BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
135iCab
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabrio

Garage List
Post Dinan Stage 2 with JB+ Performance

First off, I don't mean this thread to be a 'which tune?' debate.

This is my first post on the forum... I have been researching and agonising for weeks over which tune to select for my 135i vert. and I am finally coming to some personal conclusions and personal choices (everyone's are different). But, I still have a couple of questions following a bit of background...

For me, the Dinan warranty is appealing. Despite many posts suggesting the piggybacks are undetectable, I've also read a few scary warranty stories from some posters.

My research suggests that the Dinan performance will be significantly less than the main piggyback providers (seems to be ~20rwhp less?). Even though I haven't installed a single mod on my car yet, I can already feel it's addictive power after a 1st track visit, so I am sure I'm going to want to continue to develop the car.

So, my thought was this...if I install Dinan Stg 2, BMW will expect to see higher than stock boost levels etc., so as long as I remove it before taking the car into BMW/Dinan, a JB+ (set to the min setting - as suggested by Terry in a previous thread) might be the safest of all solutions for more power. I know its more money, but as the car is just 6 months old, I really want to protect my warranty (have my cake and eat it, perhaps).

So, Question 1 = Excepting price, does the idea have merit?

Question 2 = what I haven't been able to find is what performance can be expected from the JB+ on top of a Dinan Stage 2 flash? Would it be comparible to a JB3 or other piggyback?

For curiosity's sake, I am planning to dyno my car before and after the Dinan Stg 2 and then again after adding on the JB+ (if I still go this route after I get some replies to this post). So, I could post the results as I get them to add to the available info.

Thanks in advance to all for any constructive advice offered.

Last edited by 135iCab; 06-23-2010 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Anyone?

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Dinan Stage 2 delivers the same power as any tune that's safe with stock intercooler and downpipes, such as JB3 map 5. Stacking JB+ on top is not safe with the stock intercooler and would result in having to cheat Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Have to agree heard bad things about stacking tunes, why not just go JB3 with the BT cable? I know its a little on the unethical side but hell its your BMW isnt it? I have a JB+ turned to the max and a BT cable, no codes were thrown but you never know could happen at any time. For the money I think JB3 + BT Cable is the way to go. If you go anything less you will be looking for more (already bought a JB3 less than a week or so after installing JB+)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 03:47 AM   #5
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Baseline Dyno run booked

Well, I've decided that I want to protect my warranty as much as possible, so I'm going to go with Dinan Stage 2. I won't add the JB+ (at least for the time being). Although, I am informed they make a JB+ designed specifically for the Dinan tune, I am still concerned by the potential warranty problems if I do. Maybe down the line...who knows?

I am booked in for Tuesday evening to record a baseline dyno. Then, on Wednesday morning I get the Stage 2 tune

I'll run the tune for a few days and then go back to the dyno, perhaps at the weekend, to see what the gains I have in practice.

Other developments that I plan are:

1. Quaife LSD
2. Dinan Cold Air Intake
3. BMW Perf Exhaust
4. Dinan Strut Tower Brace
5. Dinan Oil Cooler
6. Dinan Intercooler
7. Stage 3 S/W
8. Dinan Stage 3 suspension (not yet available for the convertible - est. released in 6 months).

I want to do the mods that provide the best performance bang for my buck first, so let me know if you think I should consider changing the build order or add/subtract something (with reasons why).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

I am not 100% on this, but having the Quaife LSD might void your Dinan warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
The High Performance Bushing kit is way more bang per buck than the strut tower brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iCab View Post
Well, I've decided that I want to protect my warranty as much as possible, so I'm going to go with Dinan Stage 2. I won't add the JB+ (at least for the time being). Although, I am informed they make a JB+ designed specifically for the Dinan tune, I am still concerned by the potential warranty problems if I do. Maybe down the line...who knows?

I am booked in for Tuesday evening to record a baseline dyno. Then, on Wednesday morning I get the Stage 2 tune

I'll run the tune for a few days and then go back to the dyno, perhaps at the weekend, to see what the gains I have in practice.

1. Quaife LSD
2. Dinan Cold Air Intake
3. BMW Perf Exhaust
5. Dinan Oil Cooler
6. Dinan Intercooler
7. Stage 3 S/W
8. Dinan Stage 3 suspension (not yet available for the convertible - est. released in 6 months).

