BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #67
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
That Zenith is really sweet, has a really sophisticated and elegant look to it.

I'm a big fan of Panerai at the moment. The Radiomir Black Seal is something you might like.
Yeah when I saw it in KL this year I fell in love with it!

Funny you mention Panerai as Zenith makes the movement for some of their watches. Although personally not so much of a fan of their 'look'. The Radiomir you suggested is one of the better ones I've seen from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #68
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
You can't leave it at that WAY, what have you got???
I'm still waiting for you to show me photos of your GT3! Haha.

Quote:
Luminor 1950 3 Day GMT is definitely my next watch, hopefully in the new year.
Why the PAM320 as opposed to the PAM312? I prefer the look of the 312 without the additional GMT needle. Looks cleaner to me. I went for the PAM328 which is the metal strap version of the 312 as it is more exclusive (1000 pieces, mine is 829/1000) and I bought leather strap separately.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #69
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

PAMs are great. Love how well the luminous dial works in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #70
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Rolex is probably the best at selling something so mass produced and stale to people who think it is prestigious.
Cough *BMW* cough. Lol. Seriously though, Rolex is tough, well made and has fantastic movements. It's a good buy really. I have a few and I still buy them. Go do your research. They are well regarded by the watch community not because of the wank factor. Unlike say those ETA movement based Panerai for example (don't worry Kamil, ours have in house movements lol).

Last edited by WAY; 12-14-2011 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #71
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
The only Rolex models I like are:
Submariner, Deep Sea SD and Air King
Always knew you are a man of great taste (I have all three of those )
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #72
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Attached Images

12-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #73
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Well I have a budget for $10k, prefer not to spend too much though...
well do I know a thread for you! (sorry, some here will understand the joke)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #74
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Always knew you are a man of great taste (I have all three of those )
Seriously Way... what dont you have...??!?!?

Also is this good taste... i mean really??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #75
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Like Wayne, I prefer the non-GMT 328/312. As always, a bracelet is my preference as you can always swap it to a leather strap but buying a bracelet afterwards is an expensive affair.

My first PAM was a 240. I didn't initially know how rare that particular model was- only 500 per year. Mine's 425/500 . On my wrist today is my 111.

I bought a DSSD beginning of this year but haven't worn it at all! Still has all the stickers/protective wrap all over it. I got it whilst holidaying in HK and now I'm thinking about selling it. I love the size and the bulk but I've also got a ceramic Sub and GMTII which are all very similar looking Obviously heart suppressed head when i bought that!

Qship- any progress with servicing your Omega?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #76
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

You are a long time dead I reckon, use it. But that's just my opinion

No point in saving it for the next person, enjoy it is my motto.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #77
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Minijet, cross forum postings are not allowed! Lol. You must have gone deep into that thread to dig that one out. That one has nothing to do with taste. That is just pure rose gold bling. Lol

Ippykaye, I do the same as you. Every time I travel, if I go into a watch shop, I always walk out with something. How much you want the DSSD for? I know someone who may be interested. Problem is, we can get them brand new for 20% off, and if you take off GST as well on top of that, it may not be worth your while selling it (depending on how much you paid for I guess and how much you are willing to lose!).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #78
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

panerai make hundreds of thousands of batches of watches and yet every watch they make is a limited edition, lol, limited to that batch, its exactly the same as buying a limited edition 320i, as it was limited to say march production in 2011. don't let the sales people make you feel special cos it has a number in a batch that they then repeat over and over, its a pretty feeble scam,
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #79
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
well do I know a thread for you! (sorry, some here will understand the joke)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #80
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
panerai make hundreds of thousands of batches of watches and yet every watch they make is a limited edition, lol, limited to that batch, its exactly the same as buying a limited edition 320i, as it was limited to say march production in 2011. don't let the sales people make you feel special cos it has a number in a batch that they then repeat over and over, its a pretty feeble scam,
Err compared to every Seamaster or Submariner out there right? Every second person where I work has a Seamaster on their wrist. It's like the default first 'serious' watch purchase for people for some reason.

If you want 'mechanical movements' Omega's have a better history than Rolex. There is a pretty good reason the Speedmaster is the 'first watch worn on the moon'.

Rolex and Omega sell as many watches as they can. There is a reason why you can't get a steal on a PAM when you buy one. Try walking into a dealer and asking for a 320 or 111 etc. You'll be lucky if they have 1. Plenty of Seamaster's and Sub's around off the rack whenever you walk into the store.

If you are out an about, far more people who are into watches have commented on my PAM's or U-Boat than an Omega or Rolex in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #81
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

personally I like the fact that 99% of people who see my IWC would have absolutely NFI what it is....

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #82
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Err compared to every Seamaster or Submariner out there right? Every second person where I work has a Seamaster on their wrist. It's like the default first 'serious' watch purchase for people for some reason.

If you want 'mechanical movements' Omega's have a better history than Rolex. There is a pretty good reason the Speedmaster is the 'first watch worn on the moon'.

Rolex and Omega sell as many watches as they can. There is a reason why you can't get a steal on a PAM when you buy one. Try walking into a dealer and asking for a 320 or 111 etc. You'll be lucky if they have 1. Plenty of Seamaster's and Sub's around off the rack whenever you walk into the store.

If you are out an about, far more people who are into watches have commented on my PAM's or U-Boat than an Omega or Rolex in my experience.

i did walk into a panerai dealer and was just about to pull the trigger when i asked, so how many batches do they make if this watch is so special to have a number on it, she says, oh when they sell out the batch they make another, ha ha, i walked out, panerai are about as special as a batch of VB
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #83
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
personally I like the fact that 99% of people who see my IWC would have absolutely NFI what it is....

Very nice!

Is that IWC soap or chocolate?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #84
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ippykaye, I do the same as you. Every time I travel, if I go into a watch shop, I always walk out with something. How much you want the DSSD for? I know someone who may be interested. Problem is, we can get them brand new for 20% off, and if you take off GST as well on top of that, it may not be worth your while selling it (depending on how much you paid for I guess and how much you are willing to lose!).
LOL, I dunno what they retail for here. I'm sure Steven Fung (do you still buy from them in VIC?) would give you a better price for the DSSD brand new anyway Esp with 20% off.

In all honesty, I'd hate to sell it. All I need to do is peel off all the stickers and start wearing it, and all thoughts on selling will disappear! LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #85
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Seriously Way... what dont you have...??!?!?

Also is this good taste... i mean really??
Nice watch! looks familiar! Offshore or not, Royal Oaks are the best watches money can buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #86
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Cough *BMW* cough. Lol. Seriously though, Rolex is tough, well made and has fantastic movements. It's a good buy really. I have a few and I still buy them. Go do your research. They are well regarded by the watch community not because of the wank factor. Unlike say those ETA movement based Panerai for example (don't worry Kamil, ours have in house movements lol).
I didn't buy the BMW for prestige, bought it for what it is. Unlike 90% of Rolex purchasers, who buy it for the name and because everyone knows what it is. Rolex is still stuck in the 80's as far as I'm concerned!

If they have such great movements, why are the ones with Zenith movements worth more? Not really interested in Panerai's either... just don't dig that look?

What is this thread you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #87
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post

Now that's more like it! Beautiful watch
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #88
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

need to remember that not everyone who buys a watch is an enthusiast...
some people see gold and diamonds as a mark of value over the actual movement
Appreciate 0