BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Dinan tune void extended warranty?

Exactly as the title says, will a tune from Dinan and say their oil cooler run the risk of voiding an extended 100,000 mile warranty? I mean, it's probably left to the descretion of the dealer but does anyone have any input or experience on this? I'm just curious say in the instance that you have some Dinan parts on your 1 and the car has say 70,000 miles on it, still within the extended warranty, and then something goes wrong with the car that requires work. Do you think their is a possibility that the dealer would void your extended warranty in a scenario like that?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
GWitha135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

I really wouldn't think so, I mean thats why Dinan is so expensive, because it will not void your warranty.

I recently purchased a 2011 BMW 135i and they wrote the Dinan into the bill of sale when I bought the car, didnt find out till later Dinan doesnt offer a tune for the N55 yet. I also have the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWitha135i View Post
I really wouldn't think so, I mean thats why Dinan is so expensive, because it will not void your warranty.

I recently purchased a 2011 BMW 135i and they wrote the Dinan into the bill of sale when I bought the car, didnt find out till later Dinan doesnt offer a tune for the N55 yet. I also have the extended warranty.
I agree, but it still would be nice to have a concrete answer.

Dinan doesn't have an N55 tune yet!? What are they waiting for over there!?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
No extended warranty with Dinan. Dinan steps in for BMW on the parts they modify. Dinan does not offer an extended warranty. Once BMW is out of the warranty obligation, BMW will not assume the obligation again.
I understand that Dinan matches the factory new car warranty, but what I want to know is assuming one has the BMW extended pre-owned warranty that goes to 5 or 6 years and 100,000 miles will a Dinan tune or other Dinan parts void the BMW extended warranty given an instance where you need work done under the extended warranty? My thinking is that they COULD if they wanted to making the claim that the Dinan parts void the extended warranty, but I doubt they would unless they were real ass holes about it. I mean, under law they would have to prove that whatever broke was directly caused by said "aftermarket" part(s) and they would have an easy time linking a tune to an issue. Plus, who wants to go through all the shit to prove them wrong anyway? You know?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

BMW will not cover engine issues after 50,000 with the Dinan Flash..plus you will have no chance at trading it in CPO as the Dinan Flash of engine will void any chance of BMW re-sellling the car CPO..they can not and your re-sale value will reflect that..If the car is leased the Dinan make some sense..but if you want to keep the car after 50,000 miles and want to keep the CPO... get a differemt tune...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
BMW will not cover engine issues after 50,000 with the Dinan Flash..plus you will have no chance at trading it in CPO as the Dinan Flash of engine will void any chance of BMW re-sellling the car CPO..they can not and your re-sale value will reflect that..If the car is leased the Dinan make some sense..but if you want to keep the car after 50,000 miles and want to keep the CPO... get a differemt tune...
Thanks for the input. Are you sure about this? It sounds as if you looked into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think the answer becomes more obvious if you ask:

"Will BMW cover engine damage tracable to the Dinan tune of the engine under their extended warranty?"

I think that is what you are asking and I would have trouble believing any answer other than "NO". Nothing you do to your car in the U. S. automatically "voids" your warranty. But if you make changes that damage your car, the manufacturer is not liable for that damage. This is specified in federal law. It doesn't matter what somebody says at a car dealership, if you are willing to fight it, to not repair the vehicle under warranty the dealer must be prepared to prove the damage was caused by the modification you made. But if you admit you modified it and agree that was the source of the damage, you might as well not bring up the warranty.

Jim
      01-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think the answer becomes more obvious if you ask:

"Will BMW cover engine damage tracable to the Dinan tune of the engine under their extended warranty?"

I think that is what you are asking and I would have trouble believing any answer other than "NO". Nothing you do to your car in the U. S. automatically "voids" your warranty. But if you make changes that damage your car, the manufacturer is not liable for that damage. This is specified in federal law. It doesn't matter what somebody says at a car dealership, if you are willing to fight it, to not repair the vehicle under warranty the dealer must be prepared to prove the damage was caused by the modification you made. But if you admit you modified it and agree that was the source of the damage, you might as well not bring up the warranty.

