BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Ulmi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Read Brake Pads

Hey Guys,

Since the 1M has different stock rear brake pads than the M3 this concludes the following:

Either the rear pads were not aggressive enough so you would loose brake performance or
The pad was too aggressive – thus the rear of the car would lock up before the front and would only be controllable under heavy braking by CBC (corner brake control) correction.

This is probably the reason why only the front performance brake pads were available in the beginning. Now they are not in the ETK anymore.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour with their aftermarket systems?

There was a test in the "Auto Bild Sports Cars" back in 2011 where 7x heavy modified 1M were tested and the best brake result was achieved by the stock setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c71w0fab8d...0Test.pdf?dl=0
Link to the old test

Thanks
Best regards
ulmi

@admin - please edit topic name to reaR brake pads

Last edited by Ulmi; 12-09-2016 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: wrong title
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I ran track pads in front, street pads in back in my old car which had no CBC and it was gnarly when the brakes were cold but very driveable. In practice ABS (even with CBC disabled) will keep anything too untoward from happening unless you are really aggressive and have zero skills.

I really don't know what the hell you're asking though. Once you have some experience on track you'll be going thru different pads and you'll learn what works best.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Ulmi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

There was a reason WHY the M GmbH changed the pads on the rear. I wonder if anyone experienced the two possible outcomes.
Loose rear-end or longer brake distance.

Since when can you deactivate CBC?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmi View Post
Since when can you deactivate CBC?
It needs to be coded out using BMW standard tools or by unplugging the stability control unit which will disable a lot of other systems too.

If I had to guess the pads were probably changed due to some mundane, internal reason. Supply or logistics maybe?

As far as a stopping test by changing pads goes, that's absolute bullshit, because TIRES (and aero if you're going fast enough) are by FAR the most important ingredients for stopping as long as your brakes have the right equipment to tolerate the thermal harshness of track use. The stock brakes and pads are powerful enough to easily lock up R comps if you start on a fresh run. The difference between pads will be negligible until you start running them to the kind of temperatures where they fade (unless you're running one pad vs the other well out of its temp range when starting, which will be the case with real track pads vs street pads). And no, the stock 1M pads will not stand up to racing use, although you can do a trackday with them if you're not pushing very hard.
Appreciate 0