BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Air Intake - Best Option for a hot place like FL?

I wish BMW Performance would make a system for the 1M. Their closed CF air boxes have proved to be one of the best options on other vehicles in the past. I saw the GruppeM system but what is the pricing on that nor have seen any numbers on performance. I have a drop in filter now but my car wants more. I do NOT want a dual cone set up as I ran one on my 135i. The ambient temps in FL are not the best if you are running an open/ or dual cone set up. Don't believe me? Do 3 hard pulls and see how different your car feels that 4th pull when compared to the first. I am not a drag car guy, I am a corner guy, and have all my fun driving my car extremely hard. And I can not drive it as hard/consistent when running an open set up such as dual cones, bottom line. I had an opened mind and gave it a shot. That inconstancy is not why I buy BMW. It is common sense: yes, more air is good but not air that is extremely hot/ hotter than what the stock box takes in.

Has anyone seen what set up is on the BMW safety car? That car has been the model for my own vehicle and I would love to see what route they went for additional cooling aside from the $11,000 hood.
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would have to strongly suggest an fmic instead of an intake

The gains / benefits from that, specifically in terms if consistency are huge and far more substantial to whatever gains you see from an intake

Plus, i dont think anyone claims power gains from intakes on stock tunes
      02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

i have an afe dual cone and it works just fine, but i also have a forge intercooler and i live in south florida. love the sound of the dual cone.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

run your stock intake. if you want, go for an upgraded IC instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Good advice above.

Intake is insignificant -- pretty much a "vanity" mod.

An intercooler -- especially in your locale -- would make a big difference.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I would have to strongly suggest an fmic instead of an intake

The gains / benefits from that, specifically in terms if consistency are huge and far more substantial to whatever gains you see from an intake

Plus, i dont think anyone claims power gains from intakes on stock tunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
i have an afe dual cone and it works just fine, but i also have a forge intercooler and i live in south florida. love the sound of the dual cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
run your stock intake. if you want, go for an upgraded IC instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Good advice above.

Neil
Thanks all of you! I have learned a little from each. I am actually planning on keeping the stock air box now, it just has the best design IHMO and I also plan on putting my stock filter back in. What FMIC is recommended? Any idea what set up is on the MotoGP safety car? What ever BMW did to that car, I am willing to do to my own!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Thanks all of you! I have learned a little from each. I am actually planning on keeping the stock air box now, it just has the best design IHMO and I also plan on putting my stock filter back in. What FMIC is recommended? Any idea what set up is on the MotoGP safety car? What ever BMW did to that car, I am willing to do to my own!
Do a search here.. Loads of info!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i would HIGHLY recommend ETS

benefits

-spot on fitment (belive me, this is an issue for almost ALL FMIC on the 1M)
-includes new lower FMIC piping (smoother flow, tighter connections for less chance for a leak)
-uses factory C clip with perfect fitment
-efficient core
-doesnt block OEM radiator like larger FMIC do
-NO CUTTING needed
-perfect for stock or moderate tune levels (possibly not adequate for high powered setups with upgraded turbos, e85 tunes etc)
-excellent price point
      02-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

go with the forge intercooler. best made in terms of quality. this intercooler was tested on a 1m.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers

i would HIGHLY recommend ETS

-uses factory C clip with perfect fitment
The ETS FMIC plumbing does not use the factory c-clips.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The ETS FMIC plumbing does not use the factory c-clips.
Really?

Thought it used extra plumbing only on the hot side?

Been a long time since I installed one on my 335, I am sure you are right

Thanks for clearing that up
      02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Good advice above.

Neil

+1. Could not have said any better myself.

Also... you might want to look into upgrading to the 1M/135is/335is/PPK2 radiator fan. It's a HD radiator fan that will cool down the engine better than the stock fan.

The only real HP gaining intake would be the Mr.5 intake mod. Its alot like what DINAN has done or even Alpina. GroupeM(Sp?) is also a nice one. But its pricey at $2k to $4K depending on who you buy it from.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
could see a temp benefit of a couple degrees by switching to a 0w40 if you havent already
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
or are we talking about IATs
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I wish BMW Performance would make a system for the 1M. Their closed CF air boxes have proved to be one of the best options on other vehicles in the past. I saw the GruppeM system but what is the pricing on that nor have seen any numbers on performance. I have a drop in filter now but my car wants more. I do NOT want a dual cone set up as I ran one on my 135i. The ambient temps in FL are not the best if you are running an open/ or dual cone set up. Don't believe me? Do 3 hard pulls and see how different your car feels that 4th pull when compared to the first. I am not a drag car guy, I am a corner guy, and have all my fun driving my car extremely hard. And I can not drive it as hard/consistent when running an open set up such as dual cones, bottom line. I had an opened mind and gave it a shot. That inconstancy is not why I buy BMW. It is common sense: yes, more air is good but not air that is extremely hot/ hotter than what the stock box takes in.

Has anyone seen what set up is on the BMW safety car? That car has been the model for my own vehicle and I would love to see what route they went for additional cooling aside from the $11,000 hood.
If you are on stock tune, a drop in air filter will do. Stage 1 and above you should add a sealed intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #16
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If you are on stock tune, a drop in air filter will do. Stage 1 and above you should add a sealed intake.
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
I am using the aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter that I bought from HP Autowerks. I did not make a dyno after that because at the same time with filter I also had ER charge pipe so I am not 100 % certain that any possible difference between before&after dynos will solely reflect the effect of the filter.

Impressions: None or negligible difference in hp/tq. I do feel the car hits the high revs more willingly but it might be a combination of other factors too (exhaust broken in etc.). There is no sound change and no oil to worry about since it is a dry filter, I keep on checking it and am pretty sure doing its "filtering" job properly as well.

So overall, my car with existing technical mods (check sig) feel like there is no lag to talk about, really good throttle response even in non-M mode, eager at high revs and overall more pleasant and slightly quicker compared to all stock. As I said it is a combined effect of following mods: better/grippier PSS tires, modified CDV, aFe filter, ER charge pipe, N55 mids and Evolve Race rear exhaust. Other than the exhaust sound it still feels like the stock car just better in everything.

I can't single out the air filter and say what it literally added, but definitely it did not add anything negative and probably helped a bit. Does it worth the cost is another question that you should answer yourself, for me everything worths if I feel a stock component is not a perfect fit to the rest of the car.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Cool. Thanks for impressions. I might try that filter!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks Harold and ozinaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I have a BMS Drop In Filter, and feel that it is definitely better than the stock paper filter. I just installed my new AFE Dry Drop In Filter from HPA and love it! As others describe as a subtle difference, all I can say is I feel like the car likes this filter better than both the BMS drop in filter and stock paper filter. I assume it has to do something with the lack of oil but increased flow over stock paper. I feel as if it optimizes maximum airflow on the stock box/ and tune. It feels a tad bit stronger and smoother when compared to before.
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I have a BMS Drop In Filter, and feel that it is definitely better than the stock paper filter. I just installed my new AFE Dry Drop In Filter from HPA and love it! As others describe as a subtle difference, all I can say is I feel like the car likes this filter better than both the BMS drop in filter and stock paper filter. I assume it has to do something with the lack of oil but increased flow over stock paper. I feel as if it optimizes maximum airflow on the stock box/ and tune. It feels a tad bit stronger and smoother when compared to before.
Good to hear man. I am pretty sure that the car feels less restricted at the top end of the revs and when the speeds go triple digit miles with this dry filter. Good enough for me.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
There is no MAF on the 1M.
Appreciate 0