Jim
I see where you are coming from. It's not just necessarily engine damage though. Say something fails in your suspension when you're running Dinan software still within the BMW extended pre-owned warranty. Clearly your suspension didn't fail as a result of the software, but would they be able to void your entire extended warranty based on the known existence of Dinan software? Also, in the example that you brought up, the engine failure may or may not have been caused by the Dinan software so do you think they would automatically attribute it to that? If I ran the dealership and a 1 series came in after being a routine customer for years and his 1 had some engine troubles within the extended warranty while running Dinan software then I would still warranty the car. Likely he's a good customer for coming in routinely and a business should appreciate that and it's very possible that engine troubles could've been bound to happen even without the software. This is all assuming that the service representative even has the choice to provide repairs under warranty coverage given the circumstances.

I bet that if you have a good realtionship with your dealership then there is nothing to be concerned about, but it's good to know the full scope of the situation before anything comes up. I think that I will probably end up just asking the service advisor at the dealership this question regardless of what everyone says here on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your factory powertrain warranty is immediately voided after doing a Dinan flash. BMW will no longer cover any drivetrain related problems. Dinan is supposed to cover them, not BMW. Dinans warranty covers 4yr or 50k miles. So yes, your extended warranty will be voided.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Your factory powertrain warranty is immediately voided after doing a Dinan flash. BMW will no longer cover any drivetrain related problems. Dinan is supposed to cover them, not BMW. Dinans warranty covers 4yr or 50k miles. So yes, your extended warranty will be voided.
Drivetrain issues can be caused by a million things though. I mean, will they directly say, "Oh, well it has to have been the Dinan software that caused this!" I could just as easily say something else caused ___ leading to a bigger dispute. I'm just curious if they truely have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to Dinan specific parts. Other aftermarket parts I understand, but Dinan is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Drivetrain issues can be caused by a million things though. I mean, will they directly say, "Oh, well it has to have been the Dinan software that caused this!" I could just as easily say something else caused ___ leading to a bigger dispute. I'm just curious if they truely have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to Dinan specific parts. Other aftermarket parts I understand, but Dinan is different.
You are somewhat right to an extent. A while back, Dinan was the tuner of choice you could say, in the US. Don't know what happened but all of a sudden BMW terminated that relationship with Dinan. And it doesn't matter if its Dinan, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, etc, etc.... Whatever aftermarket stuff that you do to your car that they can attribute to ANY damage that can occur to your car while you own it, they can void the warranty right there and then and you are stuck with the bill.

Dinan at least does provide the 4 year same as BMW plan, but like others have said, the rest of your extended warranty is gone.

My best suggestion to you would be to speak with Dinan and ALSO speak with a BMW service rep and you can get both takes adn make a thought out decision as to the route you want to go.

Best of luck.
      01-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Also forgot one thing. Here in Germany, if you go to the dealer and request that they install for example, aftermarket catted Dp's, intake and exhaust, They WILL NOT WARRANTY THE PART, but will warranty the installation. So if the part fails for some reason and it wasn't because of the installation, it's on you.
      01-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
It varies from dealer to dealer. BMWNA officially does not support CPO warranties for cars that were Dinan modified after 9-1-08. But lots of dealers will support it, especially if they sold you the Dinan parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Your factory powertrain warranty is immediately voided after doing a Dinan flash. BMW will no longer cover any drivetrain related problems. Dinan is supposed to cover them, not BMW.
No, a Dinan flash does not void your BMW warranty. If BMW thinks a specific problem was caused by the Dinan flash, BMW and Dinan will negotiate behind the scenes to decide how much Dinan has to pay for it. But normal stuff like HPFP, injectors, wastegate rattle and so forth is still covered by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Not an easy question, right? Haha
Appreciate 0