BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded

I got th from HP AUTOWERKS the oil cooler he got it from bimmerworld and its manufacturated by SETRAB a very respected brand , this pic I took it from southernBM cause mine its already in the shop and I cant took pics.

http://www.southernbm.com.au/gallery...bum=20&pos=158

What do you think about the size?

On track at 28 C I got 140 C of temp do you think this will maintain the temp at them middle?

regards
      03-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #24
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
That is one impressive oil cooler. Thanks for the post and photos! How high were your oil temps going on race days with the factory oil cooler?
We raced the car at PIR this past weekend and that is a track that tends to make engines run hotter. I think Ralph said they got up to about 265 deg. F and the car did not go into 'limp' mode the entire weekend. The sprint races were 40 min. races (normally 30 minutes), so I would say so far so good. We'll see when we get into the summer months.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gtrdtm View Post
If the second cooler is operated under a thermostat, it would be like it didn't exist until the oil was at temp; impossible to be detrimental to the engine.
You mean like this?

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Hi-...7-diameter-fan

This is the smaller of the two B&M Hi-Tek coolers. The fan is triggered by a 175 degree thermostat to draw more air through the cooler (it is a more effective "pull" fan than it is push). You can mount it anywhere you have access to ambient air. The 1/2 NPT fitting are common oil line fittings and adapters to BMW's oil line will be easy to source.

Yo Scottie, if the Dinan cooler doesn't do it for the race car, let me know if you want to trade the bigger Hi-Tek cooler for the smaller one...I'll bet the B&M one is far more effective than the Dinan at keeping the oil temp ate a respectable temperature, since they use the the Hi-Tek cooler application in circle track, dirt track, and drag racing applications where cool ambient air isn't always on tap. And judging from the placement of the OEM and Dinan oil cooler, cooling capacity will still be an issue for racing applications since it still sits in the wheel well. I think the best option for you would actually be to mount the smaller Hi-Tek on the BOTTOM of your race car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #26
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep

So how was the perfomance with only 1 oil cooler?

Because I have the OEM oil cooler and a extra Setrab oil cooler and I still get rev limiter so after 15 mins I have to chill for 1 lap

Any inputs?
      04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #27
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Yo Scottie, I think the best option for you would actually be to mount the smaller Hi-Tek on the BOTTOM of your race car.
Got to be careful with that on a road race car that can go off course occassionally. We had one off-road excursion with the 135i at the end of last season: cracked oil pan, cracked rear diff. cover, torn undertrays, etc. On previous BMWs, the middle of the trunk pan was a great place for cooler mounting with a hole cut in the floor, but with a 135i in stock class, the battery sits in the middle trunk base now.

We only have one data point so far with the Dinan unit at PIR (which is track that tends to heat up engines and a track we had hit the limiter before) and we did not hit the dynamic rev limiter. But we are also using a race oil that has a reputation for helping to lower engine temps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
Speed Cat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
Got to be careful with that on a road race car that can go off course occassionally. We had one off-road excursion with the 135i at the end of last season: cracked oil pan, cracked rear diff. cover, torn undertrays, etc. On previous BMWs, the middle of the trunk pan was a great place for cooler mounting with a hole cut in the floor, but with a 135i in stock class, the battery sits in the middle trunk base now.

We only have one data point so far with the Dinan unit at PIR (which is track that tends to heat up engines and a track we had hit the limiter before) and we did not hit the dynamic rev limiter. But we are also using a race oil that has a reputation for helping to lower engine temps.

What race oil are u using, and would race oil be good for hard street driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Cat View Post
What race oil are u using, and would race oil be good for hard street driving?
We are using the Total (used to be elf on the label) Quartz Racing 10W-50 down here in SoCal, but with you being up in Canada, you should maybe opt for their 5W oil (I think it's 5W-30)

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #30
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Have you noticed any impact to rotor/pad temps on the side where the oil cooler intrudes into the brake duct?

I'd be a little concerned with limiting airflow to the brakes. The 135i is a heavy, quick car, and rotor width in stock configuration is a compromise to begin with. Not sure if you're running aftermarket brakes or not tho...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #31
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Have you noticed any impact to rotor/pad temps on the side where the oil cooler intrudes into the brake duct?

