BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Dream1
Rep
Drives: 135i - 2012

New Member & Clutch Splipping at 28K???

Hi Everyone,

I've been surfing 1 addicts for quite some time...Didn't have the resources to own a Bimmer whether new or used, just didn't have the money and with two kids at home trying to save some was up hill. But finally my dream became a reality and about 12 months ago found a pretty well-kept Black 2012 135 6M with about 19K miles...

Then the tuning bug got me again. I had sold my supercharged civic hatch a while back and I really didn’t mess at all with cars since about 12 years ago… Long Story Short, I’ve since then purchased JB4 Stage 2, DPs, Intercooler and Charge Pipe on the power -adding department, got some springs and wheels and……I’m so freaking happy again …didn’t know how much I missed messing with the motor world until I did it again

Thanks for having such a great community and well balanced forum and website…I go to sleep with it just looking and searching for whatever.

My question and, I guess, bad news that I want to share with you is that I think that my clutch is slipping…It seems to slip after I hit 4K in first and second gear. Sometimes it seems more severe than others, and I can definitely smell burnt clutch. The gears are engaging just fine. But definitely the clutch is not biting hard…Not sure if it is glazed…The story is that I have put on the car about 8K miles since I got it and doubt that the clutch will go that fast (of course I don’t know how the PO drove it)…I just need some input from you on how to handle this situation since the car is still on Factory Warranty, and if the dealer doesn’t cover it (they could claim wear and tear), what would be the best way to go, Aftermarket Clutch and flywheel? OEM equipment? I’ve searching and there aren’t many options for the N55…Don’t know if it is just glazed (after some spirited driving ) and need to wait a few days and see if it comes off…I’m not too familiar with German cars since I come from the JDM market…Any advice will be very helpful

Peace
JB
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Glazed or not, you're probably screwed and need a new clutch. Power will do that to you. I'd recommend staying away from Spec, and going with Clutchmasters. Course you're gonna get different recommendations from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Dream1
Rep
Drives: 135i - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Glazed or not, you're probably screwed and need a new clutch. Power will do that to you. I'd recommend staying away from Spec, and going with Clutchmasters. Course you're gonna get different recommendations from everyone.

So the clutch is pretty much gone...what is a reasonable price to pay for a clutch swap? Do you think that I would need a flywheel to?

What about ACT? I really want to keep the same feel of the OEM...I've had bad experiences with aftermarket clutches with Hondas...What about trying to fit a 1M clutch?

As you can see i have a bunch of questions!!!

BTW...nice build out on your AW!

Thanks for your feedback

Last edited by Dream1; 09-14-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Flywheel might be gone too, can't really say until you get in there. If its got heat spots you may have to refinish it or replace it completely. Usually for me all they've needed was a light scuffing.

ACT is pretty popular. I've always felt they couldn't handle quite as much power/didn't have as nice a feel as clutch masters did at the same price point. But I haven't heard many issues with them.

An 1M clutch probably will cost more than an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

OP what was your decision?
Appreciate 0