BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i M package convertible

Reverse bleed nightmare

Spent last night trying to reverse bleed my clutch using an oiler can...
Oiler can started leaking all over the place.. I got a whole bunch of pumps in but I have no idea if it worked... Highly doubt it because nothing was coming out when I stopped pumping... (Before closing nipple)

What a mess to say the least...

I may have to bring it to shop for this one guys...
Anyways just in case I muster the courage

Is this the correct clutch bleed procedure:

1. Have someone pump clutch ?? Times and hold clutch down

2. Open nipple and allow clutch fluid to flow through tube

3. Close nipple

4. Allow person to release clutch

Rinse and repeat?
      12-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep

Second question: Can I make it to a mechanic with the clutch not bled 100%
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I don't know how to exactly bleed a clutch manually because you cannot build pressure within the system like you can on brakes.

Anyways, like I've said before you should probably invest in a pressure bleeder in the future.

As far as driving it, depends if the clutch can be engaged and disengaged without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I will second the pressure bleeder suggestion. I bought my son a Motive and I borrow it. There is a screw on cap for our cars, the best connection. It makes it easy to do it yourself. All you do is make sure you have enough fluid either in the bleeder or the resovoir and pressurize the system. Then you open the bleed valve. When you stop seeing bubbles, or more likely, think enough fluid has come out, close the valve and you should be good.

If you have too much air in the system, you may not be able to get the clutch to fully disengage. That will make it hard to shift if it is just slightly engaged or impossible to drive, if it is still basically fully engaged. You will know the latter when you try to crank the engine. It will probably be drivable.
      12-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thoughts on this:

Pour about an inch of new hydraulic fluid into a clean jar, and stand it on the ground under the slave cylinder.

Put the free end of the bleed tube into the jar, below the surface of the fluid. Air and fluid from the system will be pumped into the jar.

Remove the bleed-nipple dust cover on the slave cylinder and fit the bleed tube as described (see right). The nipple is easily damaged, so use a spanner of the right size to unscrew it about three-quarters of a turn.

Get a helper to press the clutch pedal smartly all the way down, then release it quickly. If bubbles flow from the end of the pipe in the jar, pump the pedal until no more appear. Keep the end of the tube immersed in the fluid all the time.

If after six pedal strokes the bubbles have not cleared, top up the reservoir before you continue pumping. Otherwise, more air will be drawn into the system and it will have to be bled again.

When the system is free of air, get the helper to hold the pedal down while you tighten the nipple.

Before you remove the bleed tube and jar, depress the clutch pedal to ensure that the pressure required is normal.

Top up the fluid reservoir and screw the cap on firmly. Get your helper to work the pedal vigorously several times while you inspect all the joints and piping of the system for leaks.

Unless the end of the bleed tube is covered with fluid, air will be sucked into the system during pumping.

Use a spanner of the right size to open the bleed nipple. Unscrew it about three-quarters of a turn.

-howacarworks.com
      12-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Horigan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

A couple of notes on the method above. The clutch will stay at the floor after depressing it since you're not building pressure to bring it back up. You'll need to pull the pedal back up. Ensure the tube is submerged when you do this.

I'd be worried six pumps would introduce more air in to the system from the reservoir since you may go below the side port opening that feeds the clutch. I would refill after three pumps.

Pressure bleeders are the way to go verses pumping. If you use a pressure bleeder, go with very low pressure. There is very little hydraulic resistance in this circuit and I've introduced air via the reservoir with too much pressure because the fluid couldn't travel fast enough within the reservoir to keep the side port submerged.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

"Reverse bleed" is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time about car maintenance. This is below filling street tires with nitrogen. Yes I read about it. It's dumb. Nothing to be accomplished different from regular bleeding except the possibility of more leaking fluid. What am I missing? Don't mean this to be nasty but what? I've been wrong before.
Appreciate 0