I'd be a little concerned with limiting airflow to the brakes. The 135i is a heavy, quick car, and rotor width in stock configuration is a compromise to begin with. Not sure if you're running aftermarket brakes or not tho...
Since we have a race car, we fabricated new inlet ducts and ran hoses to the dust cover plates
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #32
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Scott,

You mentioned "Dynamic Rev Limiter" a couple times as a culprit linked to limp mode on the track. I have tracked my car a few times, as you know (fellow cracked piston insert brother), but only activated limp mode twice. It happened on the same track, on the same turn, same engine temp. High g turn, high revs, high engine temps (270). But I've had the car at 270 at other tracks. It appeared to me that the combination of these three variables resulted in limp mode. If it were just temp or even temp + revs, I think I would have experience limp mode more frequently. Is this the event you are describing when you said "Dynamic Rev Limiter"?

Thanks,

Philip
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #33
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
Scott,

You mentioned "Dynamic Rev Limiter" a couple times as a culprit linked to limp mode on the track. I have tracked my car a few times, as you know (fellow cracked piston insert brother), but only activated limp mode twice. It happened on the same track, on the same turn, same engine temp. High g turn, high revs, high engine temps (270). But I've had the car at 270 at other tracks. It appeared to me that the combination of these three variables resulted in limp mode. If it were just temp or even temp + revs, I think I would have experience limp mode more frequently. Is this the event you are describing when you said "Dynamic Rev Limiter"?

Thanks,
Philip
People continued to the use the term 'limp mode', but I think of limp mode as when the computer senses an engine problem where it basically will let you drive the car at like 45 mph until the car sat long enough to clear the fault. I used the term 'Dynamic Rev Limiter' mode based on the way Ralph described what the car was doing. I don't know all of the conditions BMW built into the test, but Ralph said the car was still pretty driveable, but it just wouldn't let him have all the capability of the car until it was happy again. I'd heard someone say (or post) that for the temp, it was actually monitoring the water temp and not oil temp (but keeping the oil temp lower helps keep the water temp lower). But I don't know that for certain either (that it's based on water temp).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #34
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Scott i was going to send you an mp but I think its better to ppl know from you

I bought a Setrab oil cooler bigger than stock , right now Im using both oil coolers , do you think its better to use only the Setrab? Or both?

I dont hv a tune yet I took off jb3 cause I was reaching rev limiter very easy

You hv to know that i still get dynamic rev limiter with the extra oil cooler but wuth only slow lap I can run another 15 mins

Tnx in advance
      05-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raflekt View Post
Scott i was going to send you an mp but I think its better to ppl know from you
I bought a Setrab oil cooler bigger than stock , right now Im using both oil coolers , do you think its better to use only the Setrab? Or both?
I dont hv a tune yet I took off jb3 cause I was reaching rev limiter very easy
You hv to know that i still get dynamic rev limiter with the extra oil cooler but wuth only slow lap I can run another 15 mins
Tnx in advance
Where is your 2nd oil cooler located? There are differing opinions on cooling oil. Some people think a lot more capacity (total amount of oil available to the system) is most important. Some people think that air flow to and thru the cooler you have is the most important factor. What Dinan does is go larger and try to get more area of it getting flow (it uses a good part of the brake duct opening). The HKS setup adds an extra cooler, but it is up behind the bumper as well.

There are also differing opinions on 1 large cooler vs. multiple coolers. I haven't tried multiple coolers on a car yet. We've always gone with the largest single cooler we could fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
AlxWst
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Hi,
Just to change the subject a bit, curious when you did your mods, what did you do with the stock sport seats? I don't have a sport package, but would like to install the sport seats if I can find some.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #37
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

do you by chance have dimensions on the setrab?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #38
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxWst View Post
Hi,
Just to change the subject a bit, curious when you did your mods, what did you do with the stock sport seats? I don't have a sport package, but would like to install the sport seats if I can find some.
Thanks!
We don't have the stock front seats any more. On the subject of oil cooling, keeping the water cooler is a big help. We now have the aftermarket radiator from HP Autowerks.
Appreciate 0