E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Winter Driving Experience

12-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
Winter Driving Experience

I think this might be a good idea for some of us up north to share some winter driving experience. There were a couple of discussions before but is too lazy to dig em up

Anyhow, I got 16" changed on Friday and there was some light snow tonight. So I figured I should learn to get used to this new dimension of winter driving (from Volvo FWD).

I took a couple of kilometers around the neighbourhood. My biggest impression is that DTC should be turned off (press once) while winter driving. At often times when I pedal a bit harder, the back starts to swing and when you try to correct things, the DTC kicks in and makes the process kinda unnatural to me. I actually felt I am not in control anymore and feel more vunlerable.

In any case, with DTC turned off, I was able to correct the swing in no time. The DSC still saves me from being stupid and the winter tires can get me back on track easily. Do notice I'm talking about pedal a bit too much while cruising legal safe speed.

In terms of switching from FWD to RWD, it actually surprises me that I feel more secure with RWD because it gives u this sense of awareness of danger so you'll be on alert. With the volvo FWD, no matter hwo hard you try to spin it, you can easily control it back without problem.

But all in all, I am like-ing the experience so far.
      12-04-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
good info. thanks for sharing.

I am strictly coming from honda FWD.
I need to push my car to the limit to see how bmw RWD behave..

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I was just going to post a similar thread, and I found this, soooo:

Today we just had our first couple "plow-able" inches of snow for the season. And I think considering RWD, I think my car handled exceptionally well. You can just tell it's RWD from how it handles on the slick roads and that led me to be even more careful than usual in the snow, but overall, for RWD, the car is amazing!!!!

It didn't slide or get stuck, and turns around icy corners were almost as if there was no snow on the ground at all. I am very happy about this car. It is just the base 325i with all seasons (no sp) so maybe it would handle differently with 17s or 18s, but I am completely satisfied.

Just take your time and pay attention and you'll get where you need to go driving the E90 without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic
I took a couple of kilometers around the neighbourhood. My biggest impression is that DTC should be turned off (press once) while winter driving. At often times when I pedal a bit harder, the back starts to swing and when you try to correct things, the DTC kicks in and makes the process kinda unnatural to me. I actually felt I am not in control anymore and feel more vunlerable.
Noticed the exact same thing on my old 325xi. I would start to take a corner, slide alittle and then try to countersteer. However, the car would straighen itself out and I would end up going in the wrong direction. Once I got used to that responce though, it was easier to get around in the snow with it...

Now for my new 330xi... The one thing that I noticed different from the older 325xi, is that it actually takes a lot more to get the traction control to kick in. Going in a parking lot moving slowly in 2nd I had to almost floor the gas to start to get the tires to break free and get the traction control to kick in... In all over cases the car just went... BTW I have the standard A/S tires on the car.

We just got a few more inches of snow today... I think I'll have to take it out to a parking lot a try a couple more things... This is the first year I have a manual in the snow, so I'm still getting used to it. However, the car really does feel planted when it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Oh, what do you people in Buffalo know about snow!

Thanks for the good information... I've been curious to see how our 325xiT will do in the powder.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

No, my 325i with sport tires isn't going out in winter. I need to get a set of winter soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
Another observation today

It is a cold sunny day today. I pedal to the metal a couple of times on the road/highway. I felt the car does not seem to want to move. I feels a lot less agile and explosive. Originally, I thought there was something wrong with it but then I realize it is probably because of the winter tires' material that make the tires tend to be more sticky to the ground. There is nothing wrong with this but I'll probably hold back on the pedal-to-metal during winter until my 17 is back
      12-05-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Not just more sticky - if you floor it the DSC will kick-in to cut gas so that you don't spinn you tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
ThreeBimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325 xi

We got 2-3" here yesterday and I was out driving in the stock Runflats. I had no problems. I came from driving a Land Rover Discovery so I started out very cautiously. I was surprised the car handled better than I had expected.

In any case, I'm getting snow runflats put on tomorrow. We are expecting some more snow tomorrow night so we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreslogic
I think this might be a good idea for some of us up north to share some winter driving experience. There were a couple of discussions before but is too lazy to dig em up

Anyhow, I got 16" changed on Friday and there was some light snow tonight. So I figured I should learn to get used to this new dimension of winter driving (from Volvo FWD).

In any case, with DTC turned off, I was able to correct the swing in no time. The DSC still saves me from being stupid and the winter tires can get me back on track easily. Do notice I'm talking about pedal a bit too much while cruising legal safe speed.

In terms of switching from FWD to RWD, it actually surprises me that I feel more secure with RWD because it gives u this sense of awareness of danger so you'll be on alert. With the volvo FWD, no matter hwo hard you try to spin it, you can easily control it back without problem.

But all in all, I am like-ing the experience so far.
You'd be wise to keep dtc on in highway driving.

The computer will be able to correct for "intended path" much better than your reactions.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
timmerweb
Private
Rep
Drives: Red 325i prem/sport/nav/leathr

The thing I've been enjoying most about winter driving for the first time with RWD is being able to do real donuts in snlow-covered deserted parking lots.

There's one joy our friends for fairer climates cannot enjoy (without wrecking their tires).

I noticed its pretty easy to get the back-end to break loose around a corner if you get on the gas too soon, even with all the electronics enabled, something to be aware of.

-Tim
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #12
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
You'd be wise to keep dtc on in highway driving.

The computer will be able to correct for "intended path" much better than your reactions.
oh that is for sure no doubt.
as someone pointed out, i just need to get used to this.