BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Here is a crappy video I made of driving my 135i back in September. I was on the A9 autobahn coming back from Munich to Nurnberg. I got up "only" to 274 kph. Its a little shaky but you can see when my speedo dial stops at 160 mph (260 kph) my M3 digital speedo still climbs. I let off at 274 kph bc that was fast enough while filming. I have seen 283 kph before.
Dackel, you're crazy.

Man, if my wife would find out that I'm toying with a camera at such a high speed, I'd got to run for cover without 'night shift' for a few days.

But hey, a good soldier is taught to be able to steer a car with one hand: one hand on the steering wheel and the other to operate a gun. James Bond Multitasking, you know.

Your TomTom GPS warns you at 00:28-00:29 for a speed camera when you're clocking 257 km/h. Likely a 'false positive' because you're on an Autobahn stretch without speed limit.

America is known as "The Land Of The Free", but they must definitely drool over this "No Speed Limit" freedom sign featuring on many parts of the German Autobahn:
Name:  NoSpeedLimitSign.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  83.5 KB
      01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Dackel, you're crazy.

Man, if my wife would find out that I'm toying with a camera at such a high speed, I'd got to run for cover without 'night shift' for a few days.

Yea... I am a little crazy! lol I was just driving back from Munich and the thought occurred to me why not make a video of how easy it is to drive at these high speeds. 274 was my limit driving with 1.5 hands!

The video also shows you how well my tuned 135i (w/only a flash tune I might add) pulls in 6th gear to close to its V-max.

Quote:
Your TomTom GPS warns you at 00:28-00:29 for a speed camera when you're clocking 257 km/h. Likely a 'false positive' because you're on an Autobahn stretch without speed limit.
That chime was not for a speed camera but for a tail gate camera. The Bavarian Polizei love to "check" your following distance so they put these mobile camera up on some of the bridges.

I also have the same chime to warn me that I am near an Esso station. They are few and far between on the Autobahns. Being affiliated with the military we can only fill up at Esso's for tax free fuel. $1 USd vs 1.65 euros per liter.

Quote:
+1. Yup, I LOVE this sign!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep

"No Speed Limit" freedom and German discipline. An example by two ///M cars.

02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #48
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

The top speed limiter is one area where the Germans can be less than precise in my experience.

When I lived in Germany I had an E46 M3. I attempted to find the limiter many times and was never successful, despite the fact that I saw 290+ kph indicated (yes, the speedo was a little optimistic, but not that much).

While the listed limiter speed is generally 250 kph, your mileage may vary, as they say. Especially on older Audi RS and BMW M models. Today manufactures occasionally offer a raised speed limiter as an option, where previously they just did it on some of the faster cars and didn't tell anyone (nudge nudge, wink wink). German engineers get a little competitive sometimes...
      02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
2009civic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 C

Fast car indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #50
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
The top speed limiter is one area where the Germans can be less than precise in my experience.
When I lived in Germany I had an E46 M3. I attempted to find the limiter many times and was never successful, despite the fact that I saw 290+ kph indicated (yes, the speedo was a little optimistic, but not that much).
While the listed limiter speed is generally 250 kph, your mileage may vary, as they say. Especially on older Audi RS and BMW M models. Today manufactures occasionally offer a raised speed limiter as an option, where previously they just did it on some of the faster cars and didn't tell anyone (nudge nudge, wink wink). German engineers get a little competitive sometimes...
October 2010, when some journalists had driven the 1M test mule:
"BMW claims that this 3308-pound machine will sprint from 0 to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds.
Top speed will be governed to 155 mph, but there will be an option to raise Vmax to 168 mph, as with other M cars."

(source: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ne-Impressions).
Later, BMW seems to have muzzled 1M performance information in official figures releases (no trespassing on the M3 territory):
"BMW engineers and execs have been quoted several times saying things like «it won't step on the M3's toes»"
(source: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...1#post68003747)
Back in those days, they also indicated that a CF roof would be optional - too bad it didn't make it to the final version. Time and budget constraints, you know.
      02-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #51
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
"No Speed Limit" freedom and German discipline. An example by two ///M cars.

haha i knew this stretch of autobahn looked familiar

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0