BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Bird Etching from New!

Thought I'd post here as its a fault caused by the dealer...

Basically my 1M was in storage with the UK dealership prior to collection of the car in September last year.

During that time it had been splattered with bird poo and I noticed etchings a week after I had taken delivery.

Had a detailer come in and remove all etchings and was all agreed and cost borne by the dealership.

Now few months have passed and the etchings are reappearing. I have raised it with BMW UK Customer Services and have had the problem looked at the supplying dealers bodyshop.

Now the problem, they recommend buffing out the marks again.

My fear is:

1. This will just hide the problem for a few more months/years until the problem reccurs again. By which time can't prove its from original damage.

2. Will wear the clear coat down sufficiently that in a few years time the paint will dull/be more susceptible to further damage.

Is their suggestion reasonable or should I insist that the offending panels are resprayed which amounts to the whole car, or at least roof, C pillars and rear wings.

Pic below is or original damage marked by detailers tape. Car was polished twice under lamps before all marks were gone! Hence my disappointment that they are returning. If it had not been a 1M and therefore limited edition, I would have refused the car.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shost; 07-03-2012 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: EDIT added photos
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

This is just in the clear coat can it be rubbed down and re laquered? Would have thought that just the roof could be done up to the rails. I can put you in touch with someone that could do this for you.

Last edited by Jezzer; 07-03-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

ask them to sponsor you for a new CF roof, buff off the other parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

In order to chime in, close up pictures of what they look like would help. If it's just on the clear coat, you should be able to polish it out. If it's deeper than that, it's probably some sort of acid unlikely to be bird droppings.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Pugland53
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I had the same problem, my car was stored for a few weeks before delivery and there were a few bird etchings on the roof. They were removed along with dealer prep scratches when I had my car detailed a few weeks ago.
I hope they don't reappear!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

As you can see from the pics none of the marks are beyond the clear coat. There were further marks that weren't on the pic such as those on the C pillars, and a particularly large one below the Right Rear window.

That's a fair point Jez, perhaps a re-laquering would be more reasonable and save messy repainting. I want to keep the car as standard as poss, I'm not big into modding so no CF roof!

Further options and opinions welcome!

I didn't know bird muck etchings could return but I've seen a few mentions of it on the web. My bro who is a chemicals expert apparently thinks this could be due to the acid having sat on the surface for long enough to remain in the topcoat.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
I wouldn't stand for having another machine polish, I would be insisting that something more was done.

Bird pooh can be an incredibly dangerous thing, if left for any amount of time.

There is a black Renault Clio at work that has had the worlds largest bird crap on the rear 1/4 panel. I warned the owner time and time again but he ignored it.

Found out last week that when he eventually tried to wash it off (after a few months) it had eaten through the lacquer, paint and base coat to bare metal.

I always thought it was an old wives tale but it really is dangerous
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

From the updated photos it looks like it's just the top coat and can be polished off.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe you can get them to pay to have your car's clear coat wet sanded and buffed out. That wil also get rid of the orange peel as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Check this out. Not sure if it helps, other than to provide more information about what causes the etchings. You might be able to use this to help the dealer understand how serious the problem is. According to the study referenced, the paint actually softens in the heat while the bird droppings harden. Then when the paint cools and contracts, it "re-dries" unevenly around the bird droppings. So the etching you see is actually dullness caused by the paint not being smooth and reflecting back the light. That's what their study found, at least.

Hope the dealer makes everything right.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/04/b...ast-not-by-it/

http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/News-ar....asp?v06VQ=HIK

Excerpt from the press release about the study:

Research from Autoglym reveals bird dropping ‘acidity’ has no effect on paintwork

Damage results from cooling paint lacquer contracting and moulding around deposits

New research from Autoglym, the UK’s leading car care experts, suggests that the familiar sight of car bodywork ‘etched’ by bird droppings are not the result of any corrosive property in the deposit, as is commonly believed. In fact, damage instead results from the paint lacquer contracting upon cooling and moulding to the uneven texture of the hardened deposit.

