BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Fixing clogged windscreen washer

Mmmm,

Had the washer clog up once before and the dealer said they fixed it under warranty as the water can get full of mould/gunge.

Anyway I followed the advice and use the washers frequently so that it drains through faster and this morning it just dribbles out like before. I figured I'd drained the bottle and just checking I had and managed to fill it up with 5 litres of water. Try again and it's exactly the same as before.

Mmmm... How can a car this expensive get clogged washers when my French car and Japanese cars have never had a problem.

Any clues on how to DIY a fix? I guess pulling out all the piping is the go, but I suspect it's something at the bottle/pump end.

Thanks

Byron
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Hahahaha Byron... Jap cars have bigger holes lol... this might be a dump idea but trying using and air gun and blow it in the hole if its empty
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Mine's got the same problem. I think it's a known issue. I just had my car serviced last week and they didn't pick it up which I'm not impressed with as it's part of the car's inspection. They said my wipers were streaky and needed to be replaced (I changed OEM blades only 2 months ago) and also charged me for washer fluid but seemingly failed to check my washers...blardy stealers. No apology whatsoever- just 'bring it in another time'...at my inconvenience.

Mine's going in next week for them to 'unclog' my pump/filter...still under (extended) warranty. Access to the washer bottle bump is pretty difficult for the noob I've read- need to remove the wheel etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I did some more looking and the bottle is very hard to get to. Not even sure I can figure it out. The headlight squirters are ok.

I pulled off a pipe to the bonnet ones and the flow was rubbish so it was a pump end problem (or the pipe). I broke a stupid clip in the process. Oh well.

My fix was to pull the pipe t section off at the drivers side squirter and use about 30 psi from my compressor into the pipe. This created some gurgling from the bottle and didn't kill the pump motor and all is well again. Obviously there is some junk in the bottle that will clog again at some point.

I do have extended warranty but it seems such a lame thing to try and get under warranty and they might say it's my fault.

All fixed for now!

B
Appreciate 0