BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

HPFP Warranty Extension?

Hello all - first post for me but hope to make it a regular thing.

I don't own a BMW yet but I am currently considering the possibility of a 135i in the garage in the next 6 months or so (I like to do my research before committing). So, here is my first question to all current (and past) Australian 135i owners.

I'll be looking on the second hand market for the car so I'll be looking at '08 and '09 year cars. Given it's now mid 2011, any '08 car will be either out of warranty or at best very close to it. Given the known HPFP issues I'm concerned that I will need to pay for future replacement of the HPFP (possibly multiple times by the sound of it).

I've read on the US forums that BMW NA have extended the warranty on the HPFP to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Does anybody have absolutely rock solid evidence that BMW Australia have committed to a similar warranty extension?

Also, while I'm at it, is there any difference between the '08 model and the '09 model 135i, if so does it matter and should I be aiming for an '09 rather than an '08?
      06-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

No warranty extension in Aus I believe.

If you're worried you can always pay for a warranty extension provided that the car you buy is still in warranty.

All cars have mechanical failures - don't let the HPFP put you off.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye 135i View Post

If you're worried you can always pay for a warranty extension provided that the car you buy is still in warranty.

+1. and also since the last round of "new" parts and programming there SEEMS to be less chatter about pump failures.

If you want ultimate peace, see if the PO has already had a pump replaced with a new style... ???
      06-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye 135i View Post

1 HPFP - Unlucky
2 HPFP - Annoying
3 HPFP - Pattern
4 HPFP - http://************/bezs6v
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Yep not covered. However i was told they would be lenient on the bill tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
1 HPFP - Unlucky
2 HPFP - Annoying
3 HPFP - Pattern
4 HPFP - http://************/bezs6v
Try this: http://************/6j2r69s
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

I've been doing some reading on this HPFP issue as I'm in the market for a 135. It seems it's prone to happen on both the N54 an N55. The main reason I initially was gunning for an N55 was because to avoid HPFP issues, but seeing as it applies to both, I'm now considering N54 cars too and saving some $.

The dealers I've been asking (some who are ex-BMW techs) say it's more common on the 335 rather than the 135. Shame Aussie dealers don't have official documentation on warranty coverage etc. I do remember that there was something on the news about it sometime last year. ACA or TT stuff.

I'm yet to be an owner, but from my own research, main difference between 08 and 09 is that Sat Nav changed from flip screen to the current cowled screen. Not sure if MY09 cars had the new shortcut buttons around the knob (signifying the current iDrive interface). Not sure if they dropped voice control from ProNav either. Maybe some of the owners can help out.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
I'm yet to be an owner, but from my own research, main difference between 08 and 09 is that Sat Nav changed from flip screen to the current cowled screen. Not sure if MY09 cars had the new shortcut buttons around the knob (signifying the current iDrive interface). Not sure if they dropped voice control from ProNav either. Maybe some of the owners can help out.
The cowl v. pop-up change for pro nav happened from models built in 09/08 onward.

Quote:
The main reason I initially was gunning for an N55 was because to avoid HPFP issues, but seeing as it applies to both, I'm now considering N54 cars too and saving some $.
The N55 and N54 have some different components as well, apart from the obvious turbo charger setup. Depending on whether you want to tune your car you might want to consider this when you make your decision too.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 06-22-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

Got my MY09 in 2008 (late) and it has the new one. All the MY09 cars with iDrive have the new (non fliptop) version.
      06-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've been doing some reading on this HPFP issue as I'm in the market for a 135. It seems it's prone to happen on both the N54 an N55. The main reason I initially was gunning for an N55 was because to avoid HPFP issues, but seeing as it applies to both, I'm now considering N54 cars too and saving some $.

The dealers I've been asking (some who are ex-BMW techs) say it's more common on the 335 rather than the 135. Shame Aussie dealers don't have official documentation on warranty coverage etc. I do remember that there was something on the news about it sometime last year. ACA or TT stuff.

There are more 335i around, and they are older. The newer pumps are better, but they still fail.

The new idrive and fixed screens started on October 08 production which means means most 08/12 compliant models has the new idrive and it has voice control still. I also believe the MY10 has voice control on pro nav, but don't hold me against it.

I don't know if the current MY11 has voice control, but I know I am looking at the 5er and they no longer have voice control as standard.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I got quoted $3,190 to extend the warranty on my (yet to be picked up) 135i an additional 2 years once it runs out this dec... I'll have a think about it. I don't think HPFPs are that expensive anyway, few hundred and if you're keen, you can DIY it and have plenty of practice over the ownership period of your vehicle
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I got quoted $3,190 to extend the warranty on my (yet to be picked up) 135i an additional 2 years once it runs out this dec... I'll have a think about it. I don't think HPFPs are that expensive anyway, few hundred and if you're keen, you can DIY it and have plenty of practice over the ownership period of your vehicle
You make a very good point! I'm fairly handy on the spanners and there is generally nothing I wouldn't attempt to replace myself (the only issue is the availability of time), so...

Does anyone know for sure what a new or reconditioned HPFP would cost?
      06-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

BTW, I am selling my car, check out the for sale section .
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #14
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks Sparoz, I'm trying my best to get a colour other than black but out of interest, what year is your car?

I'd like to PM you to ask a few more questions but I can't find the PM function - might be because I'm just new to the forum?
      06-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle View Post
Thanks Sparoz, I'm trying my best to get a colour other than black but out of interest, what year is your car?

I'd like to PM you to ask a few more questions but I can't find the PM function - might be because I'm just new to the forum?
2009/6 Are all for sale black?
Appreciate 0