I want to do the mods that provide the best performance bang for my buck first, so let me know if you think I should consider changing the build order or add/subtract something (with reasons why).

Cheers!

Dinan is expensive partly because of the warranty. I would spend my money differently and if something breaks, use the money I save by going cheaper. That is if BMW doesn't pay for it.

I wouldn't recommend stacking any tunes. The jb+ is not designed to go on top of Dinan. Just go to Terry's website and read his official marketing. I don't recall anything about designing to stack on Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:

1. Quaife LSD
2. Dinan Cold Air Intake
3. BMW Perf Exhaust
5. Dinan Oil Cooler
6. Dinan Intercooler
7. Stage 3 S/W

Cheers!
With all these mods in mind, why not save the $$, and get the M series 1 model, which will have a great warranty.
      06-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Dinan is nowhere near close the best bang for your buck. If you want the warranty that is not a problem but do not expect anywhere near close to the performance results of Procede or JB3.

If warranty is your primary objective then Dinan is your only choice. If performance is your primary objective then look at Procede or JB3 + aftermarket bolt ons. Good luck and have fun.
      06-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
With all these mods in mind, why not save the $$, and get the M series 1 model, which will have a great warranty.

I don't know about you but the BMW performance package and sticking with the BMW mods would maybe make more sense IF you don't save the money and buy the m1 or just go with cheaper mods. I don't know how Dinan stands behind their warranty because I don't have Dinan parts. I can say that Dinan's warranty has a lot of fine print, Dinan isn't on every street corner and last but not least, I think I would worry about the finger pointing game between BMW and Dinan if a major problem arises. I am not saying I have heard that but I have seen it happen in similar scenario's outside of the car industry. From what I have read and seen, Dinan has a very good reputation.

Good luck though and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the feedback. Some clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I am not 100% on this, but having the Quaife LSD might void your Dinan warranty.
I would use the Dinan LSD, but theirs is only for manuals and I have a step AT. I will discuss options with Dinan on Weds, but I doubt there is anything about the Quaife LSD that they could blame other failures on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Well, I am already feeling the addictive power of modding! And, there isn't an M1 yet, is there? Speculation I've read says that it'll be introduced in mid 2011 and it's not known yet what its make up will be. Unless I'm missing something? Anyway, I just bought my car new 6 months ago, so that isn't really an option right now. Maybe one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Dinan is nowhere near close the best bang for your buck. If you want the warranty that is not a problem but do not expect anywhere near close to the performance results of Procede or JB3.
I'm aware that there are many other options all providing greater performance per $. But, I've decided on Dinan, because of their warranty. I am helped in this decision by the fact my local BMW dealer is also the main Dinan dealer for the area. My 'bang for the buck' question relates to which of the post-software add-ons that I specified I should do first. Or if there's anything I didn't list and should do, or things on the list that I shouldn't do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo135 View Post
I wouldn't recommend stacking any tunes. The jb+ is not designed to go on top of Dinan. Just go to Terry's website and read his official marketing. I don't recall anything about designing to stack on Dinan.
Mike from N54 Tuning (Burger's Canadian distributor) told me that they do a special JB+ designed to go on top of the Dinan tune. I heard mention of it in other threads too. But, I will make good use of the Stage 2 software alone first. Only much later might I add the JB+ closer to the end of my warranty. He also recommended JB3, but my personal choice is go the Dinan route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
The High Performance Bushing kit is way more bang per buck than the strut tower brace.
Thanks. I read the bushings kit description on the Dinan website, but I don't really understand what benefit the kit will provide. Can someone mention how it'll help?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
I read the bushings kit description on the Dinan website, but I don't really understand what benefit the kit will provide. Can someone mention how it'll help?
It is M3 front tension rods plus M3 rear subframe bushings. In brief, it tightens things up.

The original thread on these parts was this one. There have been dozens more threads about these mods since then. It seems like practically everyone has them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
135iCab
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Dinan Stage 2 dyno v Stock dyno

So, I did the dyno again after getting Dinan Stage 2 and I posted the results in a new thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...61#post7646261

Last edited by 135iCab; 07-12-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0