BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Post Voiding Warranties?

So my 135 is pretty new (to me at least) but my question is what exactly shouldn't I do to void my warranty. I just ordered new wheels, tires and springs but I dont think they'll (BMW Shop) bother me about that. My next plan of action is to get an accessport, which i know will void the warranty if I dont remove the tune before bringing it to the shop.

But what if I want to upgrade the exhaust and intake after that? Will that void the warranty? I ask because I read a lot of you guys talking about bringing your cars in for service, and other issue that your having, so obviously a warranty is a good thing to have with this car, especially with the high costs of repairs.

Thanks guys.
      12-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
is your friend:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215590

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

A lot of it depends on your BMW service department. Some service departments tolerate modifications more than others. Bottom line is BMW has to prove the mod caused the failure so you have to deal with fighting them over warranty. Just ask the BMW service manager directly if a mod will void the warranty and you will have a good feeling of where they stand.

I do not understand how the BMW dealer can find say a Juice box and void the warranty with no failure related to the mod. My understanding of the Magnuson-Moss Act is a failure has to occur then the warranty can be voided if the mod caused the failure. Say I change my oil and use a Fram filter. Then take the car to the dealer for something and they find the Fram filter and void my warranty.

Again it’s how much of your resources do you want to spend fighting them on an issue and how tolerant you BMW dealer is of mods.
      12-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I believe part of the confusion is caused by the phrase "void the warranty". It seems to suggest there is some loophole that the manufacturer can use so they avoid responsibility. I don't think there is and it is easier to understand if we avoid that phrase.

I think the right way to look at it is to ask a different question. If you ask "If I do this to my car and it results in damage to the vehicle, is the manufacturer responsible?" Generally, unless the same manufacturer sold you the part and recommended it for your vehicle the answer to this is no. Even then, there could be a limitation of liability with respect to the new part that would come into play.

Another way to look at it might be to ask "Do I trust this supplier that his parts will not damage my new bimmer?". Dinan is the only one I know of that seriously warrants their parts will not damage your car.

If the new parts do no damage, then nothing to worry about. If they do, then the manufacturer has every legal and moral right to disclaim responsibility. Unfortunately what caused what is often not crystal clear.

Pulling the parts before you go in is only going to make it a little more uncertain if you installed a tune or something. More boost can blow a head gasket and would be suspected regardless of whether there is a tune present when you take it in. There could also be codes they can read to tell them.

Jim
      12-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I don't understand why this is so hard for some people. If the dealer thinks a mod could possibly have been the cause of a failure they will not cover the repar under warranty. So if you have a tune and your fuel injectors fail the dealer will not warranty the repair and honestly they probably should not because the tune has taken them out of the range they were designed, tested, and the actuarial model was based on. If your power window actuator goes out the the dealer will cover the repair as it would be unrelated to the tune. If you made a product and someone modified it and broke it would you want to or feel like you should replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Any modifications to the vehicle - per your warranty are a bases for BMW to decline warranty coverage on the area of the warranty impacted by the modification. Tires, wheels and springs would definitely allow BMW to decline warranty coverage on the entire suspension system.

Intake and exhaust mods would allow BMW to decline all engine/trans/diff warranty coverage. The mods do not need to be the cause of a problem to decline warranty. If you read your limited new vehicle warranty it specifically states that alterations can be grounds for declining warranty coverage. It's quite clear and people have warranty coverage declined weekly for these types of modifications.

The limited new vehicle warranty that BMW provides to you is for the vehicle in the exact specifications it was manufactured and delivered to you, not to some altered configuration, which is why the alteration clause exists in your warranty. Your warranty is a conditional warranty. If you want to retain the warranty then you can't altered the vehicle.

Last edited by HT1000; 12-17-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT1000 View Post
Any modifications to the vehicle - per your warranty are a bases for BMW to decline warranty coverage on the area of the warranty impacted by the modification. Tires, wheels and springs would definitely allow BMW to decline warranty coverage on the entire suspension system.

Intake and exhaust mods would allow BMW to decline all engine/trans/diff warranty coverage. The mods do not need to be the cause of a problem to decline warranty. If you read your limited new vehicle warranty it specifically states that alterations can be grounds for declining warranty coverage. It's quite clear and people have warranty coverage declined weekly for these types of modifications.