As paint lacquer warms – in the direct summer sunshine for example – it softens and expands. At the same time, that heat dries and hardens any bird droppings on the surface. Autoglym’s researchers discovered that as the paint lacquer cools, overnight for example, it contracts, hardens and moulds around the texture of the bird dropping. To the naked eye, this moulding at a microscopic level appears as dulled or etched paintwork. The light’s reflection is interrupted by the imperfect surface, unlike the undamaged paint surrounding it which gives a clearer reflection.

Autoglym’s tests with strongly acidic, neutral and strongly alkali bird dropping substitutes highlighted negligible differences in the damage caused. However, differences in paint damage were noted when the substitute bird deposits had varying degrees of grain-to-liquid content. A grainier texture caused greater light distortion (dullness) when the paint moulded around it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

The car has already had a fairly aggressive sanding already. At least more aggressive than you'd expect for a brand new car.

Interesting read about the cause of bird etching. I must add I noticed the return of the etchings after a particularly hot spell here in the UK. (distant memory now...). However the theory explained above doesn't really apply to reappearing etchings. The theory does suggest a very poor standard of pre-delivery care. All these problems would be solved by leaving whatever film coat was on the car or just covering it!

I'm still waiting to hear what the dealership will agree to. Some friends have suggested a deferred full respray should defects occur at anytime in next five years for example.

I don't think I'll be totally satisfied with a further deep polish/wet sand. That would make intervention No. 3. A new car should be without flaws, and shouldn't have years taken off the clear coat to cover a dealerships cock up. So I am still tempted to pursue respraying either lacquer or full paint to ensure total match. In which case it does become a huge task, but I have a fairly keen eye and I know I'll spot any inperfections!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Sorry about your car. I am sure it will be fixed somehow.

Now, I will not take bird poop lightly! It is serious sh*t!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Bird etchings can typically be removed via clay bar and a mid cut compound and pad. If they've returned I would question the quality of the first detailer's work.

You're lucky being located in the UK as there are lots of very reputable detailers that should be able to correct this no problem. Head on over to Detailing World. You should be able to find a detailer to get this out for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu
Bird etchings can typically be removed via clay bar and a mid cut compound and pad. If they've returned I would question the quality of the first detailer's work.

You're lucky being located in the UK as there are lots of very reputable detailers that should be able to correct this no problem. Head on over to Detailing World. You should be able to find a detailer to get this out for you.
Original detailer found via the 1M addicts sub forum and via detailing world testimonials. I certainly had no qualms with his work following initial intervention and if anything he tried to limit the amount of clear coats that was removed. Again bizarre that the marks have re-emerged. They definitely had gone when viewed under natural and fluorescent lights.

The car is going in on Monday for the dealership body shop to have a go. I fear they will simply take off too much clear coat! I asked then to reimburse me for previous wax protection (RaceGlaze55) as this was applied 8-9 months ago. Will not let then short change me on this one!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

So a quick update!

They fixed the etchings and put "bodyguard" on the car. Or at least gave me a certificate and window sticker.

But they managed to put THREE small dents in the roof!! They are sending the dent guy round tomorrow at their cost.

Unbelievable incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
So a quick update!

They fixed the etchings and put "bodyguard" on the car. Or at least gave me a certificate and window sticker.

But they managed to put THREE small dents in the roof!! They are sending the dent guy round tomorrow at their cost.

Unbelievable incompetence.

I guess they opened a dealership in the UK after retiring from show biz.

Hope everything gets sorted out.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Once you get it fixed maybe consider getting Xpel fitted. Bird droppings are one reason I had this fitted. It's easy to clean off insect splats as well.

Last edited by Jezzer; 08-13-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

I guess they opened a dealership in the UK after retiring from show biz.

Hope everything gets sorted out.
Thankfully their dent guy was a bit better than they were. Car is all sorted but it still needs a proper detail but at least its back to full health.

Couldn't afford to get Xpel or paintshield so invested in a outdoor car cover! Bit of a faff getting it on and off but now its like christmas each time I unwrap it...
Appreciate 0