot my heel to the right, swinging it like a pendulum towards the throttle. I use the OUTSIDE EDGE of my right foot to blip the throttle. My heel never touches the throttle. The heel stays in the air and the outside of the shoe does all the work touching the throttle. When my blip is done, my heel swings back down straight below the brake.

This technique will work very well in cramped pedalboxes, like the Miata's I used to drive.

The best way to practice this is to sit in a parking lot, put it in neutral and try to blip to specific rev points. If you can blip the throttle in a controlled manner while you are pushing hard and MODULATING the brake, you've got it! The second form of practice is on a long off-ramp from the highway. You get multiple shifts down and you don't need to be braking hard.

There is a misnomer that you have to brake hard to do heel-toe. Not true.
+1

I do the same with size 12. Once you get the process down standing still, then in motion in a straight line its time to do it approaching a corner. This is where the smile comes!

I have a right hander on the way to work each morning that is at the bottom of a hill and opens into a 2 lane (each direction) hwy with zero traffic early in the morning. There is nothing like heel toeing down through 2 gears and then nailing it on the exit of your turn!
      06-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Just do it all the time, street, track, whatever. After a while, you don't even have to think about it, takes as much thought as just stepping on the brake.

I am actually not sure exactly what part of my foot I use anymore. Will have to pay attention to it next time.

Although, I do find the computer kills the throttle response in our cars while the clutch is in, really have to step on the gas to rev it up. Is this why people install a clutch stop, so you are no longer hitting the switch at the end of clutch travel?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #18
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

If you don't hit the switch at the bottom of the clutch travel, your car won't start. The switch is there for a reason. We put the clutch stop in to take the dead space out of the bottom of the travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Just do it all the time, street, track, whatever. After a while, you don't even have to think about it, takes as much thought as just stepping on the brake.

I am actually not sure exactly what part of my foot I use anymore. Will have to pay attention to it next time.

Although, I do find the computer kills the throttle response in our cars while the clutch is in, really have to step on the gas to rev it up. Is this why people install a clutch stop, so you are no longer hitting the switch at the end of clutch travel?
      06-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Ya, that is what I figured unfortunately.
Appreciate 0