The limited new vehicle warranty that BMW provides to you is for the vehicle in the exact specifications it was manufactured and delivered to you, not to some altered configuration, which is why the alteration clause exists in your warranty. Your warranty is a conditional warranty. If you want to retain the warranty then you can't altered the vehicle.
So using your model I change my oil and use Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter. 2,000 miles later my engine spins a bearing or even blows the engine. BMW would void my warranty for using Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter? I don’t think so! They would have to prove those parts caused the failure. Let’s say BMW does say the Fram filter caused the failure. I would bet Fram would support you in the charges. However you install a tuner and the engine blows I bet the company that made the tuner is not going to support you?
It is the law through the Magunson-moss act that I have the right to put other company’s parts in my car and it is very easy for the car manufacture to say the part caused the failure when in fact it may not be the reason for the failure. To me this is where it gets difficult and I do not want to spend the money or time to fight them over the mods that may or may not contributed to a failure so we do what we have to.
      12-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My car's warrantee ends 07-12. I am considering paying the extra coin for the extended warrantee, but I too am worried about spending that money and then having it voided due to the mods I have done to the car.

Someone mentioned to me that there were aftermarket warrantees available. I haven't researched this, but I bet for the same couple Grand it costs for the extended warrantee, one could purchase an aftermarket warrantee and be covered just as well or better.

Does anyone know anything about any aftermarket warrantees available?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Well, I got burned by a aftermarket warranty company and would not recommend it. The company got bust only 6 month after I paid the 1300.- and I was part of a chapter 11 payout of a full 12.-

Never again anything else than manufacturer warranty.
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Defiantly would like more information on the aftermarket warranty
      12-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
chad29
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
So using your model I change my oil and use Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter. 2,000 miles later my engine spins a bearing or even blows the engine. BMW would void my warranty for using Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and a Fram oil filter? I don’t think so! They would have to prove those parts caused the failure. Let’s say BMW does say the Fram filter caused the failure. I would bet Fram would support you in the charges. However you install a tuner and the engine blows I bet the company that made the tuner is not going to support you?
It is the law through the Magunson-moss act that I have the right to put other company’s parts in my car and it is very easy for the car manufacture to say the part caused the failure when in fact it may not be the reason for the failure. To me this is where it gets difficult and I do not want to spend the money or time to fight them over the mods that may or may not contributed to a failure so we do what we have to.
Actually yes your warranty would be voided for several reasons.

1. Your BMW warranty requires you to use a BMW LL-01 approved oil of the proper viscosity. The only Mobil 1 oil sold in the U.S. that is BMW LL-01 approved is 0w-40. So if you use any other Mobil 1 oil then your engine warranty is gone.

2. As far as the filter is concerned, if it is an OE spec replacement part and it caused the engine bearing failure, then yes BMW would need to prove under the Magnuson-Moss Act that the oil filter caused the failure.

The Magnuson-Moss Act however does not apply to modifications, it only applies to OE spec replacement service parts. If you change the DPs and go CATLESS this is a mod and voids your engine warranty and EPA emission laws for which you can be fined $2500 for each instance of emissions tampering. People often fail to understand the difference between service parts and mods, which can cost them their warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
bentong
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E82 135i

To back up the previous posts, I took my 135i in for service the other day to get the 3rd tail light replaced. I got an Evolve tune. Still replaced the tail light. They're unrelated areas.

I'd find out what the common failures are on the 135 and avoid modifying anything related to it until yuor warranty expires.
Honda CBR600RR
Triumph Daytona 675
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB PELICAN View Post
Defiantly would like more information on the aftermarket warranty
Don't listen to all that say you will void your warranty installing after market parts; see the link below:

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

I'm tired of reading of all the negative comments... Just use legitimate after market parts and companies.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Don't listen to all that say you will void your warranty installing after market parts; see the link below:

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

I'm tired of reading of all the negative comments... Just use legitimate after market parts and companies.
So what I'm getting from reading that is, If i install legitimate aftermarket parts (for example exhaust or intake)... BMW will still have to fix my engine if something breaks ??????
      12-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
So what I'm getting from reading that is, If i install legitimate aftermarket parts (for example exhaust or intake)... BMW will still have to fix my engine if something breaks ??????
+1000...and it is not my opinion, it's from a legitimate source.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Nope. Completely incorrect.

If you install OE spec service parts, then BMW will maintain your warranty unless the parts cause a failure, in which case BMW would need to prove the non genuine BMW service parts caused the failure.

If you install parts intended to alter the vehicle from the OE specs it was built to, then BMW can and will decline warranty service as stipulated in your conditional new vehicle warranty. The MM Act does not apply to alterations, just OE spec service parts.

If in doubt consult your lawyer. He'll be glad to explain the MM Act to you and why it does not apply to alterations.
Appreciate 0